Ursa Mini XLR + Audio-technica 3.5mm LAV

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Emilian Dechev

Ursa Mini XLR + Audio-technica 3.5mm LAV

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 10:46 pm

So I am trying to use a simple Audio-technica ATR-3350 LAV mic, with the Ursa Mini Pro.

The LAV has a 3.5mm jack, so I connecting it with a XLR-to-3.5mm adapter (Rode VXLR).

The LAV has its own battery, so it does not need phantom or anything.

I cannot get any sound with any settings. Not even a slight signal, just nothing.

Am I missing something? Are the XLR ports of the Ursa, not compatible at all with 3.5mm source, even through the VXLR adapter?

Thanks.

Denny Smith

Re: Ursa Mini XLR + Audio-technica 3.5mm LAV

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 12:59 am

Not likely going to work with out some sort of preamp between mic and camera to get enough gain from the mic. That Lav is a high impedance , unbalanced mic, designed to work with wireless transmitters, or other unbalanced inputs like the small digital audio recorders, consumer camcorders. The UM is a professional camera, with industry standard low impedance, balanced mic input with a low gain mic preamp, so it can not add enough boost to make this mic work.

You have a nice $4K+ Camera, why are you trying to use a $30 consumer mic that is not designed for use on a pro camera? This is a cheap mic and it is going to have a poor sound quality. I spend $200 to $1200 my mics, to get the best sound possible. The right tools for the job at hand.

A video production can have some bad photography, but it must have excellent sound, or you will turn off your audience right away.

Sennheiser makes some lovely XLR balanced, low impedance Lav mics that will work nicely. Audio Techinica also makes some good Pro Lav mics that should work
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Emilian Dechev

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 am

Thanks Denny, I was not aware of that impedance difference. I am not a sound guy, and of course that cheap LAV was not used on a Pro job, just wanted to have a backup system.

So I will look for low impedance LAVs, thanks :)

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm

You are welcome, sorry about the “rant” but I keep seeing people get a good camera, and then try to go cheap on the other bits, not that was what you were doing of course. ;)

Yes audio can be confusing, but if you go by the “type of connector rule”, mist low Z mics have XLR 3-pin connectors, (some older ones have a TRS 1/4 jack), while consumer Hi Z has the little 1/8 TRRS or TRS connectors. The exception here, is a Low Z Lav mic designed for a wireless transmitter will have a locking 1/8 TRS, with the sleve used to get phantom power to the mic.

Still even in the Pro line of mics with XLRs, there is a variety of quality, and the best way is to rent and test some different units until you find one in the price range you like the sound of. Like any audio instrument, you need to listen to how it works. There are also several different sound pickup patterns with Lavs, do a search on line for more details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sean van Berlo

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 8:57 am

This is a stupid question but if you wanted to pair this camera with for example a wireless go (which are excellent dual mic receivers that we currently use on pockets), would that be possible with an adapter?

Howard Roll

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 4:52 pm

The 3.5mm trs output of the 3350 is dual mono, a trs to xlr adapter will cause phase cancellation (no sound) in the Ursa’s balanced inputs. Instead use a ts mono to xlr adapter or a trs to unbalanced left right like this guy.

Good Luck

0BB0E13D-DC49-4DA1-9412-E442915E9CBC.jpeg
0BB0E13D-DC49-4DA1-9412-E442915E9CBC.jpeg (117.01 KiB) Viewed 708 times

Return to Cinematography