Pocket Cinema Camera 4K viewfinder

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

dacloo

Pocket Cinema Camera 4K viewfinder

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 1:52 am

Hey,

Super excited about the new pocket cinema cam. I had the 1st one and shooting with it was a blast.
Is it possible to connect a digital viewfinder (not the magnifying glass style) to this camera?
And if so, what connection is used?

Cheers
Jeroen

Steve Golding

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera 4K viewfinder

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:52 am

The answer is that Blackmagic should have equiped it with one, they were asked enough time on these forums!

I use glasses for reading and I do not want to have them on whilst using this camera. A Loupe just about got around the problem on the original Pocket, but not this monster! There is a market for a small EVF or the possible use of an existing one modified for the new cam. Someone must have some ideas?

Steve

Jim Giberti

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 am

Steve Golding wrote: A Loupe just about got around the problem on the original Pocket, but not this monster!

Au contraire - https://www.gridaccessories.com/product ... iewfinder/

Great loupe that will easily allow you to use the touch screen as well.

Steve Golding

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 am

That is a Giant Loupe!

Interesting, but in no way could it be described as discrete.

Steve

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:26 am

I suppose you could use the HDMI out to feed an add-on EVF. BMD hasn’t included a built-in EVF in any BMD Camera. The visually excellent BMVF fir the URSA Mini chassis is an add-on at $1,495 which is more than the cost of the BMPCC4K and it requires the YRSA Mini Handle too. Maybe Wooden Camera will come up with something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Steve Golding

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 am

There are a few small ones around that would do the job Rick, it just needs someone to produce an adapter and mount. Maybe BM might even come to the party, but I doubt it.

Steve

dacloo

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks guys. Let’s hope someone will make a digital viewfinder through HDMI that can be screwed on top of the camera. Not elegant but if it works, it works.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm

You can mount a Cineroid EVF, fairly compact, and can be powered several ways. Perhaps Zacuto will come up with a scaled down HDMI version of the Gratical Eye.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Steve Golding wrote:That is a Giant Loupe!
Interesting, but in no way could it be described as discrete.
Steve

Well it wouldn't be very good if it were smaller than the screen now would it.

Jim Giberti

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:33 pm

dacloo wrote:Thanks guys. Let’s hope someone will make a digital viewfinder through HDMI that can be screwed on top of the camera. Not elegant but if it works, it works.

There are so many options for this.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Maybe BM will come out with a future version of its viewfinder with the flexibility to be used with the PCC4K? It's kinda a no brainer, people who buy BM accessories for the PCC4K that also work with the bigger BM cameras, have less of a hurdle to overcome to buying a bigger BM camera when the time comes to get a bigger camera.

Jim Giberti

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Maybe BM will come out with a future version of its viewfinder with the flexibility to be used with the PCC4K? It's kinda a no brainer, people who buy BM accessories for the PCC4K that also work with the bigger BM cameras, have less of a hurdle to overcome to buying a bigger BM camera when the time comes to get a bigger camera.

When you consider that the Pocket2 has everything you want for exposure control - especially false color and LUTs, a simple magnetic loupe would save a lot of money, it would also be a world class VF and a lot less cumbersome than a cage, arm and EVF.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:When you consider that the Pocket2 has everything you want for exposure control - especially false color and LUTs, a simple magnetic loupe would save a lot of money, it would also be a world class VF and a lot less cumbersome than a cage, arm and EVF.

That configuration doesn't work for me in a shoulder mount. I like to balance the camera which means the screen, even with a loop will be inaccessible. Whereas a separate EVF can be positioned in a comfortable place while the camera is still balanced. Even though it may be bulkier, I have no interest in schlepping around an unbalanced camera for ten hours nor do I want to consider doubling the weight of the rig so I can balanced a camera forward rig.

Jim Giberti

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:I have no interest in schlepping around an unbalanced camera for ten hours

I would never want you to do that either.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:08 am

Also, looking at a 5-inch screen through a loupe is ver trying, the Small HD 501/502 shrink the creek imagevwhrn using the sidefindr so yiu can comfortably view the image.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:37 am

The one thing I didn't see was a lanc input. That may make it difficult to use this camera as a shoulder mount.

BM, this camera needs a lanc or sbus connector for grip controls for the camera.

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 2:57 am

Yes, I also noticed the lack of a Lanc port. Would be nice to use the BM Mini handle. But Grant did say some csmera controls would be available on the USB-C connector.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:05 am

I would hate to tie up the usb connector to control the camera. It reduces the flexibility.

dacloo

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 pm

A loupe is nice but since this camera doesn’t have a swivel screen like the GH5 has, I think both the need for an external monitor that does tilt as well as a viewfinder is still there.

Return to Cinematography