Bmpcc 4K and Ronin M

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

eliakin1986evp

Bmpcc 4K and Ronin M

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Hey, I'm really excited about the new pocket camera, but I was thinking this morning, with it being 7" wide, will it not fit on the Ronin M? I've been using my Ronin M for a long time and hoping there might be a work around. The Ronin is only 6.3" from rail to rail. Any thoughts? Thx!

Timothy Cook

Re: Bmpcc 4K and Ronin M

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Hello Eliakin,
I've done the measurements and you're right, it will not fit IF the camera is positioned right where the two pivots are but when I use my Micro with the Sigma 18-35 it sits well behind the most narrow portion of the gimbal, and into the open area behind the pivots.

I'm not sure yet, but hopefully this will be the same situation with the P4K. I'm assuming so, since it's not as heavy as my caged Micro setup. The P4K is also thinner so it should have plenty of room to clear the back supports.
If I need to, I can always add a small weight to the lens to accommodate the need to have the camera sitting behind the pivot points.

I'll give a yes or no once I get the camera, which may be a while because I'm holding off on Pre-Ordering it.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

eliakin1986evp

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Thank you, that helps! I'm really hoping that I can get it to work. Can't wait to try it!

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 11:36 am

Still room to connect hdmi and power to the side?? :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV, ATEM TVS HD, 1M/E 4K, 2M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio Mini, SONY FS7 4K, Ursa Broadcast 4K

MikeMeagher

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 pm

In my fantasy dream world..the new BM4K pocket camera will fit on the new Ronin S. Oh how do I dream of that combination!
Who knows a product engineer at DJI we can lobby to look into this? DJI is tweaking the Ronin S design. So now is a good time for them to make this combo work.
Mike Meagher Underwater Cinematographer
www.youtube.com/WolfeelDiver
Win 10 64 pro I 7 6 core X99 board 64 GB ram
M.2 app drive. 2x SSDs in Raid 0 for cache.
3x spinning HHDs raid 0 for source files.
Dual 2x EVGA1080 ti video cards
Resolve 14.3 studio

John Paines

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:22 pm

MikeMeagher wrote:In my fantasy dream world..the new BM4K pocket camera will fit on the new Ronin S.

Assuming it's within the weight requirements of the Ronin S, there's no reason it shouldn't "fit". Unlike the M, there are no obstructions. Hand-held gimbals like the S are frequently used with the camera's articulated screen protruding far beyond the body of the gimbal. It shouldn't matter if the camera body extends beyond the base. And there are many other gimbals in this class to chose from.

The real question is how well it balances, but that varies from camera to camera anyway. You can have more trouble with a small light camera than a bigger and heavier one.

Que Thompson

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 pm

I'm interested to see if this thing will run on the Ronin S. I have a Letus Helix Jr, but I'm interested in getting even more flexibility.

Akpe Ododoru

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 pm

I just mesured the size and its the exact same size as my MoviM5 cage but it MIGHT need a little bit of forcing in due to the Movi adjustment clamps on each sides. But i have a feeling (just like my 5d3) the body of the camera might be slightly behind the cage (and not in the middle) due to lense weight. So am kind of happy right now

Return to Cinematography