A diagram of a 99% lossless workflow.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ron_Mcron

A diagram of a 99% lossless workflow.

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 am

Here's a diagram of a 99% lossless workflow that can be used by Adobe CS6 users.

Toby Angwin

Re: A diagram of a 99% lossless workflow.

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 6:16 am

yep, OR ingest into Resolve, output proxy rushes to cut with in premiere, output an xml or whatever back to resolve, grade the original raw files to dpx or exr or whatever you want. Spit out balanced flat exrs from Resolve to do your vfx with, then comform them back in Resolve.

Then you aren't losing anything before the grade and you don't have to needlessly transcode to ancient DPX.
Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor

http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
@soupkitchen on Twitter
http://vimeo.com/soupkitchen

Ron_Mcron

Re: A diagram of a 99% lossless workflow.

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 9:08 am

soupkitchen wrote:yep, OR ingest into Resolve, output proxy rushes to cut with in premiere, output an xml or whatever back to resolve, grade the original raw files to dpx or exr or whatever you want. Spit out balanced flat exrs from Resolve to do your vfx with, then comform them back in Resolve.

Then you aren't losing anything before the grade and you don't have to needlessly transcode to ancient DPX.

In this workflow the only time you actually need to render is when you get to AME, for your final master. DPX only comes into play if you want to go to and out of speedgrade, that step is completely optional. AE can do a great job coloring by itself, and when your ready to go to Premiere you dont need to render. The proxy files are just so you dont need to render the timeline constantly.

Dont get me wrong, from what I've heard and seen resolve is a great program, Im just not that familiar with it. Plus I find resolves interface disturbing. I used resolve lite and I dont see anyway to export 2.5k master files, and there are no AVI options. Still, from playback to render, resolve is hands down the best at handling Cinema DNG files.

Return to Cinematography