Genlock / Stereo Sync?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bruce Allen

Genlock / Stereo Sync?

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 am

Dear Blackmagic Awesome-Team

For us crazy folks who want to buy not just one Blackmagic Cam... but MANY of them: how do we sync them up?

I have four of your 4K cams on order. Boy would it be nice to genlock them in some way and do magical stereo / multi-view computational photography motion capture madness.

Is there some kind of hack we can try in order to sync up the shutter timings? How about if we hook them up to the same power source then hit the switch at the wall to turn them all on at the same time?

I don't really care about timecode or even getting them all to start on the same frame. I can sync that up in post with a clapper board. What is key is aligning the start of the sensor scan within the same few milliseconds. This can't be too difficult since machine vision cameras do this all the time and GoPro does it with their $300 cameras.

I am TOTALLY GAME to void my warranty, sign any NDA necessary or beta test whatever you need. Please just lay that sweet sync-ness on me. I don't want to have to resort to GoPros and I don't have the cash for a stack of frikkin' RED Scarlets. You guys are cooler that anyway. Help me Blackmagic, you're my only hope.

Here's my email: boacinema (at) gmail.com

I am not insane BTW. I have been on many a Beta program and have actually worked on a bunch of good stereo stuff. I have worked with Vince Pace, the Avatar stereo meister. I just finished up stereo trailer titles for Iron Man 3. I know my stuff-eth. I promise to make you folks looks really good if I ever get to shoot any footage with your cameras.

Anyway, happy week to you hard working folks.

This was a fun first post on your forums.

Thank you.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

James David

Re: Genlock / Stereo Sync?

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 10:33 am

+1

spike

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 10:54 am

I hate doing the +1 thing as I think it's slightly internet geek, but I want genlock soooooo much that I'm going to go against everything I think about internet geek-hood and say...

+1
BMD products: -
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo
Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

taj

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 pm

+1
I've requested the genlock feature since the first BMCC 2.5K camera.
Taj Williams

maheelrp

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 am

Yes. I have also requested Genlock for the BMCC. Thanks Bruce. I hope we receive some positive response from Blackmagic.

Return to Cinematography