A little question about focus button

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

alierainy1230

A little question about focus button

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 2:42 am

I'm embarrassed to say I was in no position to buy my new cinema camera 2.5 ef, in terms of knowing what I'm doing. But I did anyway. I'm a sucker for a price drop, what can I say?

But a button that says 'Focus', I would think, is supposed to change the focus of the lens when the lens's focus setting is set to 'AF' isn't it? I mean, I know I'm a noob and all. But shouldn't a 'focus' button have some effect on focus when pushed?

As it is, the focus button does nothing. Literally. I've tried several different Canon EF lenses.

Am I missing something? Is my product defective? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Denny Smith

Re: A little question about focus button

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 11:20 pm

When you press the Focus button and hold it down, yiu should see a little square on the display, center you subject in this box and the camera should focus on it, but this does not work well in low light or low contrast subjects. Once the subject is in focus, release the button. However, this is Not continuous AF.

Also, is the Camera FW up to date? New FW updates increased EF lens compatibility.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Bell

Re: A little question about focus button

PostTue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm

You should see a white square box on screen. If you don't, it means that the lens is not communicating with the camera, at least with regard to focus. My BMPC4k just did this for the first time after years of use. I switched off, re-seated the lens and powered back up and the white box returned and the focus button became functional. Heart rate returned to normal. Perhaps the contacts are dirty on the camera?

Here is a #1 tip for these cameras (more the 4k actually) -- if it ever refuses to power down and keeps restarting - do check it, as it will get hot in a closed bag - you need to power off and quickly pull out the SSD card before it starts up again. Wait a moment, then put the drive back in. It should then stay powered off. It's not a big deal -- unless you don't know how to make it stop.

Return to Cinematography