New User

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
MrAdamJay

New User

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi ,

I am a professional photographer and want to look into doing some independent film making as well. I have been reading up on the BlackMagic cameras and really like the sound of them. Would people suggest that they are a good camera to start on ? Obviously I know I need to learn a lot about the process of it but we all have to start somewhere.

Would love to hear your feedback

Adam

Liam Kennedy

Re: New User

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Recommend you post in the "Cinematography" section of the forum (although "Getting Started" sounds about right... I think you'll find more eyes on your question over there).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Christine Peterson

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Moved to Cinematography...
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 10:08 pm

For $1000 bucks it's hard to go wrong with the pocket camera. It's also an MFT mount so you can adapt it for almost any lens. It's S16mm sized sensor will help you without getting too shallow of a DoF-- so you can pull focus on your own-- and open up the options of the myriad of cinema lenses out there in various mounts via adapters.
Wish there was such a capable camera when i was first tooling 'round for such a low price.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Theodore Prentice

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Do any of the cameras you use to shoot professional photos shoot video?
If so, Id start there, learn the basics, then move up.

The workflow of the currently available Cinema Camera can be daunting to even a seasoned professional.

I seriously would NOT recommend getting started on a "yet to be released" product. History has shown that there can and usually will be quirks with the beta version of products.

Theodore Prentice

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Just though Id add, I own and shoot with the Cinema Camera, daily. This might be of importance to you, as alot of the conjecture, talk and wild speculation on this forum comes from non owning, non using, "web cinematographers" with high post counts, but very low, or zero shooting counts :lol:

I like my info 1st hand, not from dittohead, cut and paste types.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:Just though Id add, I own and shoot with the Cinema Camera, daily. This might be of importance to you, as alot of the conjecture, talk and wild speculation on this forum comes from non owning, non using, "web cinematographers" with high post counts, but very low, or zero shooting counts :lol:

I like my info 1st hand, not from dittohead, cut and paste types.

Don't be bashful, Theodore. Please name names! ;)

-

ChrisBarcellos

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 pm

If you are used to grading your own still photography, you may have a leg up on many videographers who are moving into the Cinema camera level. Grading footage from these cameras is much more oriented to the work flow you may be familiar with.

I have the EF Cinema camera, and if you are loaded with Canon lenses, you will find the EF version will work fine for your needs. You may need to supplement the wider angle end a bit, but generally you will do just fine with the Canon lenses. I personally am using mostly the older Nikon glass I have used for my amateur film making adventures, and don't usually use the electronic connection of the camera to the lenses. It works just fine that way.

I too believe regular users are you best source of information about these cameras, but sometimes those regular users take the form of amateurs who actually are out there doing more adventurous things than pro's who have to produce in a more conservative approach in order to assure a future in the business.

Theodore Prentice

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Don't be bashful, Theodore. Please name names! ;)
-

Peter, you know Im rather shy :mrgreen:

Return to Cinematography