Russian vintage lens

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

DorisLondon

Re: Russian vintage lens

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 5:18 am

I own a BM mini 4.6k PL mount camera.
My concerns in regards to these lenses are the lack of sharpness? Being to soft? And there slow speeds. 3.5. 2.8. etc etc.
Any experiences with using these Russian lens in a narrative film and or especially using them in low light?

Any opinions etc would be wonderful to hear about.

Thank you all.

D.[/quote]

I have the Mir-1b 37mm f2.8, Helios 44-2 58mm f2, Jupiter-9 85mm f2, and incoming is the Jupiter-37A 135mm f3.5.
It's hard to describe the sharpness of these lenses, in a way. I am usually stopping them down a stop or two anyway, to try to get some sharpness, but i'll post a video tomorrow of some footage i took using the Ursa Mini Pro and the Mir-1b. I shot it almost completely wide open, using NDs.[/quote]

Thank you Adam for your experience with these lenses, I'm looking forward to seeing the sample footage ( 4k Res hopefully)

D.

Adam Langdon

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Here's some stills at various stops with the Mir-1b...

ImageMir-1b @ f2.8 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

ImageMir-1b @ f4 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

ImageMir-1b @ f3.5 by Adam Langdon, on Flickr

This is just a single LUT (Kodak film thingy) and sharpness set to .47. Wide open, this lens still looks great.

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 2:53 pm

Adam, Yes it does, perfect for your young subject, where an oversharp lens would look too hard.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

DorisLondon

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 pm

[quote="Adam Langdon]

This is just a single LUT (Kodak film thingy) and sharpness set to .47. Wide open, this lens still looks great.[/quote]

Cheers Adam for the examples, Yes I think I can work with these lenses for my needs, the last debate will be......

Go Anamorphic or not?

Example:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... OD4xbU2nov

Any views or experiences in regards to Russian Anamorphics?

DorisLondon

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:24 am

DorisLondon wrote:I own a BM mini 4.6k PL mount camera.
My concerns in regards to these lenses are the lack of sharpness? Being to soft? And there slow speeds. 3.5. 2.8. etc etc.
Any experiences with using these Russian lens in a narrative film and or especially using them in low light?

Any opinions etc would be wonderful to hear about.

Thank you all.

D.

Update!

I have decided to buy a set of PL mount lenses from " Ironglass adapters "
I should receive them in 3-5weeks.
I will write a review here on the forum on my experiences with theses vintage lenses so as to hopefully help others who may decide to go down the " Russian Vintage Prime lens" route.

D.

Thomas Koveleskie

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:02 pm

A local thrift store find and modification success, Vivitar Tokina 28mm f2.5. This is a late 70's or 80's model made by Tokina that is in excellent shape. It had a M42 mount and I successfully converted over to PL mount with some work involved, but fairly easy. I removed the M42 mount and also removed the Auto mechanism layer and its outside ring. I added a center cover that closes off the aperture and then I attached the PL mount with a thin layer of epoxy to the prepared metal to metal lens to adapter. The PL adapter is seated perfectly into the the lens with it's beveled bottom and it focuses to infinity. The images from this look great at f4, f5.6 and is a tad bit softer at 2.5, but is very usable wide open if need be.
Attachments
Vivitar Tokina 28mm f2.5.jpg
Vivitar Tokina 28mm f2.5.jpg (89.11 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Computer: AMD FX-8370 4.2 GHZ 8 core, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 TI, Win 10 X64, system drive OCZ 240GB SSD, storage HD's: 5 TB, 2 TB, 1 TB.

Asok Kumar

PostWed May 16, 2018 11:53 am

Does ,any one know about the Carl Zeiss jenna 180mm lens f/2.8 pl Mount mc(multi coated) sonar lens for using on my black magic Ursa pl Mount camera ,the lens made in Germany,and unused,for 444 USD,is it be in par or less when compared with VP2,expect a early reply regards dr asok

Uli Plank

PostWed May 16, 2018 2:12 pm

If its in good shape, it's an impressive lens. But you know its from former East, do you?
Unfortunately, sample variation is massive on these (as is the lens).
There was a counterpart from Zeiss Oberkochen (west) in C/Y mount, which I own and love. Very good close focus for such a focal length.

Asok Kumar

PostWed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm

I shall give you the serial number of the lens,and it is stated that it is the latest version with mc(multiple coating),

Uli Plank

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:45 pm

That's not the point, they had multicoating, even if not as good as T*.

But they didn't have very good QC, plus many of these lenses have been messed with by people who didn't know better. So, just make sure that you can return it if it's decentered, scratched or anything like that.

Asok Kumar

PostThu May 17, 2018 8:49 am

QC,what u mean by that?

Sean van Berlo

PostThu May 17, 2018 10:36 am

QC= Quality control, meaning there's the possibility of large variation in quality between different lenses of this model.

Asok Kumar

PostThu May 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks,does. Any clue to find its made in good factory ???

Ben Johnston

PostThu May 17, 2018 1:55 pm

There are some great lenses to be had for little money. I think the concern around sharpness comes largely from stills photography, and probably from days gone by. Most of us are shooting with cameras that capture plenty of detail and then delivering at 1080p. I find myself trying to get away from any obvious image 'sharpness' these days.

Not all Russian, but I have the Helios 44-2 (58mm), Jupiter 9 (85mm), Pentacon 135mm/2.8, Takumar 200mm/3.5 and 35mm/2.3. I also have two Tair 11a (135mm) which I loved, but both have knarled aperture blades. It looks like a design issue, so I would avoid and choose the Pentacon instead. I got a gigantic Tair 300mm bazooka, mainly for the comedy of attaching it to a BMPCC... All M42 mount.

There are lots of reviews on Pentax forums, although this has increased the price of the most popular lenses.

The preset lenses, with clickless apertures, make a good 'poor man's cine lens'. Make sure the filter thread isn't dented.

Also worth considering are converted Canon FD mount lenses. I have a 50mm/1.4 from a guy in Scotland calling himself The Lens Doctor. £150, beautiful, use it all the time.

Asok Kumar

PostThu May 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks,I already have helios 44(58 mm,f/2),which I brought from iron glass adaptor,which is good,any way i ordered for the German(?East) sonar 180 mm f/2.8 mc lens,it can be returned if any faults within14days,its a unused lens,the seller has100percentage rating,brought for444 USD

Uli Plank

PostThu May 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Asok Kumar wrote:Thanks,does. Any clue to find its made in good factory ???

Well, it was a pretty small country, they had only one factory. But the offer and conditions you describe sound good for me.
BTW, both versions (Zeiss East or West), are derived from the optical formula of the famous lens developed for the infamous Olympic Games in nazi Germany.

Asok Kumar

PostFri May 18, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks

Asok Kumar

PostFri May 18, 2018 3:01 am

Thanks,one more doubt,all these vintage German still lens produce beautiful images that is nice for still photography,but my doubts is what would be the result when using on movie camera like red,Alexa,Ursa,for shooting feature film on these vintage still lens,please comment on this sir

Uli Plank

PostFri May 18, 2018 5:32 am

Well, no still lens is really perfect for movies if you compare their features. But vintage lenses, well, anything before we got fly-by-wire, are much better than modern still lenses.

True movie lenses have less breathing, more focus throw, identical positions for focus gear and front diameters (in one line or brand), perfect centering and parfocality, if zooms. Because of that (and smaller numbers) true movie lenses are far more expensive.

Finally, you'll need a pretty good tripod for that lens…
Previous

Return to Cinematography