Buying Ursa mini pro now or wait?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Julia Sand

Buying Ursa mini pro now or wait?

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 2:48 pm

I have been thinking of buying Ursa mini pro, but should I wait for the next camera or sensor instead? I have bmpc4k so am familiar with Blackmagic but one thing I am missing is the ability to shoot at different resolution in raw, sometimes I need 4k, other times I could be fine with just hd.

Not sure if I should buy mini 4.6k or the pro. They look very much a like, but I need a cfast-card or two and think bhphotovideo have a good deal, Ursa mini pro with two Angelbird cfast card for 5995.

Donnell Henry

Re: Buying Ursa mini pro now or wait?

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi Julia, my advice would be to wait until NAB 2018 . April 8 is when you will see their new products if any, revealed at NAB. It’s about 2 weeks away. They may announce a new camera that fits your needs. If not, then you can always jump on the Ursa mini pro deal with the angelbird C Fast cards. The 4.6k’s are great cameras. Good luck
GODS CREATE

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Julia Sand wrote: bhphotovideo have a good deal, Ursa mini pro with two Angelbird cfast card for 5995.

Wow, yes, that is a really good deal! Purchased separately a pair of those cards costs $780.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Aaron Green

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Julia, I'm selling my 4.6K EF w/ a CFast card. If you have some good NDs it might be an option worth checking out. :)

JeffVasquez

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:49 pm

wait

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 6:52 am

I'm the same idea of others.
I moved from bmpc4k to UMP and I very happy of upgrade, but at today, if I need to buy, I will wait two weeks to see if there is news. Also if there is a new camera, and you decide to buy ump, may be price cut down. Wait

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

David Peterson

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:51 am

Julia Sand wrote:I have been thinking of buying Ursa mini pro, but should I wait for the next camera or sensor instead? I have bmpc4k so am familiar with Blackmagic but one thing I am missing is the ability to shoot at different resolution in raw, sometimes I need 4k, other times I could be fine with just hd.

Not sure if I should buy mini 4.6k or the pro. They look very much a like, but I need a cfast-card or two and think bhphotovideo have a good deal, Ursa mini pro with two Angelbird cfast card for 5995.

If you're shooting in raw and changing resolution that will ALWAYS mean a sensor crop.

I'd rather shoot HD in ProResHQ
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Return to Cinematography