WHERE HAVE THE CHEAP BIG URSA'S GONE?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robert Hart

WHERE HAVE THE CHEAP BIG URSA'S GONE?

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 6:53 pm

Every now and again I take an eBay tour and have recently observed that the used big URSAs are not being surrendered as cheaply as they once were? Maybe there is some love for the big one after all or the vendors are hanging on to new old stock in hope of folk eventually buying at a least loss price.

JasonFinnigan

Re: WHERE HAVE THE CHEAP BIG URSA'S GONE?

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 1:41 am

The supply is becoming more limited and it seems people are willing to pay $2,000 - $3,500 USD for one. Based on sold ones from eBay. Most new vendors like B&H etc no longer have any stock laying around so for the most part eBay and other used marketplaces are the only place to get them.

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 2:46 am

They have gone to new owners each and every one... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Denny Smith wrote:They have gone to new owners each and every one... :roll:
Cheers

When will they ever learn, when will they eveeer...

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 10:20 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

David Peterson

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 am

How low were they going for before?
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

robert Hart

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 5:50 am

I got an URSA 4K PL for US$1,700 which is of course more in AU$. There were a few others which went to market at ballpark prices. On my meagre means that US$1700 was an extravagance but I have not regretted it. I only have my Nikon Lenses from the ancient days of Mini35-400 and AGUS35 groundglass 35mm adaptors.

I built a Nikon F-mount which has the option of direct to camera from the lens or via a 0.7x Metabones Speedbooster Ultra focal reducer optic. One day when the cargo plane comes home and brings a good thing for the people, I will buy some proper cine glass. The 4.6K turret would be nice but in the meantime I am content with what I have.

Out of the camera compared to the BM4.6K sensors, at ISO 400, I think the BM4K image has a nicer aesthetic but that's just me and probably sour grapes that I don't have a 4.6K sensor if the truth be known. What I also like is that the editing computer I built for the SI2K editing in 2014 can cope with the BM4K RAW files in Resolve and the 3.8K ProRes files in Premiere CS6.

Mattias Kristiansson

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 2:51 pm

Where the cheap big URSAs have gone?
Well, one of them is in my basement :-)

Donnell Henry

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 4:22 pm

robert Hart wrote:I got an URSA 4K PL for US$1,700 which is of course more in AU$. There were a few others which went to market at ballpark prices. On my meagre means that US$1700 was an extravagance but I have not regretted it. I only have my Nikon Lenses from the ancient days of Mini35-400 and AGUS35 groundglass 35mm adaptors.

I built a Nikon F-mount which has the option of direct to camera from the lens or via a 0.7x Metabones Speedbooster Ultra focal reducer optic. One day when the cargo plane comes home and brings a good thing for the people, I will buy some proper cine glass. The 4.6K turret would be nice but in the meantime I am content with what I have.

Out of the camera compared to the BM4.6K sensors, at ISO 400, I think the BM4K image has a nicer aesthetic but that's just me and probably sour grapes that I don't have a 4.6K sensor if the truth be known. What I also like is that the editing computer I built for the SI2K editing in 2014 can cope with the BM4K RAW files in Resolve and the 3.8K ProRes files in Premiere CS6.

I have the big Ursa as well as both mini 4.6k and pro version. I can tell you I still like the look (color science)of the ursa 4K over the 4.6k. The only thing is, as you probably already know, the image of the 4k ursa falls apart way faster than the 4.6k when grading. I pretty much keep the grading lite on the 4K footage, but go all out on the 4.6k footage.
GODS CREATE

Donnell Henry

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Mattias Kristiansson wrote:Where the cheap big URSAs have gone?

The other is in my camera bag waiting for the turret upgrade!
GODS CREATE

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 4:33 pm

We got one, the others have,
“Gone to good homes each and every one...” :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 5:25 am

Donnell Henry wrote:

And another is being used by us right now shooting 2 shorts and starting a indie feature next month. It's a workhorse and the form factor is ideal. Love that 10" display. Mostly used on sticks. We have a BMPC for shoulder or steady cam. Does all of what we needed. We might add a UM4K for a third cam but so far have no justification to do so other than its got the updated firmware.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Donnell Henry

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Donnell Henry wrote:

And another is being used by us right now shooting 2 shorts and starting a indie feature next month. It's a workhorse and the form factor is ideal. Love that 10" display. Mostly used on sticks. We have a BMPC for shoulder or steady cam. Does all of what we needed. We might add a UM4K for a third cam but so far have no justification to do so other than its got the updated firmware.

That’s right Ellory!
GODS CREATE

Iain Philpott

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Donnell Henry wrote:
robert Hart wrote:I got an URSA 4K PL for US$1,700 which is of course more in AU$. There were a few others which went to market at ballpark prices. On my meagre means that US$1700 was an extravagance but I have not regretted it. I only have my Nikon Lenses from the ancient days of Mini35-400 and AGUS35 groundglass 35mm adaptors.

I have the big Ursa as well as both mini 4.6k and pro version. I can tell you I still like the look (color science)of the ursa 4K over the 4.6k. The only thing is, as you probably already know, the image of the 4k ursa falls apart way faster than the 4.6k when grading. I pretty much keep the grading lite on the 4K footage, but go all out on the 4.6k footage.

I have both as well and I would agree. I shoot a lot of beauty and most of that I shoot on the URSA v2 - along with such a gorgeous skintone, add in 120fps which the mini pro can't get near, global shutter, 10" screen and I will not be selling mine anytime soon. My greatest fear is if something goes wrong with it and BM say it can no longer be repaired but hopefully BM will have spares for some considerable time yet!

Mattias Kristiansson

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 pm

I have the URSA V1, I know the V2 has higher fps but is there any noticable difference in colors?

Return to Cinematography