BMMCC Footage Saved on Video Assist Problem

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

astrocom

BMMCC Footage Saved on Video Assist Problem

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 2:49 pm

I did my first travel video on a BMMCC with the 5" Video Assist. The problem is I only inserted one SD Card in the Video Assist as I thought it would be easier to control the recording buttons on the touch screen of the Video Assist instead of the teeny weeny buttons on the BMMCC.

My problem is that to my horror my footage also captured everything that is seen on the screen of the Video Assist including all the information along the top and bottom of the screen as well as the green focus lines. Are all my footage screwed or is there a way to remove them in Da Vinci Resolve?
Could someone kindly give me a direction how I could remove the unwanted information and green focus lines?

Denny Smith

Re: BMMCC Footage Saved on Video Assist Problem

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 pm

You had the monitor overlays on the Micro Camera turned on! This is why you recorded all the overlays generated by the camera, as the VA will record everything in the video stream on the input. You need to go into the Micro menus and turn off the monitor overlays to get a “clean” video signal to the VA, and use the overlays on the VA instead, which do not record. You should have seen the double status line on the VA.

I always recommend that when using new equipment, go,out and run some tests first, before shooting a Ying important to make sure all is well, and issues like Camera monitor overlays are turned off, and their are not other issues. BM camera equipment, while easy to use, is not a go out and “point and shoot” product.

To make setting the camera settings a quicker and more convenient, you can get one of Phill Lemon’s One Little Goat Remotes, that put the camera settings on dedibuttons using the DB15 connector on the side of the camera, with it you can make all the camera shooting settings, including lens settings, Iris f/stop and focus with MFT auto lenses, camera ISO, FPS, etc. The remotes also have a push to record/stop button, and comes in several models.
Sorry, I am not sure you can remove the overlays on the video, as it is “baked :idea: in” the ProRes recorded file. Someone else might be able to comment on this, but any fix is not going to be a simple one.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:36 pm

As Denny says you aren't going to remove the recorded info.
Here's my solution that may well work depending on the client and other footage that may be part of it - but if it's a one off project then this is an actual, potential solution.

A couple of years ago we were producing an Olympic profile piece and there was a sponsor banner at the venue that I learned later couldn't be shown. It was the interview so it was in a fixed position above the athelete. My solution was to make it psuedo "anamorphic" wide screen with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio adjustment.

Honestly, it may be the simple and aethetically fix. I've certainly done faux wide screen like this on certain projects (did it a lot in the SD 4:3 days to make things look more "Filmic".) And instead of explaining a screw up you can tell your client it's an artistic choice.

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Nice tip Jim, but that is not going to get rid of the green focus highlights on the main subject, which is in the screen center or more... so the OP lost his entire travel video on this one I am afraid. :cry:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Nice tip Jim, but that is not going to get rid of the green focus highlights on the main subject, which is in the screen center or more... so the OP lost his entire travel video on this one I am afraid. :cry:
Cheers

Ouch then. I didn't realize the peaking was recorded.

Return to Cinematography