IR-ND filter solution for BMPCC + Panasonic 12-35mm

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

giak04

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello, here is my situation, do you have any advices or solutions?

- I need a IR-ND solution for my BMPCC, used primarly with the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm (58mm).

- I shoot in the Netherlands and in Sicily (looot of sun there). Since I face very different light scenarios, I guess I would need a variable ND filter.

- I am on a tight budget, I'd have problems spending more than 150 Euro in total.

- I don't have a matte box, and since I do lots of run n' gun, I'd prefer to avoid matte boxes.

I am a bit overwhelmed by the options. I heard good things about the Hoya UV-IR filter and the Tiffen Variable ND filter. Do they work well stacked together? They are a bit above my budget, but well, ok... Do you have any experiences and suggestions to share? Does the Tiffen really need the IR filter or not in most situations? Other alternatives? For example SLR Magic Variable ND's? Thank you in advance!

Gary Morris McBeath

Re: IR-ND filter solution for BMPCC + Panasonic 12-35mm

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello,

I have the 12-35 lens, and have used the Hoya UV & IR cut filter for some time. Works well keeping the blacks from turning redish. And the color, when checked by shooting with the "video" rec 709 setting looks reasonably good.

Screwed into that I use a Genustech Eclipse ND Fader. I've had no issues with that filter either, works well. Remember though, even at its brightest setting, the fader will cost you a couple f-stops. I think this is true for most variable ND filters. No problem on good bright days, but can be problematic in winter near dawn or dusk.

I then add a 62 to 67mm step-up ring, and screw in a 67mm collapsible rubber lens hood. The step-up ring & the larger hood is to avoid vignetting.

I have a pretty good eye for color, and with this combination, have not seen any issues in that respect. I do, however, normally shoot in Prores HQ, using the film setting (like film log), not video setting, and grade to a real look in post.

I like to leave the f-stop in the neighborhood of f5.2 - f5.6 for best sharpness, so the ND fader allows quick exposure adjustment without messing with shutter angle or f-stop.

When shooting in my home "studio", I remove the ND fader, since that gives me better low-light capability, and set exposure with the light distance and ND gels if needed.

Outside, I shoot a lot of transportation related content, and in the studio I do short introductions, sometimes using green screen.

Here in the states, the ND fader is about $150 US. Hope this is enough information to help.

Good luck!

Gary

Brad Hurley

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:38 pm

giak04 wrote: I heard good things about the Hoya UV-IR filter and the Tiffen Variable ND filter. Do they work well stacked together?

I have exactly this combination on my BMPCC: Panasonic 12-35 mm, Hoya UV-IR filter, and Tiffen Variable ND filter. They work fine stacked together, although as noted above in Gary's comment you would need a larger lens hood; the lens hood that comes with the Panasonic will not fit if you have the ND filter added (it does work of course with the UV-IR filter, which I leave on all the time).

I have an SLR Magic variable ND filter as well for my other lens, which is an SLR Magic 10mm T.21 cine. That's a great filter, but it's a different size (77 mm) than the Tiffen ND filter for the Panasonic (58 mm). If SLR magic makes 58 mm ND filters (or if you have a step-up ring) you could consider that; the main advantage is the locking feature: I've copied the description here so you understand what it does "For easier, repeatable control over density settings, the front ring is visually demarcated with numbers representing different density values and includes a rotation lever to further enable fast and precise positioning of the front ring. Once the front ring is rotated into a position that corresponds to the desired amount of density, the filter's rear ring can then be turned to lock the front ring into place, helping to ensure consistent exposures."
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 pm

I have a spare Genustech Eclipse ND Fader, 72mm that is available €50, plus shipping, I aslo have the Genustech rubber hood to go with this filter, which is 77mm on the front side, so it will work with a variety of lenses up,to 72mm. Add a 72-58mm stepup ring and you are good to go.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Yes.
We keep a Hoya IR Cut and Tiffen Vari ND on a Oly 12-40mm for a "move small and fast" setup.
The filter combo works really well w/ little color shift or res loss - actually delivers a nice tone and slight softening for closeups especially on sharp lenses like the Oly and Sigma 18-35.

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 11:44 am

I've had consistently good results on the BMPCC with a combo of the Hoya UV-IR filter and the SLR Magic Vari ND filter. I got them both in 77mm and put step up rings to 77mm on all my lenses so the one filter set can be used with all of them. For flare control I added this cheap collapsible rubber hood that screws into the 86mm front accessory thread of the SLR Magic VariND.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013871-REG/general_brand_hr86_86mm_collapsible_rubber_lens.html
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Jack Fairley

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 pm

I use the 72mm Hoya IR cut and Tiffen variable ND on a BMPCC with EF lenses, and I like it. I haven't locked off a shot with and without filters and checked the footage on scopes, but to the eye it doesn't seem to affect the color (except for fixing IR issues).
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

giak04

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Thank you everybody for your answers! Very useful! After some additional reading and watching tests on Youtube, the SLR Magic is the ND that convinces me the most. I saw a video comparing it to the Tiffen, and it seemed sharper, producing less color cast and less prone to IR pollution than the Tiffen. These things seem to variate quite a bit from model to model, though. The extra independent ring of the SLR Magic to adjust polarization can also be pretty useful. It's more expensive, but I will try to find some good deals. Otherwise I might go with a cheaper option like the Eclipse Danny suggested or a Tiffen. I am also going for the Hoya UV/IR, which really seems to be the standard choice.

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Do you want reduced cost or enhanced features and performance? We’re hopefully not talking about anything that will break the bank, so marry enhanced features and performance and live happily ever after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

giak04

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:25 pm

I also bought a new pc and a few lenses lately, I also want a new mic... so yeah, I am definitely breaking the bank... but despite it I do feel very happy!! :D

Return to Cinematography