"It's got four microphones."

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jim Simon

"It's got four microphones."

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Where? And why? No one talking about the Pocket 4K ever says.

James Westlake

Re: "It's got four microphones."

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 pm

My guess is that two might be used to subtract the sound of the internal fan from the other two, perhaps? Because otherwise I don't see a lot of point in four mics being used to capture 2 channel stereo audio, unless I'm missing something?

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 pm

James Westlake wrote:unless I'm missing something?

I think we all are. BMD never say anything beyond "It has four."

Chris Chiasson

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 1:36 am

I think Grant really wants to make a camera that records usable audio internally, and kill the requirement for an external mic. I applaud him for it, but I doubt it’s possible, unless you go the “mic on the handle” route doc cameras used. As is, the mics are in the position where hands focusing the camera is gonna be recorded,with fingers taping the mic when operating handheld. I only see these being usable for recording stereo audio for exterior landscapes, or establishing wide angles.

Jeremy Dallek

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 am

I think the noise reduction theory sounds logical. The question I have is how many of the 5 audio sources in the camera (Internal Mic L, R, 3.5mm L, R, Mini xlr) can be recorded simultaneously? Only 2? I remember seeing a video where it looked like only 2 assignable audio record inputs, but it would be really nice to have all of them available.

Steve Golding

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 am

I'm fairly sure that two are used in some form of 'Noise Canceling' system to remove the fan or other internal noise.

Steve

Return to Cinematography