URSA Mini 4K Update for Fixed bug where Gain level is offset

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Blake Law

URSA Mini 4K Update for Fixed bug where Gain level is offset

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Is there going to be an update for the URSA Mini 4K PL to the fix bug where Gain level is offset by -6dB with ATEM? The last software update that I see is 4.9 and both 5.0 and 5.0.1 don't apply to the URSA Mini 4k or at least on my end say that the camera is up to date when checking for update.

Denny Smith

Re: URSA Mini 4K Update for Fixed bug where Gain level is of

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 pm

The Urs Mini 4K PL does not use gain control perse, but roster ISO settings. How this translates with the ATEM, I do not know. But the Ursa. I I 4K is more of a stand alone Production Camera, not designed to be primarily used with the ATEM, but however it can be used and setup. The Broadcast/Studio 4K c areas were designed for Broadcast work with the ATEM p, and under old firmware, Gain was labeled incamera, did not match how it was labeled on the ATEM CCU. The update just adjusted the camera menus to give -12 to +12 Gain settings. It did not really add any Gain/ISO capability,other than clean up the noise at what was +6, now the base 0 setting on the Micro Studio (which is now ISO 400 equivalent, previously 0 was ISO 200 equiv.).

I would not expect BM to change this on the Ursa Mini 4K, as it is not a Studio/Broadcast Camera as such.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Blake Law

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 9:19 pm

The native ISO for these Cameras is 400 which should be O db on the Switcher but instead 200 ISO is currently set to 0db. I think to be correct (200 = -6) (400 = 0) (800 = +6) but I could be wrong. Not a huge deal as I just run the cameras at +6db = 400ISO. These cameras work great as Broadcast cameras but obviously if I had the option I would trade them in for URSA Broadcast Cameras at this point.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 11:15 pm

I think this would depend on how and where you want tp use the camera. In a Studio, the larger 4K sensor on the UM has its advantages, you can get great fields of view with longer focal length lenses for a more natural look, especially in chroma key work. But for field shooting, where longer focal length lenses are needed, than the Ursa Broadcast has the bug advantagebwith the long throw of V4 ENG zooms and the smaller sensor. You might consider using both, each for its individual strengths.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Thorborg

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 am

There is still a 'video gain issue'. left with the ATEM control software in combination with the Micro Studio 4K Camera series.
Now this camera suffers from a 6dB gain offset in the controls.
So 0dB within the ATEM controls ends up in a -6dB on a Micro Studio Camera.
It looks like maybe the problem was corrected on the wrong end, on the URSA camera instead of the ATEM or visa versa.... :cry:
Cheers,
John

Denny Smith

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 pm

That is because, -6dB is zero gain on the Micro Studio Camera, which is a base ISO 200 Camera, while the Ursa Broadcast sensor was pushed to a base ISO 400, which is 0 dB on the ATEM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Thorborg

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 10:31 pm

Hmmm, so if somebody uses this BMMSC 4K without a ATEM unit, one is constantly under exposing the sensor because 0dB is in reality +6dB, really, sounds strange to me and awful for S/N ratio.

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 1:25 am

Well, not really, +6bB is ISO 400, and the Micro Studio under good lighting, is a very useable setting, without overly noticeable noise. Dialing it down to -6dB gives you back the native ISO of 200. The difference is more to do with the video processor than the sensor, which is pushed to a base ISO of 400 on the Ursa Broadcast, getting a nice useable image.

But yes, this could get confusing, and is why I use a Waveform Monitor Sean setting exposure between the two cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography