New Video Assist for BMPCC4K (request)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Craig Seeman

New Video Assist for BMPCC4K (request)

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Given that BMPCC4K:
    is only 1080 out over HDMI
    but is 4k out of USB-C
    can be charged by USB-C but not powered by it
    can be powered by 12V DC
    could benefit by an articulating screen

Blackmagic make a New Video Assist for the BMPCC4K
    has built in SSD (allows user to slot in) from USB-C
    takes HDMI out for monitoring
    can be powered by Sony L series or U series batteries
    can power the BMPCC4k from it's battery
    can charge the BMPCC4k Canon battery when camera is off.

You've now added:
    higher capacity external 4k recorder
    built in to an external articulating monitor
    which can also power the camera externally
    or charge it when the camera is off.

Solves a boat load of quibbles in one product.
perhaps one would want a sort of camera side bracket to manage the three cables, USB-C, Power, HDMI.
My own special addendum. Have it record ProRes RAW please.

rick.lang

Re: New Video Assist for BMPCC4K (request)

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Good idea. At this point we see BMD assuming people are going to gaffer tape an external SSD to a tripod leg or their head! Sure that’s the way Mad Max would do it, but it’s just not in keeping with BMD’s elegant design ethos.

I just think it’s too early and when the camera is released their will be an elegant solution to manage that dangling SSD. Craig has a very good proposal for one solution that will have a multipurpose and bring in more revenue than us buying gaffer tape from a third party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Craig Seeman

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Are we the only ones who see the utility in this? It solves "frankenrig" fo at least some situations?

Currently one could get a SmallHD monitor which can also power the Pocket4K but you're left to bolt on an external SSD drive.

It's interesting to note that BMD seems to have a penchant for "unique" output as they did with Thunderbolt out on BMCC and BMP4K. There's not likely to be any third party all in one solution given other camera manufacturers haven't implemented USB-C video out. So this is BMD's opportunity to provide an all in one solution for all those who'd be looking at SmallHD or other options. They can avoid the "frankenrig" criticism by offering their own, "in house" solution. Basically there's no 4K compatible third party monitor/recorders and there's not likely to be one (unless a bevy of camera manufactures have reason to add USB-C video out).

I'm surprised others don't see the utility in this given the alternative they face in bolting on SSDs for longer record times for less money than cFast, power supplies to extend an optimistic 60 minute internal battery and and external monitors for those "odd" viewing angles, then descry the cumbersome rig one must build for most shoots.

BMD could have an answer if users show interest otherwise in five months or less you'll be hunting through third party solutions of various grace and quality deciding to go with what comes out first, or waiting for better with interim jury-rigs.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 pm

It could be a workable solution assuming that the usb-c didn't buffer write data. Which could cause the monitoring to be glitchy. A better solution is for BM to support all record modes to output on HDMI. That way we don't have to wait for BM to come out with a specialized VA, and existing BM and third party products could be used.

Craig Seeman

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 6:16 pm

I suspect all record modes out of HDMI would require hardware changes that aren't going to happen.
I think BMD had specific motives in choosing USB-C and limiting HDMI to 1080.
I don't see any reason why there'd be any issues with USB-C recording. I don't see how it would impact the monitor if properly designed. As it is HDMI out and USB-C out work simultaneously so HDMI for viewing and USB-C for recording. The electronics could be very much separate other than there's an SSD sled built into the monitor (if they want to keep things simple and as cheap as possible).

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes, the current HDMI standard only support a video signal, not Raw Camera data stream, so recording a Raw to an external monitor requires a 6/12G SDI connection. That said, the CFast card slot wil, record Raw internally, so external recording of Raw is kind of mute, me thinks. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Craig Seeman

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 pm

SSDs are much less expensive for much greater capacity than CFast 2. I suspect BMD thought some users would want that option which is why they support it through USB-C.

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Yes, but this primarily for recording video,via ProRes, wth Raw recording out the USB-C also mentioned?
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Craig Seeman

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, but this primarily for recording video,via ProRes, was Raw recording out the USB-C also mentioned?
Cheers

I thought it supported DCI 4K cDNG as well but I'll double check that.

Craig Seeman

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 9:03 pm

12bit RAW out USB-C to SSD
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 5.00.14 PM.png
12bit RAW out USB-C to SSD
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 5.00.14 PM.png (147.32 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

Chris Chiasson

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 1:01 am

Definitely would want VA 2 to have a SSD built in or slot in, that we can feed RAW using the USB C cable.

After the Pocket 4K is released, the next thing I'd want besides a Micro Cine 4k is a Video Assist 2.

Here were my requests after learning about the Pocket 4K.

1) Make it thinner. And less heavy.

2) Take advantage of the USB C port and/or Blue Tooth, and allow us to control the Pocket 4K and Micro Cine 4K with the Video Assist. Also, maybe allow Video Assist to have SSDs inserted into it. that record by the USB C port. That way, you're not sacrificing the Pocket's USB C port to monitor and control (and heck, maybe even power), but also record from the Assist at the same time.

3) Improve the screen for sunlight and make it less reflective.

4) Add a speaker for 5" version, and mic jack for those using it with a DSLR with bad audio amps.

Craig Seeman

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 3:19 am

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, but this primarily for recording video,via ProRes, was Raw recording out the USB-C also mentioned?
Cheers

The official word on USB-C out
Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 11.14.51 PM.png
DCI RAW Uncompressed 30fps, 3:1 60fps
Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 11.14.51 PM.png (129.06 KiB) Viewed 1857 times

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 5:43 am

Thanks Craig.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am

I'm going to be real interested to see what drives can actually perform since most normal external ssds obviously weren't designed with continuous writing of 4k video files. I assume Blackmagic will come out with an approved list, of course. Drives like the very affordable and small Samsung T5 are high up on my wishlist ...

Craig Seeman

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 5:09 am

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 1.09.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 1.09.14 AM.png (99.11 KiB) Viewed 1789 times

Return to Cinematography