BM Studio Camera 4k or BMMSC 4k, lanc, and olympus pro zooms

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

stream.vegas

BM Studio Camera 4k or BMMSC 4k, lanc, and olympus pro zooms

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:42 am

Before I give up on BM Studio cams, I want to find out if anyone is using a BM Studio camera with Olympus pro lenses and lanc, that can get focus and zoom (I'll control iris/painting with fiber connections and ATEM software). In my world, this is a pretty simple task, since we use B4 lenses with HXC-100s or similar broadcast cameras. I saw one solution using Arduino, which is not an option. I'm hoping to use the Varizoom lanc controller. thx for your answers.

Fornez

Re: BM Studio Camera 4k or BMMSC 4k, lanc, and olympus pro z

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:13 pm

I totally feel your pain lol

here is a video talking about exactly what you are looking for. It does work 6:06

I was trying so hard to find a working solution for complex camera movements on the regular studio camera and gave up. But I've decided since then to change my approach and plan for two clunky lensed, manned cameras, and 2-3 micro studio cameras on stage to cover the creative artistic shots i want. I'm currently looking into a ptz solution for the micro studio camera to add even more to the setup.

Here's an amazon wishlist with the best setups I could put together so far.I have two options for talkback but i'll go with one http://a.co/75GSjhL

The limitations on the regular studio cam for me are that I won't quite get the zoom range that I want for being 40-50ft away and that I might have to rely on autofocus for the cameras. The lens is not parfocal (barely any truly are) but it depends on "How" not parfocal it is. The slow zoom is not a problem in the slightest and might actually help some novice operators.

stream.vegas

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 pm

thanks for that.

I am looking at a JVC option, since you can control cameras through ethernet (as opposed to separate BNC). I really wanted the BMS cams to work, but having a camcorder with a 12x or 24x lens makes it a workhorse camera for my needs, especially sports.

I'd invite BM reps to chime in. This is a real problem in my world, having lenses that are parfocal and have a wide zoom range, and can be controlled by hand controls with LANC. Thanks for your consideration. I will be purchasing withing 3 months, so you still have a chance.

zonuna

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi Fornez, I just read your previous post about BMSC viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71471&p=398761&hilit=lanc#p398761

I am about to buy 3nos Studio camera 4k and 1no micro studio cam 4k, but seeing your post and own research I know that I am going to face the same problem on Zoom and focus, I am novice to BM product, and really need help, My supplier suggest me an Olympus M.Zuiko digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6EZ but the zoom range seems short like 3x.

Now I am confuse, should i go on with studio camera 4k or not, I am currently using an Old Tricaster studio (Still broadcast by cable tv) with Canon, panasonic camcorders and never had a problem with lens, zoom, focus.

I like to use BM ATEM Television studio 4k switcher, I wonder if there are any camcorder that is compatible with BM switcher for Tally and talkback (SDI IN i guss) Please share your experiences

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 8:40 pm

If yiu can afford the money, you should look at the new BM Urs Broadcast Camera, which can use B4 parfocal, Servo Zoom lenses. You can get away with high end SD B4 zooms which can be had for under $500 each. Use the Micro Studio cams for your locked down fixed shots with MFT lenses like the Panny Zeiss 15mm or 25mm lenses. These will remote focus from the ATEM, SBus or Lanc control.

You should also move this post to Live Production for more responses from the TV Production shooters. This form is more Cine,a camera oriented.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production