Okay I will start it - NAB 2018 Predictions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Wayne Steven

Re: Okay I will start it - NAB 2018 Predictions

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 4:27 pm

You mean modular MicroStudio
(PS, don't tell Denny).

I hear rubbish a lot, even from engineers. You definitely can do a descent 4K camera in an head size. You simply got to stop blaming the components and get better available components. NVIDIA does a little cchip that can take many 8k feeds at once. Qualcomm does a phone chip that is designed to take several cameras. Ambsrells has an 8k chip/chips, but even there old hc2 in the you 4k+ is doing uhd 60fps at over 240mb/s I think. More than enough for a low end provideo camera.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Ohhhh yes, the zcam e1 creator (smallest m4/3rds camera. A small mini like thing, but probably smaller) is talking about showing 4k120fps at his booth at NAB. This also would be the frame rate you might use 4k at on an 8k p30 camera.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 4:36 pm

None of the products you've cited are able to record imagery that would compare favorably even to what you can get with a Pocket cinema camera. They're not at all designed around professional use.

And most of the consumer/toy 4K cameras are capped at around 100 MBps for 4K, which is pretty anemic.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 4:51 pm

It might help if you read first? 240mb/s is not 100. I suspect the new chip.l might be upto 500. The nvidia was the biggest integrated processor chip in the world, and has enough processing power to outdo anything in the current BM stable for cinema. Qualcomm is the weak link. I don't know how much.you can get by bypassing the hardware codec, but again it probably makes the pocket look weak, but wherever it can match anything in the current BM stable, I don't know, but it would be weak compared to the NVIDIA. Can it run a mini 4.6K using a realistic cinema codec, maybe. However, I suspect it will be hot.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 5:06 pm

What, what? Tell me what.... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:It might help if you read first? 240mb/s is not 100.

I did read it. It doesn't change the fact that most modern consumer cameras are capped at 100 Mbps. DJI still sells drones with cameras that are capped at 60Mbps for 4K (which is terrible).
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Brawley

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Wayne Steven wrote: More than enough for a low end provideo camera.

No pro video camera would work at that data rate. It's too low and too compressed even at 4K + 24 FPS.

Grant hates compression. The first BMCC originally ONLY did RAW. ProRes was added later, let alone compressed RAW.

They're never ever going to make a compressed only video camera. Compression isn't pro.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Yes, and even the first Hyperdeck Shuttle, was uncompressed only, and that pre dated their first camera.
I do not think you are going to see any compressed codecs past what has already been provided with ProRes, and the current slightly compressed Raw we have now from BM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Craig Marshall

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 9:31 pm

I remember that. It seems like an eternity ago but it isn't. First, the uncompressed Shuttle based around a fast SSD then at the next NAB, it was mated to a CMOS sensor. Voila, the original BMCC! Stroke of Aussie Genius, that.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Yes, and I still have that Hyperdeck Shuttle 1, from the first batch distributed. Still makes a good HDMI/SDI Converter (and the other way round also). Originally, had it hooked up to my Sony (SD) ENG Camera instead of using the camera’s tape deck.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 pm

John Brawley wrote:They're never ever going to make a compressed only video camera. Compression isn't pro.

JB

Depends on the compression... but BMD's method is a good one -- use compression for raw that's scalable, and keep offering uncompressed, and add mezzanine codecs as an option. But either way, I don't see Grant moving away from the focus on raw being the primary recording format. The current method makes too much sense.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

Okay I will start it - NAB 2018 Predictions

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 12:57 am

Another 4K option on the horizon may be these 1” sensors with global shutter from ON Semiconductor XGS 12000/8000:

https://www.cinema5d.com/semiconductor- ... +272699400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 1:42 am

Yes Rick, I had a read in those. Very interesting!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Craig Marshall

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 am

Cinema5D.com? Are they serious? That sounds sooo last Century... :D
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 7:01 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:It might help if you read first? 240mb/s is not 100.

I did read it. It doesn't change the fact that most modern consumer cameras are capped at 100 Mbps. DJI still sells drones with cameras that are capped at 60Mbps for 4K (which is terrible).

And that has nothing to do with what I was talking about, example of how you can get pro level 4k recording processing in the massive head size of the micro. I doubt even the 845 can't be made to do more than 100mb/s.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 7:09 am

John Brawley wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote: More than enough for a low end provideo camera.

No pro video camera would work at that data rate. It's too low and too compressed even at 4K + 24 FPS.

Grant hates compression. The first BMCC originally ONLY did RAW. ProRes was added later, let alone compressed RAW.

They're never ever going to make a compressed only video camera. Compression isn't pro.

JB

John, virtually all provideo cameras do compression, even raw compression and prores. Pro video camera start at 144mb/s h264 4k, for years. Television has been using it that way fur aong time. Generally they are 200-300mb/s prefered on the pro camcorders. I think Toshiba or Hitachi did a 600mb/s intra. At that rate you have visually lossless, and little issue with artifacts.

If you expect the cheapest pocket camera to be top notch, like the 8k weapon, I don't think so.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 7:22 am

rick.lang wrote:Another 4K option on the horizon may be these 1” sensors with global shutter from ON Semiconductor XGS 12000/8000:

https://www.cinema5d.com/semiconductor- ... +272699400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, you want them to use a Red sensor? I'm pretty convinced they are the Red sensor supplier. If you guys remember how I showed old newer versions of the micro studios sensor In a previous thread. This one is likely much better. I'm interested. But why stick the old one in the broadcast camera. Also, notice how it says 1/1.1 inch, the old 1 inch was slightly larger than s16.

This was the sort of sensor I wass looking for, aimed at 2.9 cm by 2.9 cm cameras.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 7:33 am

Rick thanks. I've stopped reading over there, so would have missed that.

What guys have to undetstsnd raw isnt Bayer, and raw Bayer is not.tje greatest
I'd rather a 3 color pixel technology. If you better pictures, a camera with a good version of that old foveon x3 technology, is good.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:40 am

I've gone through the original press release and draft document (not much there) at on semi. It's revealing. The 8mp is orientated to broadcast etc. The original media release says much without saying much. Pixel structures, but what is mentioned sounds like other words for what is already used, except for the variable resolution, but what does that mean, we already have binning. It does however say lower energy and lower thermal envelope.

I'm hopeful to see products announced with this. But it maybe latter this year, as it starts in Q3. So if there is an announcement at NAB, it could take a while.

So, what chip does the broadcast mini use?

John Brawley

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:
John, virtually all provideo cameras do compression, even raw compression and prores. Pro video camera start at 144mb/s h264 4k, for years.

No they don't if they have a Blackmagic badge on them.

No Blackmagic camera will ever only be 264.

Blackmagic care about bit depth and high data rates.

Every single Blackmagic camera has this. NONE of them are only compressed or only 264.

This is their DNA. You're not really getting it.

Wayne Steven wrote:If you expect the cheapest pocket camera to be top notch, like the 8k weapon, I don't think so.
[/quote]

Their best selling cameras "only" shoot 1920, yet they shoot with high bit depth and little or no compression. That's why they still sell so well and have become cult cameras.

No cares about this stuff your peddling. I have a Z camera and it's cute enough but the PICTURES are pretty average. THAT is what people care about, not some specs on a data sheet.

Arri have done very well for a DECADE making only a camera that doesn't hit 4K. These kinds of sepcs are only a small part of the imaging result story.

Your priorities are wrong if you think an 8K 264 camera is something to get excited about.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:John, virtually all provideo cameras do compression, even raw compression and prores. Pro video camera start at 144mb/s h264 4k, for years.

Panasonic took quite a bit of flak from several cinematographers for having a data rate like that on a pro camera at the $8000 price point. Deservedly, IMO; that level compression is for delivery, not for acquisition.

Television has been using it that way fur aong time. Generally they are 200-300mb/s prefered on the pro camcorders.

Those data rates are OK for ENG cameras. No cinema camera forces data rates that low for 4K or more. Some use much higher data rates than that for 2K.

If you expect the cheapest pocket camera to be top notch, like the 8k weapon, I don't think so.

You're the one pushing for that silliness. Everyone else is point out why that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 3:23 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:
John, virtually all provideo cameras do compression, even raw compression and prores. Pro video camera start at 144mb/s h264 4k, for years.

:That is not all pro video cameras is it? A bad example drop in the pond. Most BM portable cameras are not even really pro video cameras, they are cinema cameras. Big difference. One is professional to business, turn over use, the other funny

:That's a contradiction, you know that pro video cameras often do 4:2:2 10 or 12 bits. They can do 16 bits of setup right with the right sensor. You can run h264 at 600mb/s and basically have near the level of compression quality of many cinema cameras.

Every single Blackmagic camera has this. NONE of them are only compressed or only 264.

:Doesnt at all prove it can't be done. That is a religious belief.

:No, I am a real product technologist and I know what markets

Wayne Steven wrote:If you expect the cheapest pocket camera to be top notch, like the 8k weapon, I don't think so.

Their best selling cameras "only" shoot 1920, yet they shoot with high bit depth and little or no compression. That's why they still sell so well and have become cult cameras.

:Nothing to do with the cheapest quality option? Real 4k competition would make sakes tank. The past does not prove the future. A lot has to do with their color rendering. There are many fadests out there willing to jump on board.

No cares about this stuff your peddling. I have a Z camera and it's cute enough but the PICTURES are pretty average. THAT is what people care about, not some specs on a data sheet.

:Nobody. John. Sieve in the data sheet tell you what the picture will beike, but they rarely bother people with those level of data sheets. Your confused the conversation again, nobody was saying the E1 was good, some people actually like it, I don't. I've communicated with its creator on a higher level spec, so let's see what we get. The new chip may well be a 5 years newer version of what is in the micro studio, an recordable uncompressed feed to a VA would be handy, or a 12 bit 4:2:2 300mb/s+. I believe my point was that, rather than.being falsely accused of peddling the e1 or this one, was that better 4k sensors and pro video level (rather than top cinema level) could fur in a small cheap package without MELTING IT/HEAT ISSUES, which seems to be the popular past time around here.

Your priorities are wrong if you think an 8K 264 camera is something to get excited about.

Its not my priorities that are wrong.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:John, virtually all provideo cameras do compression, even raw compression and prores. Pro video camera start at 144mb/s h264 4k, for years.

Panasonic took quite a bit of flak from several cinematographers for having a data rate like that on a pro camera at the $8000 price point. Deservedly, IMO; that level compression is for delivery, not for acquisition.

:Rakesh, the bottom pro quality and the top delivery rate quality have been bruadet the same in the past. The first JVC pro video camcorder, the first, was exactly this, with an earlier version of the micro studio sensor technology. They got bagged a little, but that is the pro video market. If you want something that hangs together well, get a 300 mb/s camera. If you want better again, get a 600mb/s camera. If you want to perfect, get a better camera again. Remember, was it 28 days, shot on Canon DV's, and woeful. Even an action camera could beat that. It's not something made up work where things have to be perfect, it's what you do with what you got, in a reasonable way (no more Canon DV's please).

Television has been using it that way fur aong time. Generally they are 200-300mb/s prefered on the pro camcorders.

Those data rates are OK for ENG cameras. No cinema camera forces data rates that low for 4K or more. Some use much higher data rates than that for 2K.

:You notice I was not taking about cinema cameras, but pro video, which you could use for cinema if you really wanted, as a good level of professionalism video tends to be a low level of cinema

You're the one pushing for that silliness. Everyone else is point out why that's not going to happen anytime soon.

If the shoe fits... No, it is you guys acting like a cheap camera has to have the highest quality like an 8k Weapon. But be appreciative if it has visually lossless 4k or 8k, don't expect too much. So, it is totally valid that they can do a new cheaper camera with 4k, even 8k. Totally valid it would have compromises for the price, but you don't need perfection to start out with a B or a C camera, and you need to something better to sell the upmarket cinema camera. Totally valid that people would buy it and instead of the existing one. And this is valid in part because you guys have not presented a good argument, and instead srguef against whatever truth, and have been making up what I have been saying (alternative facts I believe you virtual leader calls them) and throwing in red herrings out of some spirit to waste the night. So not something I need coming back online after having just chemically burned my legs.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:
John Brawley wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:

:That is not all pro video cameras is it? A bad example drop in the pond. Most BM portable cameras are not even really pro video cameras, they are cinema cameras. Big difference. One is professional to business, turn over use, the other funny

:That's a contradiction, you know that pro video cameras often do 4:2:2 10 or 12 bits. They can do 16 bits of setup right with the right sensor. You can run h264 at 600mb/s and basically have near the level of compression quality of many cinema cameras.

:No, I am a real product technologist and I know what markets

:Nothing to do with the cheapest quality option? Real 4k competition would make sakes tank. The past does not prove the future. A lot has to do with their color rendering. There are many fadests out there willing to jump on board.

:Nobody. John. Sieve in the data sheet tell you what the picture will beike, but they rarely bother people with those level of data sheets. Your confused the conversation again, nobody was saying the E1 was good, some people actually like it, I don't. I've communicated with its creator on a higher level spec, so let's see what we get. The new chip may well be a 5 years newer version of what is in the micro studio, an recordable uncompressed feed to a VA would be handy, or a 12 bit 4:2:2 300mb/s+. I believe my point was that, rather than.being falsely accused of peddling the e1 or this one, was that better 4k sensors and pro video level (rather than top cinema level) could fur in a small cheap package without MELTING IT/HEAT ISSUES, which seems to be the popular past time around here.

Its not my priorities that are wrong.

Dude. Don't argue with Brawley man. He has way more street cred then you (he has been the DP on many TV series) and is the major first tester during development for all black magic cameras. He knows what he is talking about.
Last edited by Clayton Von Isaacs on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

John Brawley

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

You miss the point. I'll say it again.

It's just not going to happen.
Wayne Steven wrote:

You can run what ever numbers you want and that YOU THINK are good enough, but it's like saying Tesla will make a small energy efficient gasoline powered car. I'm trying impart to you what is culturally the view of Blackmagic design...their ethos is to not limit their products to "only" be a 264 product. Why would they do it ??

You're trying to pitch they should do the very thing that sets them apart from every other camera manufacturer out there. I don't think anyone actually wants this ?

You're posting in a thread about BMD NAB predictions to suggest they will do something they've never done and that is actually what marks them as a major point of difference against all others.

Can you think about why it's illogical to keep on doing this in a forum of CINEMATOGRAPHERS who've been ripped off for years by camera makers who've ONLY done bit depth and data rate limited low cost cameras that have been artificially limited because of product segmentation.

Finally a camera manufacturer makes products that aren't limited by trying to protect other sectors and just deliver high bit depth uncompressed recording and robust compression in production proven acquisition codecs rather than adapting higher efficiency codecs designed for delivery not aquisition like 264 is.

Wayne Steven wrote:

No it has to do with being the ONLY camera that has high bit depth RAW and ProRes recording, The VERY REASON the colour is liked is because it survives the compression you're advocating. It's been 5 years since the pocket and still no one else has done anything like it.

Wayne Steven wrote::Nobody. John. Sieve in the data sheet tell you what the picture will beike, but they rarely bother people with those level of data sheets. Your confused the conversation again, nobody was saying the E1 was good, some people actually like it, I don't.

You are the one who brought this camera into this discussion as an example of another manufacturer. You are making a case for what you think should be done. If you want this argument to stand then let's look at the actual quality of the pictures that come from the camera. That's why the 1920 Micro and pocket outsell the MUCH CHEAPER 4K Z / E camera in the same size sensor.

Wayne Steven wrote:I've communicated with its creator on a higher level spec, so let's see what we get. The new chip may well be a 5 years newer version of what is in the micro studio, an recordable uncompressed feed to a VA would be handy, or a 12 bit 4:2:2 300mb/s+.

Yawn. They will announce it an no one will really go for it because the pictures will be garbage if it's compressed to nothing at such a low data rate. If the bit depth is that low at 12 bit and 4K what's left for picture IQ ?

You can argue all you like but everytime I see the phrase "visually lossless" I know straight away that really means "production useless" because that means I have to be happy with what I get out of camera because there is no robustness to the file for grading or post correction.

An iphone shooting at 4K is visually lossless but try to pull a key and you very quickly find how useless visually lossless is. It's a meaningless garbage marketing phrase to anyone who cares about image organization.

Visually lossless only applies to watching, not working with images.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 8:01 pm

And anyone seriously using cameras like the Panasonic GH5S, are recording to an external recorder to get useable footage. Same goes for the Eva1, internal recording is very limited, and an external recorder is required for Raw and any codec like ProRes, and this is an $8K Camera! While the Ursa Mini Pro is running circles around both...

BM has stated several times, they are looking for a new 4K small sensor that can give them the quality image they need, so why settle for less. Meanwhile, they have pushed their existing 1.1-inch 4K sensor in the Ursa Broadcast to a new limit, increasing the dynamic range over the Micro Studio, but both are still behind the 4.6K sensor IQ and DR wise.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:51 pm

This is exactly why we wait for the next gen small BM camera whether it be an advanced Pocket concept or an advanced Micro concept.

I've purchased and rented most iterations of smaller 4k cams in the last two years to see if I could integrate them and nothing so far can compare to the Pocket and Micro as far as small cameras go.

I love the feature set of inexpensive cams like the GH5 or Sony AR....evfs IBIS, touch screen, dedicated buttons, as well as prefering super 35 sensors or even MFT to super 16.

So their must be a serious reason why we still opt to use marginal interfaces (by comparison) like the Micro instead.

It's a pretty simple discussion in that regard. If we're here talking about what might be next for BM cameras, it begins and ends with the color science and codecs that got us here.

MelFeliciano

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 am

USB 3 Type-C and HDMI 2.0 across the board. I know is boring, but it is a safe prediction :)

PaulDelVecchio

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 3:16 am

Man. We fought all those years to get even 10-bit 4:2:2 and then Blackmagic comes around and gives us RAW and now we want to go back to h.264? No thanks. It's like how we fought for 24p and then when we got it, everyone wants to shoot 48-60fps.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 3:33 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:Man. We fought all those years to get even 10-bit 4:2:2 and then Blackmagic comes around and gives us RAW and now we want to go back to h.264? No thanks. It's like how we fought for 24p and then when we got it, everyone wants to shoot 48-60fps.

Right.
Clayton Von Isaacs

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 4:58 am

Clayton Von Isaacs wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

Dude. Don't argue with Brawley man. He has way more street cred then you (he has been the DP on many TV series) and is the major first tester during development for all black magic cameras. He knows what he is talking about.

Lots of inflammation from people here, in an attempt to make a camera company appear perfect rather than practically progress. You should check out instead, the technical street cred. Not even many engineers have that. Not elitest, it must be the best or walk stuff, and let everybody on the street down. Maybe these people should stop caring about themselves and start caring about others. Maybe they would realise I'm talking beyond h264, as h264 is the minimum thing they can do to ad recording to a micro studio head without overheating. But I have given enough examples of things that can run a raw video and cinematic codec, like cineform (and as people with street credit in the technical game knows, raw codecs are often used compressed) invalid pocket camera. Instead of saying pro video cameras don't use compression, when nearly every pro video camera does use compression, and that only the most obvious of things that don't hold mustard.

If they want to record 400-880-1720 (for new 3d hfr standard) Mega Bytes per second in a pocket camera Bayer raw, let them. Until cheaper high speed high capacity storage comes through, that's not practical for pro steet video. They are just being unreasonable for the sake of it, and deep down they know it, that's why they are being reactive. A TV network would laugh you out of the room (well a lot of head shaking in disbelief at least I imagine) if you insisted doing uncompressed 4k footage like this archival, particularly for the around town news cycle, even probably fullhd, let alone RAW. You guys are saying, in effect, BM is less smart (I'm rewriting this to remove realistic terms) with a capital, for including compression codecs on their cameras for this sort of video. What flagrant disregard for truth. How insulting to everybody. You think because a favourite camera company did things one way, everybody else in the universe must 'conform' or be beaten, what over the top ness, when that company is going against your ideas by supporting professional video industry standards already. This for daily footage they know will be delivered at less than 20 mb/s h264, even less than 10mb/s, that is the delivery format, and if you are filming local in your own business, which they often pay you little, 36mb/s+ Bluray for special events, and uhd Bluray at some more than that h265.

Using a film camera for TV series is vastly different then pro video. You could shoot a commercial in Mini DV years ago, and the local station would just hook your camera up to s-video and ingress it in. That's the sort of thing you used to get in pro video. Asking for prime handover, ready to use prime video, is not unrealistic. And anybody that thinks that that is too low a level to film something for cinema, is crazy. It maybe low end cinema, but it's still enjoyably watchable.

Now, let me old school you guys about this delusion. It is the sensor lattitude and performance which makes great pictures on less than 10mb/s mpeg2, not the codec. Which you can pick up on very technical data sheets. When hunting for sensors to use, I normally knock most off just on basic performance specs, because I KNOW what they will look like (which is one reason consumer cameras don't like using them). But finding better information is harder, like performance curves to show how lattitude response with gain etc (tells you what setup gives you the extra stops and which ranges don't). Watch the beginning of episodes of Becker to see how a codec does not matter so much is the image pickup is not great. The reason why people used Canon DSLR's years ago, even on House, which had a lousy codec. That's what gives a picture it's professional tone, levels and colour (the reason the pocket looks good at all) but something improving over time so that more cameras get there. So good sensor, on good pro video codec, will look cinematic, baked in even (the look is still settable to cinema quality, rather than news quality when you make the camera), like anybody with good technical skills would know. Even phones are being overdriven in data rate given a better look, and used in films (not the most ideal look given they are shrinking then at the same time, counteracting improvements somewhat).

if somebody doesn't respect the truth, or anybody talking the truth, how much street cred do they have?

Our ABC is corrupted, here after nearly 45 minutes of a half an hour news bulletin they have just finished with the ball tampering news story, which they had on before the news cycle, for a less than a minute news story, when people have an erratic cyclone hanging around, which they have just give 4 minutes to, and I guess the more important anti gun rallies across the US and the world as well will be a short one. The same sort of spirit that is here.

John Brawley

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:24 am

A single episode of House was shot using a 5D for STORY reasons. One of the best reasons ever.

They never used it again. Hardly an endorsement.

I saw Unsane last night. I thought it looked pretty bad and the choice to shoot it on a iPhone did not add to the story telling either. It was an otherwise interesting premise that didn’t benefit at all in my view from being shot like a traditional movies using an IPhone.

I agree with the reviews.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/23/1715 ... claire-foy

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:11 am

John, I do not wish to talk with you. You do this a lot. You misinterpret things into something else, miss accusing me. You talk about what 'you think' despite what was said that was on a different track and to answer different points than those made. You apply religious like belief in faith of how a company should act to suit yourself, rather than the majority. To bind up the expanse of what they can do, limiting them to one small market, rather than allow them to do best for the price, or to include practical industry standard acquisition. So, nobody gets a 4k pro video recording head that doesn't overheat because ... Nobody gets a cheap 4K pocket pro video camera that doesn't overheat because .... No, it has to be only be what you say, and the competition can steal millions away. If they can do a $500 4kp50/60 12 bit 4:2:2 pocket camera for the type of filming you dont want, then let them. If they can do a $1000 8k camera to do the sort of filming you don't want, then let them. If they can fit a raw codec at those resolutions in, even better. I'm not limited. Did it ever occur to you that even if they could only support the full resolution with a lesser codec, they might be able to manage 4K or 2k with a prime codec in the same camera, and next model might get the full thing then. But that means they are in the market with the best they can do 1-3 years earlier, keeping the competition at bay. Not doing this, classically, only invites somebody else to fill vacuum. Which is how SI, RED and BM got started. But the raw Bayer quality BM archives can be done at lower price. So in business you can't just sit still and get overun by the new kid. Besides, Red is coming down the top end as well into 8k cheaper cameras. Red likes price, so there is likely to be room under them. Practically it is extremely costly to go it alone and make technology of their level outright from scratch (though there are weaknesses that this mass market product is likely overcoming. ASIC requires high numbers to make this chips cheap. FPGA has even more liability, as they run hot, and are costly. That is where mass market Application Specific Integrated Circuits, as processing solutions come in, as the cost of development and production is shared among all manufacturing customers into the millions, making them incredibly cheap for what they can do compared to fpga or much low volume asic).

You also don't understand compression, you set up an acquisition codec different from the delivery, they also have various levels under the same name. So delivery quality, or the quality from another camera, does not matter. The camera you are on can be setup by the manufacturer with certain qualities, or desirable qualities. The initial prepping of the image can be setup to be more aggressive on the contrast and colour, or less. But the reality of compression itself is the higher the data rate, the less difference between compression routines. So, at 1:1 many should be the same. At 2:1 some will testing lossless compression, at 3:1 many will not, and maybe a few above 4:1 these days. I imagine that BM still uses compression at below 2:1 to maintain lossless. Red, has access to very good technology, and so 3:1+ should be possible, even above 4:1. To look at a similar performance codec, visually lossless on cineform Bayer is around 6:1, but goes up to 10:1 from memory (though maybe I've got those values shifted after all these years). Visually lossless is the range you want fur cinema. How much BM does visually lossless at the moment, I didn't know, but don't see that high. Maybe 4:1. But, it is likely that BM's raw compression ratios goes beyond what is needed to maintain visually lossless. 300 mb/s h264 on a good camera should be visually lossless (as this is how the industry sets these rates for rntry level pro video cameras in the digital era). Saying it always has to be more is indexed.

However, I strongly suspect, that if you look at the performance curves in the colour filter, you will discover why it's colour is so good. Any tests out there on pure primaries and complementaries to test the colour gamut?

Hmm, here is another missaplication and miss accusation. I showed that there is a new better version of the zcam coming out. I've also shown over time that it uses a bigger sensor etc without heat issues. All in answer, as per only usual, to miss information being spread by others. Doesn't at all say BM should or could make something as low end as the E1. The with is at least one or two grades down in sensor and more so in compression rate, before I think it's good enough to use even as a recording head. The most bazaar accusation. But side tracking to prove a point not raised. If the new one has the hc3 chip in it, with pro video modes (12 bit 4:2:2 +) running at full speed, then that would be different. However, if we can hook it up to a VA with a good sensor that would be good.

Wow! You really went to town on zcam. I remember an issue of Your Computer years ago, which had a drawing of the editor looking into his crystal balls, predicting future technogy. The past does not predict the future. You have no idea of what he will release, and I'm the only one of us that have even bothered to talk with him. The 300 mb/s statement does not even warrant another response.

Visually lossless, is where pro video production cameras start. Why do you think they had 10 and 12 bit 4:2:2 vussuslky lossless on a 8 bit 4:2:0 delivery of half the data rate or less, to colour grade and correct the image, that's what it was designed to do. An Apple doing visually lossless, you don't mean the standard datrates rates, that are far too low do you? How familiar are you with 300-600? After you get rid of artifacting it goes towards picture quality. You must be thinking some rubbish sensor, put through a compromised processing path to a 100 mb/s h264 codec is the same as a good sensor with an uncompromised compression path at 300 mb/s. Also, h264 has dramatically improved too. You should also calculate the numbers on the old cinema delivery furnats, to see how low they are. There were a lot if cinema production people that near miraculously saw lossless compression quality on Reds 7-9mb/s delivery codec. I think there might have been drinks around at midnight. It likely was just as poor as a cinema delivery. That codec is generations ahead of h264, but it shows, it is not the bit rate, but what you do with it. Also, there is a dramatic difference between h264 between cameras. Done are pooir, and you shouldn't make rash judgement. They were exceedingly poor before ambarella came out. Ambarella was using a higher h264 profile on those little cheap cameras, which was much better per bit than any of the h264 from camera makers I remember. So much so, the better camera makers licensed their technology. So, tools and camera makers not using prime h264 are going to likely look lousy. So, the question is, what are we looking at when we see these things. I also would like to state, I have no reason to believe that a top camera maker won't sabotage the h264 quality on an entry level pro video camera, compared to their higher end model at the same bit rate. Again, one example dies not predict the other (except you know that they want you to spend up big on the more expensive model). I would suspect that BM could make it also do the max.

Now, I forgot in the reply before. That not everybody wants raw. That it adds dramatically to the costs of storage and computational power, as these days GPU cards have circuites that favour h264. On the street, prime h264 is more than enough often. So, the h264 option makes sense on the lowest end, but nobody I know of is making prime h264 at the low end (it's too good). So, there is a frantic two in the market there (which boosting phone video might touch, but those phones are expensive and often a little sensor with a little lens).

But I notice rather than acknowledging, you often shift the argument away from the actual points made, my points. If you fellows want to argue against some odues points, I suggest you stick to them and only address them.

Now enough of this ranting against me.
I've wasted 6 hours giving reasoned replies I didn't need to.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:24 am

John Brawley wrote:A single episode of House was shot using a 5D for STORY reasons. One of the best reasons ever.

They never used it again. Hardly an endorsement. JB

Stop side tracking, you know what I mean. :) The sensor rather than the poor smudged out codec is the reason people used it in different productions. It's irrelevant it wasn't used much, but remarkable that a DSLR was used in productions, and that was because of the sensor giving the image. My point. So go and replace the sensor in the pocket with one from a cheap phone, and see how good it looks using the codec.

PS, I know it was only used once, I expected you would know too.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:30 am

Second last post was written in response to an earlier post of John's.

Now, guys. Nobody is saying you have to go back to whatever. But you are all a very small minority in pro industry terms. I'll stick up for the majority. (And p24 support was ok for a few years before digital cinema took off. Now I'd rather 50fps+ myself, I can make that 24p, 25p, 48p and 50p).

Frank Glencairn

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 9:39 am

timbutt2 wrote:I had this marketing person for some energy powder ask me about creating some video content they could use on Instagram Stories & Snapchat. When I asked if they meant Vertical video they said "yes."

.. I guess I'm old. But, it is something that I've noticed a few more people are asking for now that it exists.

Vertical video is a crime, and should be punished.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Frank Glencairn

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 9:48 am

John Brawley wrote:
Grant hates compression.

JB

I second that.

Uncompressed video (and outstanding signal quality) was the whole point, what made me buy the first Decklink card, as soon as it was available.

I always embraced that uncompressed/highest possible quality attitude of BM.
Since that day, our post workflow was always uncompressed till delivery. Back in that days, we even captured DigiBeta material uncompressed, for editing/post.

That was like 15 years ago - feeling kinda old now :P

Frank Glencairn

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 9:52 am

Craig Marshall wrote:Cinema5D.com? Are they serious? That sounds sooo last Century... :D

LOL, yes, that's the problem you get into, when you name something after a hype :D

Remember when Red named their file format "R3D", because they thought 3D would be a thing?

timbutt2

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Remember when Red named their file format "R3D", because they thought 3D would be a thing?

Stereo 3D is still a thing. In fact, I did just do a set visit on a major motion picture being shot natively in 3D. I can't say too much at this time due to NDA. However, I will be writing an article on it and sharing the interview Q&A parts as the movie gets closer to release. It looked incredible in 3D. The way they're shooting it really enhances the 3D. 3D is not dead, it's just hibernating as more people discover the craft that goes behind it and appreciate good and properly shot native stereo 3D.

That's part of the reason I'm continuing to push for 3D features. So, my asking for a 3D setting to enable S3D and enable labeling the camera "Left" or "Right Eye" stems from that desire to have those tools available for when you want to shoot 3D. Additionally the URSA Mini's & Resolve do need to handle HFR better because S3D is enhanced by shooting and projecting in HFR. Like Billy Lynn, which was done in 120 FPS 3D and at the 4K resolution per camera. That requires a really fast workflow to handle the bandwidth to play two 4K videos at 120 FPS back in realtime.

So I would love for the next URSA Mini to be able to handle those higher frame rates. That would benefit the 2D guys as well since they would get more slow-motion options. 4.6K at 120 FPS would be amazing in either 2D (slow-motion playback at 24 FPS) or 3D (playback at 120 FPS). However, I think the weak point beyond the URSA Mini processor and cooling is the CFast 2.0 Card Write Speed. I'm sure the next generation of CFast 2.0 cards would be fast enough since capacity and speed can continue to be pushed.

Either way, I wouldn't put the nail in the coffin on 3D. It always comes back around. James Cameron is doing his Avatar sequels in 3D and HFR. 3D always re-emerges with better technological advances to make the experience better for the audience.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

John Brawley

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:
John Brawley wrote:A single episode of House was shot using a 5D for STORY reasons. One of the best reasons ever.

They never used it again. Hardly an endorsement. JB

Stop side tracking, you know what I mean. :) The sensor rather than the poor smudged out codec is the reason people used it in different productions.

No.

In 2010 it was because this was a very small camera that could allow narrative style drama shooting. In that episode the story called for a very physically small camera. They used it for a single episode then went back to "normal" way they shot House and did so for many years. This was when RED was barely shipping and the first Alexa had just been announced.

If it was really for the way it looked then they would keep shooting it.

But we know that's not what happened.

I don't determine what BMD chooses to make. I'm just telling you what I know from having consulted and worked with them since before they made cameras.

You can invent as much as you like, but I don't think you're going to change their thinking.

I'm a pragmatist. I work with what's been released and is available to buy right now. We haven't even started this revolution properly because the same big box companies STILL don't make cheap RAW cameras.

They still segment artificially by compression and bit depth.

They still shoot proprietary RAW formats that aren't truly open and require a "secret sauce SDK" to work.

It's coming up to 6 years since the BMCC was launched. Nothing has even replaced it for DR, on-board codec flexibility and price.

I want more of that. I don't want "compressed only" when there are already plenty of options that do that TODAY.

I don't want 264 compressed even if you think it's "good enough" for acquisition (it's not in my opinion). it's a compromise at best and I want to keep the option to not have it thanks.

I want BMD to continue to innovate, not to do what others already do and make cameras that are only compressed.

I want a camera that does not limit me.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:
Clayton Von Isaacs wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

Lots of inflammation from people here, in an attempt to make a camera company appear perfect rather than practically progress. You should check out instead, the technical street cred. Not even many engineers have that. Not elitest, it must be the best or walk stuff, and let everybody on the street down. Maybe these people should stop caring about themselves and start caring about others. Maybe they would realise I'm talking beyond h264, as h264 is the minimum thing they can do to ad recording to a micro studio head without overheating. But I have given enough examples of things that can run a raw video and cinematic codec, like cineform (and as people with street credit in the technical game knows, raw codecs are often used compressed) invalid pocket camera. Instead of saying pro video cameras don't use compression, when nearly every pro video camera does use compression, and that only the most obvious of things that don't hold mustard.

If they want to record 400-880-1720 (for new 3d hfr standard) Mega Bytes per second in a pocket camera Bayer raw, let them. Until cheaper high speed high capacity storage comes through, that's not practical for pro steet video. They are just being unreasonable for the sake of it, and deep down they know it, that's why they are being reactive. A TV network would laugh you out of the room (well a lot of head shaking in disbelief at least I imagine) if you insisted doing uncompressed 4k footage like this archival, particularly for the around town news cycle, even probably fullhd, let alone RAW. You guys are saying, in effect, BM is less smart (I'm rewriting this to remove realistic terms) with a capital, for including compression codecs on their cameras for this sort of video. What flagrant disregard for truth. How insulting to everybody. You think because a favourite camera company did things one way, everybody else in the universe must 'conform' or be beaten, what over the top ness, when that company is going against your ideas by supporting professional video industry standards already. This for daily footage they know will be delivered at less than 20 mb/s h264, even less than 10mb/s, that is the delivery format, and if you are filming local in your own business, which they often pay you little, 36mb/s+ Bluray for special events, and uhd Bluray at some more than that h265.

Using a film camera for TV series is vastly different then pro video. You could shoot a commercial in Mini DV years ago, and the local station would just hook your camera up to s-video and ingress it in. That's the sort of thing you used to get in pro video. Asking for prime handover, ready to use prime video, is not unrealistic. And anybody that thinks that that is too low a level to film something for cinema, is crazy. It maybe low end cinema, but it's still enjoyably watchable.

Now, let me old school you guys about this delusion. It is the sensor lattitude and performance which makes great pictures on less than 10mb/s mpeg2, not the codec. Which you can pick up on very technical data sheets. When hunting for sensors to use, I normally knock most off just on basic performance specs, because I KNOW what they will look like (which is one reason consumer cameras don't like using them). But finding better information is harder, like performance curves to show how lattitude response with gain etc (tells you what setup gives you the extra stops and which ranges don't). Watch the beginning of episodes of Becker to see how a codec does not matter so much is the image pickup is not great. The reason why people used Canon DSLR's years ago, even on House, which had a lousy codec. That's what gives a picture it's professional tone, levels and colour (the reason the pocket looks good at all) but something improving over time so that more cameras get there. So good sensor, on good pro video codec, will look cinematic, baked in even (the look is still settable to cinema quality, rather than news quality when you make the camera), like anybody with good technical skills would know. Even phones are being overdriven in data rate given a better look, and used in films (not the most ideal look given they are shrinking then at the same time, counteracting improvements somewhat).

if somebody doesn't respect the truth, or anybody talking the truth, how much street cred do they have?

Our ABC is corrupted, here after nearly 45 minutes of a half an hour news bulletin they have just finished with the ball tampering news story, which they had on before the news cycle, for a less than a minute news story, when people have an erratic cyclone hanging around, which they have just give 4 minutes to, and I guess the more important anti gun rallies across the US and the world as well will be a short one. The same sort of spirit that is here.

You are missing the point. Yes they used the 5D one time on house for a point as John pointed out. They used it on 24 a a crash cam.They also used it onsite movies as a crash cam until the BMCC and pocket care came out because of it's RAW capability and its ability to match the Alexa. But again. BM has tased from the beginning they will always be a RAW company. They do not do in camera sharpening or anything else in camera for that reason. They believe in only providing a RAW image for you to manipulate in post. Stated it millions of times. They have Pro Res only if you don't want to shoot RAW because Grant is also Mac guy. They are supposed to have dnxHD in it but that has not developed Ido not think. But you are missing the very point John is making. First they are a RAW company. They worked hard on getting a compressed visually lossless RAW only because of SSD and storage limitations at the time. Second when we were stuck with other lesser codecs on the various film boards everyone cried for a low cost RAW camera. BM delivered. If you do not like that they don't shoot in the flavor of codec or data rate you want, then there are other companies that make cameras that do. Your passionately arguing something that is a moot point.
Clayton Von Isaacs

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:52 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
Frank Glencairn wrote:Remember when Red named their file format "R3D", because they thought 3D would be a thing?

Stereo 3D is still a thing. In fact, I did just do a set visit on a major motion picture being shot natively in 3D. I can't say too much at this time due to NDA. However, I will be writing an article on it and sharing the interview Q&A parts as the movie gets closer to release. It looked incredible in 3D. The way they're shooting it really enhances the 3D. 3D is not dead, it's just hibernating as more people discover the craft that goes behind it and appreciate good and properly shot native stereo 3D.

That's part of the reason I'm continuing to push for 3D features. So, my asking for a 3D setting to enable S3D and enable labeling the camera "Left" or "Right Eye" stems from that desire to have those tools available for when you want to shoot 3D. Additionally the URSA Mini's & Resolve do need to handle HFR better because S3D is enhanced by shooting and projecting in HFR. Like Billy Lynn, which was done in 120 FPS 3D and at the 4K resolution per camera. That requires a really fast workflow to handle the bandwidth to play two 4K videos at 120 FPS back in realtime.

So I would love for the next URSA Mini to be able to handle those higher frame rates. That would benefit the 2D guys as well since they would get more slow-motion options. 4.6K at 120 FPS would be amazing in either 2D (slow-motion playback at 24 FPS) or 3D (playback at 120 FPS). However, I think the weak point beyond the URSA Mini processor and cooling is the CFast 2.0 Card Write Speed. I'm sure the next generation of CFast 2.0 cards would be fast enough since capacity and speed can continue to be pushed.

Either way, I wouldn't put the nail in the coffin on 3D. It always comes back around. James Cameron is doing his Avatar sequels in 3D and HFR. 3D always re-emerges with better technological advances to make the experience better for the audience.

It is a thing in film but not a thing in the market most people here are in. Cameras were made for it but it did not take off in that market. Thats why companies making cameras in this price range are not putting that feature on anymore.
Clayton Von Isaacs

John Brawley

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 6:08 pm

timbutt2 wrote:

Stereo 3D is still a thing. In fact,

mmm, i don't know Tim...

Haven't all the TV manufacturers stopped making 3D TVs ?

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Denny Smith wrote:And anyone seriously using cameras like the Panasonic GH5S, are recording to an external recorder to get useable footage. Same goes for the Eva1, internal recording is very limited, and an external recorder is required for Raw and any codec like ProRes, and this is an $8K Camera! While the Ursa Mini Pro is running circles around both...

Denny is super right

I had gh5, and against my old Bmpc4k, gh5 is good until you touch color, try to grab color key to manage simple correction between two cameras, you discover many blocking and more (150mbit gop). Today is better with 400mbit intra but is heavy like a prores that I can record from va4k, but not so easy to edit...

Compression is evil if you want to edit a bit color, if you need to edit a lot... god save the queen

Gh5 give you excellent 10bit 4:2:2 video, but nothing against a simple prores of Bmpc4k (2013 camera), different beast.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:05 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:I had this marketing person for some energy powder ask me about creating some video content they could use on Instagram Stories & Snapchat. When I asked if they meant Vertical video they said "yes."

.. I guess I'm old. But, it is something that I've noticed a few more people are asking for now that it exists.

Vertical video is a crime, and should be punished.

Ah ah Frank I admire you a lots from years, but I have customers that ask them for vertical panels in advertising, for bus stop station and more ...

timbutt2

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:47 pm

John Brawley wrote:mmm, i don't know Tim...

Haven't all the TV manufacturers stopped making 3D TVs ?

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776

JB

Technically, yes, the TV manufacturers have stopped making 3D TVs. However, I'm looking at the theatrical experience here. As I said, I just visited the set of a 3D feature film shooting now that will be hitting theaters in 2019 in 3D. So 3D is alive and still a thing for theatrical features.

3D TV can come back. As the article pointed out the issues that existed with TV were all those variables that killed it. I think 8K TVs would be most beneficial to 3D as opposed to 2D. 4K vs 8K is practically difficult to discern unless you have a massive screen. So 4K is all that is needed for a 2D TV experience. However, 8K would allow for the TV to use Passive Glasses technology, which is cheaper, and that would result in the resolution being cut in half for each eye to be 4K. That works perfectly for optimum 3D resolution. Next is that HDR has helped greatly improve the brightness of the TVs. The article you shared stated this. So 3D will benefit from 8K and HDR tech being in TVs.

As the article went on to state about broadcast and the switch from analogue to digital, the digital switch has increased with streaming winning over broadcast. I don't watch any content through the normal cable box anymore. I watch through an AppleTV 4K connected to my 4K HDR TV. 3D is easy to implement with streaming. Far easier than the other methods. As I remember the pain of dealing with getting the 3D channels I understand why 3DTV died. Yet, "what is dead may never die."

Apple, Amazon, and Google all have the perfect platforms to win the streaming boxes over cable/satellite boxes. And, it's as easy as uploading the 3D version of a movie or show next to the 2D version. Just as 4K HDR is recognizing which standard your TV handles the switch is handled behind the scenes. So HDR10 and Dolby Vision versions are stored on the servers and the TV determines which one you see. The same can happen with 3D. All that is required is the hardware and a fast internet connection.

Moving beyond TV though the key is to focus on the theaters at this time. As an art form 3D needs to flourish with talented artists making quality 3D films that audiences are excited to see. This means that native 3D shooting needs to take precedent over conversion because it was conversion that killed the business. There are some politics here that I won't go into, but to put it simply the conversion companies actively tried to kill the native companies in competing for the business. Native 3D is the best form of 3D. Getting quality native 3D features out is the key to keeping the art alive.

A bit of a long winded response. However, I'm still passionate about 3D. Especially after seeing what that feature is doing with the format and the technology. I'd give more details, but can't at this time due to NDA.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jim Giberti

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 7:55 pm

[quote=]I had gh5, and against my old Bmpc4k, gh5 is good until you touch color, try to grab color key to manage simple correction between two cameras[/quote]

Exactly my issue, though I'm sure a lot of people love the GH5 and it's a wonderful affordable small camera.
I probably mentioned that I've bought (or rented) about every modern small 4k camera - meaning Sony mirrorless, GH5, even the Canon XC...

I've done this because as much as I love the Micro and Pocket as small cameras in our kit, our big cameras have evolved to 4k so I've been hoping to evolve there as well.
It's no different than Blackmagic's own philosphy - they're not going to invest in the development of anymore HD cameras.

So my choice was and is simple. After trying all these cameras, I loved their interfaces and the cameras themselves that run circles around any of the small BM cameras as far as shooting goes. But the image simply doesn't compare to any BM...as you say, even 5 years on.

And so we wait.

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 10:26 pm

The sensor and the image from the 2012 BMCC finally met its match with the sensor and the images promised in 2015 and delivered in 2016 in the URSA Mini 4.6K. 2018 represents another three year gap. Will 2018 bring the promise of an improved sensor and image? Or will it deliver a new sensor and image this year the way the refinement (the URSA Mini Pro) was announced and delivered in 2017? If not in 2018, then it may be 2019.

There’s no three year rule, and any repeating cycle for change can exhibit some variance, but it seems to me in the future, when we look back on BMD’s history of development, it will look like every three years, give or take a year, BMD will show us significant change, perhaps best described as revolution, but something they’ll describe as their evolution.

That’s also apparently in their DNA.
Rick Lang

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 pm

My view is they have to release the Fairlight panels this year. They released Resolve 14 with pro post audio abilities last year with the promos of the panels. They know no post house switch over to Resolve with Fairlight without the panels. They can not go another year without them or they kill the momentum since. And they are already built so there is no real R&D on their end. They most likely are just retooling them a bit like the Atem with things that make it cheaper to make and in the same body style that all of their panels are now with the chrome like the Mini panel and the new ATEM.
Last edited by Clayton Von Isaacs on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clayton Von Isaacs

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 11:45 pm

My hope is simple, no more cameras, do only more develop on hardware just sold. Bmpc4k start like simple prores camera and grow a lot with options and more not announced tools. She stop her life after 4 years with her last firmware update.
Ursa mini 4.6k and pro and broadcast are just born, there Are a lots of space about improvement, and they leave space to do that.
I hope more compressed raw version like red, a different way to cooling sensors ( you know that heat cause a lots of video noise), more codecs like dnxhr (need to be enable on mini and mini pro) or better a cineform raw, more metadata from lenses, I had many lenses that are recognized and readed from camera but not recorded in metadata, more iso from luts for people that need immediately result, a small denoiser for people ( not me, I prefer to manage all in post) that not want to manage post, or cannot for time (broadcast area).
Too much cameras are like android or windows world : a lots of wasted powers be cause you fragmented developing of hardware and software, and you cannot really optimize power result ( please see axiom project, I’m once of backers but a real camera will arrive 5-10 years later).

PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography