LANC controller prospects for BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Loch Phillipps

LANC controller prospects for BMCC

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 pm

I just got the Manfrotto MVR901EPLA and it works well with the camera. It controls record/stop, iris, and focus on my Canon EF 16-35mm. Really, I want it most for the first 2 controls. My only problem with it is that it's designed for use with a tripod and it's hard to see how I'd fit it on my rig for handheld work. I do see that you can unscrew the main controller and separate it from the arm. From there I could probably jury-rig it onto the rods of my rig. I'd lose the focus control in the process.

It seems a poor solution if there are other LANC controllers in the pipeline that might better fit my needs, so I'm thinking about returning it. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about other LANC controllers being designed to support the BMCC.

I've been told several times that I'm barking up the wrong tree to try to make a run and gun camera of the BMCC but feel it's worth trying. In general, I'd love to have any information about peripherals being designed to support the BMCC that can be added to a handheld rig. I have mostly a Shape rig, but with some other components as well.
Loch Phillipps

Claudio Rufa

Re: LANC controller prospects for BMCC

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Is it possible to do a "smooth" focus with that controller ?
Thanks
Claudio Rufa
Italy

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Well BMD states on the support>
1.Manfrotto MVR901EPLA
2.Bebob ZOE-DVXL

But as they are both Sony/Canon supported Lanc controllers you can use any Sony / canon compatible LANC controller.

The only issue is that the MVR901EPLA is currently 1 out of 4 LANC controllers existing that support Iris control.

Most Lanc controllers don't have Iris control as it was not part of Lanc protocol when it was designed by Sony many year ago..
As only a hand full of camera's today support Iris. And BMD is one of them. (some newer Sony's and the new HD series from Canon Prosumer do have iris over Lanc)

But if you don't care about Iris control from your Lanc controller you can buy any you like as long it is compatible with the Sony Lanc protocol. ;)

I have to note that some users reported very erratic and unresponsive behavior with BMCC's that were used with LANC. But it seems that not everyone has problems with it.. Maybe some firmware update that solved it.. Not sure at this moment.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm

@Nico,

Smooth focus is somewhat difficult.. The DSLR lenses do focus in steps rather then smooth..

You will notice some jumpy focusing. If you want ultra smooth focus your only bet is an external follow focus system..

Preferable not based on Servo motors. These are somewhat twitchy in behavior.. I do use external servo motors with my own controller at this moment on 5D mk3 in my crane. But at random the servo will make little erratic movements as these things are build for model flying and RC cars.. Not for controlling lenses
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Loch Phillipps

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 6:24 pm

As for how "smooth" the focus is on the Manfrotto, it seems smooth to me. But it's easy to overshoot focus with it. I didn't play around with it that much.

What I am primarily interested in is a LANC controller that gives me record/stop and iris controls. I'll keep my hand on the lens for focus and zoom. Perhaps it's time to write Manfrotto a note since they seem to have the best one out there.
Loch Phillipps

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Because I could test a BMCC today I had my 2 lanc controllers with me:

Manfrotto 521Pro Failed!! Did power up but after that no status, no rec control. :?
Libec ZC-3DV Record worked as it supposed to!

austinflack

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 11:09 pm

I have this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... emote.html

It works perfectly for start-stop, and decently for focus pulling (it's too fast). Sadly no iris support, which is really a whole lot more necessary than the focus pulling, since when the camera is on my shoulder the iris buttons are impossible to reach.
Austin Flack
www.austinflack.com

ChrisBarcellos

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 12:28 am

I have the Zoom Commander controller, and in expensive one, that I bought many years ago. While it has a focus capability, I cannot get my Canon 18-55 mm T2i kit lens to focus. All I can do is start and stop.

Here is link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Zoom-Comman ... 2ec7604967

Return to Cinematography