Watch out! Powerbase 70 Battery Pack

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brad Ballew

Watch out! Powerbase 70 Battery Pack

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 5:11 am

I like this battery but if you have it keep an eye on the this screw on the bottom of the V plate. (see picture) This screw shifted and was protruding ever so slightly but it was enough to keep the plate from getting fully locked in. I didn't notice that the tab wasn't going all the way up and I frequently disconnect and reconnect when I am doing real run and gun shooting. I like to keep my camera hanging around my neck and my battery attached to my monopod until I need to shoot.

Which by the way the monopod I got is great for run and gun shooting. It has a fluid connection at the bottom and a nice head: http://www.adorama.com/BG561BHDV.html?g ... 7AodIXEARg

Works fantastic!

Anyways, my camera fell off my monopod this last weekend and I managed to catch it in the air by the lens. Yeah.. not cool. I figured out what it was and after getting the culprit screwed back in everything worked as it should.

Something to keep in mind for those who own this battery.
Attachments
Plate.jpg
Plate.jpg (161.66 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

Trevor Zuck

Re: Watch out! Powerbase 70 Battery Pack

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 4:58 pm

it helps if that pin goes in the locating pin hole on the camera
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Brad Ballew

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:42 pm

TZuck wrote:it helps if that pin goes in the locating pin hole on the camera

I know that. :)

I am not sure if the BMCC has such a hole.. I don't have it with me right now so I can verify that. I know my other camcorder does.

The issue was that it became unscrewed just a little bit making it protrude just slightly from the bottom of the plate. It wasn't even that much. However, it was enough to cause my camera from completely locking in. The battery has a tab the moves up after the plate is slid in and although this tab slid up.. it didn't slide up all the way since the screw was protruding on the bottom of the plate. When your out running and gunning it's easy not to notice if the tab doesn't go all the way up which is a problem because it means your camera is not locked in.

That is what happened and my camera almost took a 6 foot nose dive. I managed to grab it in the air but it did freak me out. Just wanted to put this post out there so people are mindful that this can happen so that they know to pay attention to it.
Brad Ballew

Trevor Zuck

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Brad Ballew wrote:

I am not sure if the BMCC has such a hole.. I don't have it with me right now so I can verify that. I know my other camcorder does.

The issue was that it became unscrewed just a little bit making it protrude just slightly from the bottom of the plate. It wasn't even that much. However, it was enough to cause my camera from completely locking in. The battery has a tab the moves up after the plate is slid in and although this tab slid up.. it didn't slide up all the way since the screw was protruding on the bottom of the plate. When your out running and gunning it's easy not to notice if the tab doesn't go all the way up which is a problem because it means your camera is not locked in.

That is what happened and my camera almost took a 6 foot nose dive. I managed to grab it in the air but it did freak me out. Just wanted to put this post out there so people are mindful that this can happen so that they know to pay attention to it.

It has such a hole. I also have the power base. it just would make the power base not feel like a battery grip. but if its in the locator pin hole, that gets rid of the issue you had
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Brad Ballew

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 8:39 pm

TZuck wrote:
Brad Ballew wrote:

It has such a hole. I also have the power base. it just would make the power base not feel like a battery grip. but if its in the locator pin hole, that gets rid of the issue you had

Right on. I'll check it out... Thanks
Brad Ballew

Return to Cinematography