Ursa Mini 4K vs. Micro Cinema (Question)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris_White

Ursa Mini 4K vs. Micro Cinema (Question)

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 9:39 pm

I own both an Ursa Mini 4k and a Micro Cinema. I'd like to know if this is normal with Ursa Mini's or just a problem with my specific camera. My Ursa has a terrible amount of noise/grain.

I compared it against my Micro Cinema (with speedbooster), and obviously the Micro looks miles better. And on top of that my Ursa does not normally look this "good", on top of the noise there's also massive light streaks with brighter lighting (that don't pop up in my Micro) regardless of lens or settings.

I'm sure this has probably popped up a few times somewhere in this forum but i couldn't find a specifically similar situation.

If it's normal among Ursa's then that really blows that a $1k camera can come anywhere near close to a $3k camera. :? And my second question would be, is this issue the same with the Ursa Mini Pro? because i would consider upgrading if i was certain the newer Ursa doesn't share this problem.

Thanks,

Earl R. Thurston

Re: Ursa Mini 4K vs. Micro Cinema (Question)

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:14 pm

The URSA Mini 4K is incredibly light-hungry. Yes, it's normally that noisy, and, yes, FPN streaks are normal too.

For a scene like what you're demonstrating, you need to artificially boost the lighting, expose higher than what you want, and then dial it back down in post to look "underexposed" in order to drop the noise floor.

In other words, you simply cannot shoot a "low light" scene with low light using the UM4K unless you want a lot of artifacts in the shadows.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:24 pm

Also, you are comparing a native ISO 400(Ursa Mini 4K) to a ISO 800 Camera. Changing the ISO to 200 on the Pocket, amounts to overexposing the Camera by 2-stops, which gave the sensor more light than the Ursa Mini was getting. Changing ISO on BM cameras does Not change the sensor sensitivity, nor does is add or reduce analog Gain, as BM cameras do not use Analog Gain.

Yes the Ursa Mini Pro has a more light sensitive sensor, as is also native ISO of 800, and will be more like the Micro Cinema Camera.

I would be interested in seeing this kind of comparison between the Micro Studio 4K and Ursa Mini 4K Camera.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris_White

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Denny Smith wrote:
Yes the Ursa Mini Pro has a more light sensitive sensor, as is also native ISO of 800, and will be more like the Micro Cinema Camera.

I would be interested in seeing this kind of comparison between the Micro Studio 4K and Ursa Mini 4K Camera.
Cheers

Damn, thats a shame the loyalty upgrade doesnt apply to Ursa Mini's. Even in well lit scenarios im still seeing flickering and light streaks(not FPN) in shadows. My Ursa's only use is for slow motion lol. :?

I own the studio 4k as well and that doesnt look as awful either (but obviously doesnt record raw).

David Peterson

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:47 am

It has been a VERY well known issue for *many* years now that the BMPC4K / URSA 4K / URSA Mini 4K (all have the "same" sensor) are very bad in low light (basically you never want to leave ISO 400) and other issues (lower DR, plus FPN etc).

Any one spending money on one today has no excuse not to go into it with their eyes open.

But so long as you're full aware of the issues, and have your expectations thus set appropriately, there is no reasons you can't still make fine imagery with them anyway :-)
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

David Peterson

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:49 am

Chris_White wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:

Cheers

Damn, thats a shame the loyalty upgrade doesnt apply to Ursa Mini's. Even in well lit scenarios im still seeing flickering and light streaks(not FPN) in shadows. My Ursa's only use is for slow motion lol. :?

I own the studio 4k as well and that doesnt look as awful either (but obviously doesnt record raw).

Flickering.... do you have your shutter speed set correctly for where you are?
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Return to Cinematography