Difference for time in timestamp vs filename

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mike Flynn

Difference for time in timestamp vs filename

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 10:07 pm

When I examine a clip, I see that the filename of a clip (any type - does not matter, raw, prores...) has the correct time as part of the filename. The timestamp for the file(s) is 1 hour later. This is true for our UMP, BMPC and BMPCC.

Any ideas how to fix the timestamp to match?

Thanks!

Pete Delahunty

Re: Difference for time in timestamp vs filename

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 2:00 am

One possible reason for this is that the file creation timestamp displayed on a mac shows the UTC time it was created, but adjusts it to the time zone your system clock is currently set for. So if the file was created in a different time zone or daylight savings time for example, the timestamp metadata would be correct but *display* differently to the date burned into the filename.

Last week I did some shooting in a different state that was one hour behind where I live, and the time-of-day timecode on my audio files differs by one hour compared to the displayed timestamp on my mac now that I'm home in my local time zone. EG Timecode reads 09:11:00 (correct local time where it was shot), timestamp in the Finder shows 10:11 now that I'm home. Change your timezone and the Finder timestamp will compensate relative to UTC.
Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K | Pocket 4K | ATEM Mini Extreme ISO | and more gear than fits in my house

Mike Flynn

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks, Pete. That makes total sense since it started after I set the cameras for daylight losing...errr saving time :)

Cesar Gamino

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:40 pm

I can confirm that. I had my Ursa Mini Pro 4k set correctly in Los Angeles on June 1 with UTC/GMT -8 hours and it changed it an hour when I dumped the footage. Go to google and you'll find this:
Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 1.32.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 1.32.38 PM.png (139.58 KiB) Viewed 994 times

So before you shoot, choose the "current time zone offset" UTC/GMT -7 hours

Now if only I can figure out why on the BM Pocket Cinema camera I need to ADD 7 hours? :?:

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 4:39 pm

It’s due to Daylight Savings Time in most of Canada and the US. The BMD operating system doesn’t accommodate the change. Yes, it seems you have to change the time yourself if DST applies in your locale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography