Urs Mini Pro vs Ursa Mini Broadcast for Live Video

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

Urs Mini Pro vs Ursa Mini Broadcast for Live Video

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:53 pm

My boss at work is asking about the Ursa Mini Pro, since i just bought one personally, and if it's possible to try it in a live situation with our ATEM switchers. We pretty much have EVERYTHING Blackmagic design for our live video mixing and capture, but our cameras are JVC GY-HM850s.

I know it makes sense for us to use the Broadcast version of the Ursa, but it's the Image quality of the UMP that's intriguing.

anyone have any input on using both or just the Broadcast Live-to-capture?
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Denny Smith

Re: Urs Mini Pro vs Ursa Mini Broadcast for Live Video

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 pm

The Ursa Mini Pro is a camera designed for post production processing of its image to add the amount of color saturation desired for a given scene. The Broadcast csmera lroduces two levels of color saturation image signals, designed for live switched productions in multi-camera situations, to allow matching of the various cameras. That said, a Ursa Mini Pro should be able to match its Rec709 signal if using the ATEM’s CCU shading controls, but the UM Pro is going to look less saturated in its color image quality.

Take you camera to work, and try it out, see how it mixes in.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Howard Roll

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Lensing is the biggest problem when trying to migrate from 2/3” or even 1/3” to S35. We were, and still are, looking at replacing our broadcast chains with Alexa’s but the lensing is the biggest hurdle. If you’re in a small studio environment s35 will probably be achievable. When the talent is between 20 and 40 meters away however, even a 75-400mm isn’t enough.

James Parker

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:My boss at work is asking about the Ursa Mini Pro, since i just bought one personally, and if it's possible to try it in a live situation with our ATEM switchers. We pretty much have EVERYTHING Blackmagic design for our live video mixing and capture, but our cameras are JVC GY-HM850s.

I know it makes sense for us to use the Broadcast version of the Ursa, but it's the Image quality of the UMP that's intriguing.

anyone have any input on using both or just the Broadcast Live-to-capture?

We go Ursa Mini Pro because I like the look of the larger sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.Parker

Return to Cinematography