URSA Broadcast EF Lens Compatibility?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

markmatt

URSA Broadcast EF Lens Compatibility?

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi,

I've noticed the very handy EF lens compatibility thread for URSA Mini's. I'm wondering if this list changes for URSA Broadcast cameras? I know there are are many similarities but if the Broadcast camera has a different sensor, how much of an effect will this have on compatible lenses?

I'd be grateful for any advice on this from anyone already using an EF lens on an Ursa Broadcast.

Denny Smith

Re: URSA Broadcast EF Lens Compatibility?

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm

None other than the field of view will be less, a normal field of view lens on the Broadcast Camera is around 18mm. The compatibility thread is more to do with the EF Mount electronics issues and which lens will work on the Mini EF Mount. But, you will have to buy the optional EF Mount.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 3:23 pm

So here is a topic with what lens is compatible with the broadcast camera..
LINK
But reminder.. The Ursa Broadcast comes default with a B4 mount.. And is build for the B4 mount..

You can replace the mount and put a EF mount on it, As far as i understood.. But you have to buy the mount seperate.. And it is nowhere near the image plane of the 4K or 4.6K.. So the only reason i see you want to stick a EF lens on a Broadcast version is price point.. :? I dont see any other advantages.. Bit more like dis-advantages as the sensor is more build for B4 use and the question is.. That EF at the moment is not supported in the firmware.. As they developed this model in first place for B4 mount. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

markmatt

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks for the link. That's useful advice!

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 10:02 pm

EF is supported in the current firmware for the URSA Broadcast. It was supported in the Camera 4.6 Update.

You just need to remove the 4K B4 mount and add an URSA Mini Pro EF Mount. Then all of the same EF lenses that work with the Mini Pro will work on the URSA Broadcast.

Yes you will get a narrower field of view because of the smaller sensor but using EF can be a very effective way of getting an extra couple of camera angles. Given the huge amount of EF lenses out there in the field it is very easy to choose a nice EF prime or zoom for a good price to provide a camera angle that doesn't need the zoom range that you get with B4 lenses.

You might not use them for run and gun but certainly in a multi-camera setup in a studio this is very handy for an extra locked off camera or two.

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:37 pm

My thoughts exactly Tim, and the Nikon F mount as well. The one thing that keeps this from being the “perfect” solution Camera for me, is that an MFT mount option was not included, it would have been a great upgrade from the Micro cameras. Perhaps a second, smaller Broadcast camera based on the MFT mount FFD. So it could use B4, PL as well as the EF and Nikon mounts could be developed, if sales of the new Broadcast camera holdup. Not everyone needs the long reach of the B4 ENG zooms, and there is some wounderful F/T and MFT lenses available. Yes, I can add a PL mount for the S16 PL lenses, but that leaves the Veydra MFT lenses without a home. :(
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Denny i rather would see the Micro Studio camera get a 12G Full UHD upgrade.. There is your MFT mount and there is your No display locked off shot camera.. ;)

Also we would finnaly be able to make a PTZ 12G UHD camera to match the Ursa's on our 12G OBV. :D :D
If only there were more MFT Zoom and Focus lenses out there......
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Yes Daniel, that would work, the Micro in a slightly larger from factor, A new small “Macro” Studio Camera that will also need to have the new video processor and resulting color rendering choices that the Broadcast camera has, to match it. This would be grand! :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography