Bmpcc 4K and Ronin M

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

eliakin1986evp

Bmpcc 4K and Ronin M

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Hey, I'm really excited about the new pocket camera, but I was thinking this morning, with it being 7" wide, will it not fit on the Ronin M? I've been using my Ronin M for a long time and hoping there might be a work around. The Ronin is only 6.3" from rail to rail. Any thoughts? Thx!

Timothy Cook

Re: Bmpcc 4K and Ronin M

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Hello Eliakin,
I've done the measurements and you're right, it will not fit IF the camera is positioned right where the two pivots are but when I use my Micro with the Sigma 18-35 it sits well behind the most narrow portion of the gimbal, and into the open area behind the pivots.

I'm not sure yet, but hopefully this will be the same situation with the P4K. I'm assuming so, since it's not as heavy as my caged Micro setup. The P4K is also thinner so it should have plenty of room to clear the back supports.
If I need to, I can always add a small weight to the lens to accommodate the need to have the camera sitting behind the pivot points.

I'll give a yes or no once I get the camera, which may be a while because I'm holding off on Pre-Ordering it.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

eliakin1986evp

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Thank you, that helps! I'm really hoping that I can get it to work. Can't wait to try it!

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 11:36 am

Still room to connect hdmi and power to the side?? :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MikeMeagher

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 pm

In my fantasy dream world..the new BM4K pocket camera will fit on the new Ronin S. Oh how do I dream of that combination!
Who knows a product engineer at DJI we can lobby to look into this? DJI is tweaking the Ronin S design. So now is a good time for them to make this combo work.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

John Paines

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:22 pm

MikeMeagher wrote:In my fantasy dream world..the new BM4K pocket camera will fit on the new Ronin S.

Assuming it's within the weight requirements of the Ronin S, there's no reason it shouldn't "fit". Unlike the M, there are no obstructions. Hand-held gimbals like the S are frequently used with the camera's articulated screen protruding far beyond the body of the gimbal. It shouldn't matter if the camera body extends beyond the base. And there are many other gimbals in this class to chose from.

The real question is how well it balances, but that varies from camera to camera anyway. You can have more trouble with a small light camera than a bigger and heavier one.

Que Thompson

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 pm

I'm interested to see if this thing will run on the Ronin S. I have a Letus Helix Jr, but I'm interested in getting even more flexibility.

Akpe Ododoru

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 pm

I just mesured the size and its the exact same size as my MoviM5 cage but it MIGHT need a little bit of forcing in due to the Movi adjustment clamps on each sides. But i have a feeling (just like my 5d3) the body of the camera might be slightly behind the cage (and not in the middle) due to lense weight. So am kind of happy right now
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

arbelbit

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 5:52 pm

I was planning on getting the Ronin M but i'm kinda bummed about this issue. guess ill have to wait till it comes out and people try out different combinations.

info@mwsmith.co.uk

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 am

It will work on the Ronin-S with the included extra plate:

type "Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k Ronin S balance" in youtube.

Hope this helps.

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 5:14 pm

After a lot of trial and error and using pretty much every base plate and rod system I have at my disposal I have managed to balance my pocket 4k on my ronin m using just a small rig base plate.

It’s balanced with a 16mm f2.2 samyang, which is not the heaviest, but it does work with the full range of motion on pan tilt and roll. Which is fortunate because it was the sole reason I got the camera!

Now after 10 days of having the thing I can finally have a play with it!
Attachments
44CC015F-A0A8-4230-B740-C0DE626D5D03.jpeg
44CC015F-A0A8-4230-B740-C0DE626D5D03.jpeg (109.32 KiB) Viewed 7771 times

arunappuus

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 4:48 am

Gavin_c_clark wrote:After a lot of trial and error and using pretty much every base plate and rod system I have at my disposal I have managed to balance my pocket 4k on my ronin m using just a small rig base plate.

It’s balanced with a 16mm f2.2 samyang, which is not the heaviest, but it does work with the full range of motion on pan tilt and roll. Which is fortunate because it was the sole reason I got the camera!

Now after 10 days of having the thing I can finally have a play with it!

Hi Gavin, Could you please let me know which SmallRig base plate is that.

Cheers

rick.lang

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Good job. Looking forward to your findings after you’ve played with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

orlando62788

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Does anyone know what kind of base plate is compatible to balance P4K on Ronin M or if the regular base plate that comes with the Ronin M works with it ?

DavidNStiles

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 1:52 am

I dont normally post because I'm not great at articulating this stuff but no one seems to have a ronin MX anymore. I figured I would post here seeing how the M and MX are so similar.

I got my pocket 4K a couple days ago and decided to try it on my MX. Long story short I was able to balance the pocket 4K with a rokinon 20mm EF Mount (with adaptor) and two tilta necleus m motors. I used the ronin MX tilt arm extenders, a small rig camera baseplate with two 7” rods an additional 15mm rod railblock a 1.5” rod and a lens support. I’m not gonna lie I cursed a few times with this and am thinking of selling the MX cuz sweet Jesus rigging this is a pain. First you have to mount the baseplate backwards and insert the camera from behind (with the cage tilted up). Picture is below. Happy to answer questions.
Attachments
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg (919.78 KiB) Viewed 7078 times

Ricardo Mendes

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 11:01 pm

DavidNStiles wrote:I dont normally post because I'm not great at articulating this stuff but no one seems to have a ronin MX anymore. I figured I would post here seeing how the M and MX are so similar.

I got my pocket 4K a couple days ago and decided to try it on my MX. Long story short I was able to balance the pocket 4K with a rokinon 20mm EF Mount (with adaptor) and two tilta necleus m motors. I used the ronin MX tilt arm extenders, a small rig camera baseplate with two 7” rods an additional 15mm rod railblock a 1.5” rod and a lens support. I’m not gonna lie I cursed a few times with this and am thinking of selling the MX cuz sweet Jesus rigging this is a pain. First you have to mount the baseplate backwards and insert the camera from behind (with the cage tilted up). Picture is below. Happy to answer questions.

Hey David! Can you please explain how you managed to have the Nucleus-m working with the aperture on those EF lenses? Is it attached to the aperture ring of the adapter? Which adapter is it?

I'm askim because I want to buy the Pocket 6K, but since there is no option to have manual aperture to run on the ronin, probably I would need to go with the 4k and make the same workaround. Knowing how you did it will be a good help. Thanks

DavidNStiles

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Ricardo,

The lens is a 20mm Rokinon Cine DS. It's a fully manual lens and the motor is connected to the iris gear. If you have a photo lens with electronic iris there are a couple of apps that let you control iris through the bluetooth. It works with MFT lenses on the 4k. I don't have an electronic EF adaptor to test it but I don't see why it wouldn't work if the camera can control iris. Get a vehicle mount for your phone and mount it on the ronin. Then you can have all your controls right there.

Ricardo Mendes

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 4:11 pm

DavidNStiles wrote:Ricardo,

The lens is a 20mm Rokinon Cine DS. It's a fully manual lens and the motor is connected to the iris gear. If you have a photo lens with electronic iris there are a couple of apps that let you control iris through the bluetooth. It works with MFT lenses on the 4k. I don't have an electronic EF adaptor to test it but I don't see why it wouldn't work if the camera can control iris. Get a vehicle mount for your phone and mount it on the ronin. Then you can have all your controls right there.

Thanks for the reply David,

Ok, so are you saying that with the Rokinon DS20M-C lens (which are EF Mount) I'll be able to have the 3 motors for aperture/focus/zoom of the nucleus working on the Pocket 6K? Those lens still have the aperture ring even on the EF sensor of the BMPCC6?

The app workaround seems workable, but having a phone will be another equipment on the rig and I want to keep everything as clean as possible without too much things with controls on the ronin.

Bebst Regards

DavidNStiles

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 4:26 pm

I was able to mount TWO motors. One for Focus and the other for Iris. If you look at the photos you will see they are mounted in a very specific way. It was a royal pain to balance but yes it works.

Ricardo Mendes

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 5:40 pm

DavidNStiles wrote:I was able to mount TWO motors. One for Focus and the other for Iris. If you look at the photos you will see they are mounted in a very specific way. It was a royal pain to balance but yes it works.

I'll probably go only with the two motors as well, until there's no other solution. Thanks for the information David

Patrick Merz

PostFri May 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi All

I manged that very easy, after thinking for some hours. I just fixed the rod support directly on the ground plate, used the half cage from Tilta and two Nucleus Nano for Zoom and Focus and also as contra wight.

Lens is a Tamron 11- 16mm

That is a very smooth solution and also the balancing works very easy.

IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1104.jpg (795.01 KiB) Viewed 3659 times

Greetings from Hamburg

Patrick

Return to Cinematography