XLR-to-1/4" adaptor needed for BMCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sgierth

XLR-to-1/4" adaptor needed for BMCC?

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am

Since the audio inputs of BMCC are balanced 1/4" (but unfortunately not XLR), is it a good idea to use XLR 3-pin cables and use XLR-male to 1/4" male adaptors?

Thanks in advance!

Jason Greene

Re: XLR-to-1/4" adaptor needed for BMCC?

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 11:22 am

Yes. For a mic that does not require phantom power, but has XLR connections, this is what I have a use. It is not just a good idea, it is a necessity!

For a mic needing phantom power, you must find a way of inserting that phantom power. I use an external pre-amp that has phantom power and connect its line out to the BMCC 1/4" inputs.

sgierth

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks Jason! Good you mentioned the lack of phantom power - I will have to find a solution for this. From my DSLR times, I have a Zoom H4N which can act as external preamp and provides phantom power for up to 2 mics. Guess I will use it with the BMCC too...

adamroberts

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Jason Greene wrote:Yes. For a mic that does not require phantom power, but has XLR connections, this is what I have a use. It is not just a good idea, it is a necessity!

For a mic needing phantom power, you must find a way of inserting that phantom power. I use an external pre-amp that has phantom power and connect its line out to the BMCC 1/4" inputs.

I had these custom cables made up to use with a Sound Devices MixPre-D:
http://instagram.com/p/X_76pkNhUC/

Includes a tape return so the sound person can also monitor what the camera is recording.

Return to Cinematography