Frame rate question

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brad Hurley

Frame rate question

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 10:55 am

I've been doing a lot of reading on frame rates, and have a basic question:

If I'm the only one working on my projects (i.e.,not handing over to anyone else to do audio), and I'm only planning to put them on Youtube and Vimeo, no other distribution, is there any reason to choose 23.98 fps versus 24 fps?
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Donnell Henry

Re: Frame rate question

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 pm

From what I understand 23.98 is a frame rate used mostly for television, dvd’s Etc. It’s way more technical than what my post suggest. It’s an old standard. 24 FPS is used for film. You can use either one without seeing much or no difference at all. I would say if you were shooting for tv, dvd, etc.. then use 23.98 specifically. For your shoot that would end up on YouTube ..you can use either one. Just make sure you keep all your shots the same frame rate.
Last edited by Donnell Henry on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GODS CREATE

Brad Hurley

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Donnell Henry wrote:From what I understand 23.98 is a frame rate used for television. It’s an old standard. 24 FPS is used for film. You can use either one without seeing much or no difference at all. I would say if you were shooting for tv then use 23.98. Since it’s youtube just simply go with 24 FPS for your shoot.

Thanks; from everything I've read, it makes a big difference depending on your final intended distribution (broadcast, film, BlueRay, etc. etc), and also if you're hiring out the audio work separately, but Youtube and Vimeo accept all common framerates so it seems like it shouldn't matter if that's the only intended destination.

John Brawley

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:I've been doing a lot of reading on frame rates, and have a basic question:

If I'm the only one working on my projects (i.e.,not handing over to anyone else to do audio), and I'm only planning to put them on Youtube and Vimeo, no other distribution, is there any reason to choose 23.98 fps versus 24 fps?

In the US 23.98 is used (even when shooting on film), mostly because of issues to do with sound post and legacy equipment.

The rest of the world that isn't the US and Japan uses straight 24 (or 25)

JB
Last edited by John Brawley on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

Frame rate question

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 4:55 pm

The funny numbers are the even integers dived by 1.001 and only apply to NTSC television as far as I know. Film has used 24 fps for many decades. If viewing on computer monitors, whole numbers and their multiples apply such as 24, 25, 50, 60... fps apply. Some monitors and televisions today may even support 240 fps with 120 seeming to be a standard.

It appears the logic is often in the playing device to cope with the anomalies. Best to be consistent in a video as Donnell mentioned or your playback may have problems.

Edit
Began replying before John’s post re 23.98 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 5:11 pm

There is also an extensive discussion at reduser:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread ... 3-98-VS-24
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Chris Tempel

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 2:32 pm

If you're doing it all yourself, you can shoot whatever you want. I personally use straight up 24 fps because it's a cleaner number to work with. My pipeline involves Avid Media Composer, Pro Tools, Resolve, Nuke and Blender. I've not had any issues at all so far sending projects between all the apps and everything stays in sync. I just make sure to use a 2-pop at the start and end of a project until I'm ready to make the master to ensure everything is in sync.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Chris Tempel wrote:If you're doing it all yourself, you can shoot whatever you want. I personally use straight up 24 fps because it's a cleaner number to work with. My pipeline involves Avid Media Composer, Pro Tools, Resolve, Nuke and Blender. I've not had any issues at all so far sending projects between all the apps and everything stays in sync. I just make sure to use a 2-pop at the start and end of a project until I'm ready to make the master to ensure everything is in sync.

Thanks, that's a good direct answer to my question! I had done a lot of research already on frame rates and was familiar with the reasons (and uses) for 23.98 vs. 24 etc., but didn't want to paint myself into a corner by using 24 and then finding out down the road that I should have used 23.98.

I think the best argument for sticking with 23.98 is that at some point in the future, I could conceivably (but unlikely) work on a project for broadcast, and if I wanted to use some of my old clips (for B-roll, for example) it would be simpler if they were in 23.98. On the other hand, since a good amount of my footage will be shot in Europe, one could just as easily argue that I should use 25 fps for the same reason. ;)

My current aspirations do not go beyond Youtube and Vimeo, and it's likely to stay that way for a good long time.

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm

If you rare in EU, I would stay with 50Hz setting on the ca era dnd 25fps, as you will have less flickering issues with lights, and 25FPS is the EU standard for your market.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Denny Smith wrote:If you rare in EU, I would stay with 50Hz setting on the ca era dnd 25fps, as you will have less flickering issues with lights, and 25FPS is the EU standard for your market.
Cheers

Thanks, Denny, I'm actually based in Canada, but will be shooting quite a bit of video in France for this and other future projects. Nearly all of it outdoors; one shot indoors, for which I will just change the shutter angle to 172.8 and see if that addresses flicker.

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Well, that should work. Good luck.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography