Travel Gear for Ursa Mini

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm going to be doing a bit of work this year that involves travel. (Kyrgyzstan, Haiti, Thailand)
By plane, by boat, by car, by donkey, through mountains, through riverbeds, etc.

Since there's a budget for this year's trips, I can request gear from my department.

I'm planning on bringing my Ursa Mini 4.6k w/ an EasyRig and I need recommendations for:
1. Camera/gear bag that i can use as a carry-on (i can split up gear, if need be, between others going with me)
2. Tripod that can fit in checked luggage (so obviously lightweight)
3. Renting gear that i'm taking overseas
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Deleted.
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

Re: Travel Gear for Ursa Mini

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Peak Design's backpacks work well in overhead bins, though I usually travel with a McHale expedition pack with McHale's bayonet feature, where you can remove the top part of the stays and roll the top half of the pack down to make it day pack sized.

Tripod wise, Really Right Stuff makes phenomenal tripods, but my RRS tripod is one of the larger models; it's rock solid and lightweight, but it's a bit bulky. For everyday travel I've been using a Three Legged Thing Leo, which is insanely compact, and is rated at 60 pounds load capacity, which means it can probably hold almost as much weight as my RRS Versa series 2 tripod... which once I replace the crappy Manfrotto Nitrotech head, I wouldn't hesitate to use with an Alexa. (But not with the Nitrotech.)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:28 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:For everyday travel I've been using a Three Legged Thing Leo, which is insanely compact, and is rated at 60 pounds load capacity, .)

Very cool. What fluid head do you use on it?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:For everyday travel I've been using a Three Legged Thing Leo, which is insanely compact, and is rated at 60 pounds load capacity, .)

Very cool. What fluid head do you use on it?

Right now, none. I got it with an Airhed Switch and swapped the clamp out for one of the panning clamps. It isn't fluid damped, but it's nice and smooth. Comparable to the Arca-Swiss head I used to use for my Arca-Swiss.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Return to Cinematography