Canon EF Lens with Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

loganp

Canon EF Lens with Pocket Cinema Camera

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:29 am

I am wondering if you will be able to use the Canon EF lens with the new Pocket Cinema Camera. If not will there be adapter for it?

Charles Appleboot

Re: Canon EF Lens with Pocket Cinema Camera

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:43 am

Metabones Speedbooster EF to MFT is coming. Have a little patience.

loganp

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 am

Great, Over all do you think it will be a good camera for shooting weddings, and other events?

Pappagallo

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 4:58 am

Had the opportunity to hold the demo model at NAB. The pocket camera is the little brother of the BMCC 2.5 with 13 stops of dynamic range. It has active MFT which allows the use of a wider range of lenses. It makes an excellent B camera to the BMCC 2.5. The pocket camera shoots professional quality video but looks like a pocket camera and may be perceived as non professional. I have the BMCC 2.5 and preordered the pocket camera as my B camera. I freelance from weddings to reality TV.

Dillan Stockham

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm

loganp wrote:Great, Over all do you think it will be a good camera for shooting weddings, and other events?

If you don't mind some larger file sizes and not be able to really push your ISO is should be fine for weddings. I shoot with 2x 5D3s, 7D and 60D for weddings and love how quick they are to setup, run-n-gun shoot, and the 5D3 especially Killer in low light. I have a pocket camera on pre-order and will see how it does with a couple weddings when it comes in. Seems like it'd be a sweet camera for certain moments of a wedding. We will see!

loganp

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:28 pm

I currently have a 7d and a gopro hero 2. I want a good solid camera. Auto focus will be a big plus. I will be videoing alot of football games where auto focus is a must. Will it have auto focus with canon EF lens.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 pm

loganp wrote:I currently have a 7d and a gopro hero 2. I want a good solid camera. Auto focus will be a big plus. I will be videoing alot of football games where auto focus is a must. Will it have auto focus with canon EF lens.

No, the new BMPCC doesn't support auto focus. It's a "cinema camera", not a consumer/prosumer "video camera" or DSLR.

-

Ryan Jones

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Are you sure Peter? I thought the active mount meant it did?

Not a deal breaker but does affect lens choice.

Sean

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 pm

bigkevracer wrote:Are you sure Peter? I thought the active mount meant it did?

Not a deal breaker but does affect lens choice.

Active lens mount means you can get electronic aperture control and IS.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

NaKiD EyE

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 12:52 am

AF on a cinema camera? ewww lol anyways i can't wait to see this cam in action especially w/ my EF Zeiss glass :mrgreen: The dynamic range alone is worth it to me. I wish canon would focus more on DR than iso and megapixels :|

loganp

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 am

Canon’s new STM (STepper Motor) lenses with the 7d mark II rumors say it is coming in late summer. How will it effect the BMPCC.

Dillan Stockham

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 4:18 pm

loganp wrote:Canon’s new STM (STepper Motor) lenses with the 7d mark II rumors say it is coming in late summer. How will it effect the BMPCC.

It probably won't since the BMPCC doesn't have any autofocus function anyway

CNoir

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:No, the new BMPCC doesn't support auto focus. It's a "cinema camera", not a consumer/prosumer "video camera" or DSLR.
-

Yes it will have autofocus on active mft lenses.

http://www.43rumors.com/blackmagic-pock ... n-percent/

NaKiD EyE wrote:AF on a cinema camera? ewww lol anyways i can't wait to see this cam in action especially w/ my EF Zeiss glass :mrgreen: The dynamic range alone is worth it to me. I wish canon would focus more on DR than iso and megapixels :|

Well if you want a wider dinamic range, nikon have been on the market for many years too...

Yes i know someones have that "EWWW" feel when anyone is speaking about AF in this context, but is just a tool, it doesnt change the main direction of the camera, or it will make it a less professional equipment. There are someones who need a better codec for their workflow, and they need tools like the AF, like me, so that was the step who sent me to buy this one.

Sincerelly i was on the posibility of buying the BMCC but the features like the SSD recorder or the SDi arent for me (yet), and those extra pixels doesnt worth the 1k extra, doesnt mention the touchscreen or the canon mount, just imagine, FT/MFT lens + canon lens + nikon lens = non profitable workflow.

Return to Cinematography