BMD - please keep pushing cDNG!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Janis Lionel

BMD - please keep pushing cDNG!

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 7:46 am

Hi folks,

There is a lot of discussion around ProRes RAW and a lot of people requiring it for BMD. For me there's only one reason I would prefer PR RAW over cDNG right now. The container which makes it faster to playback / copy / archive etc. Other than that I would prefer to keep cDNG because of several reasons:

- it's an open format and you don't have to play by Apples rules. The announcement already shimmers through the mentality behind it: ONLY ON FINAL CUT. The probably will open up, to other systems, but they decide that. Will Windows user also benefit from it? This can be doubted...
- it's there codec-wise a big difference between DNG and PR RAW? As far as I understand not really.

The one thing I would hope for is that BMD would introduce a container for DNG. I wrote with the creator of slimRAW (a great tool for DNG compression). He said it's kind of an egg / chick problem: Containering cDNG is already around as .MXF but because cameras don't support it editing softwares can't read it and because editing softwares can't read it, cameras won't support.

So my wish is that BMD stays with DNG but keeps evolving it!

What are you reasons why you would prefer PR RAW? Just the good name of ProRes?

Juts my two cents.
Cheers
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

carlomacchiavello

Re: BMD - please keep pushing cDNG!

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Another reason to stai on cdng :
- Stability in case of data corruption. If some frames gone is ok, recovery data from video stream raw is a pain.
- Less memory loading when you work on frame instead a video stream, also if it's a Di like prores. All big post house use frames sequence, not clip video.
- If Apple support only ISO and wb change in fcpx when we can thought all other app will can access to all raw datas?

I'm happy if we have more options to save shooting, but before proresRaw, which is a young and immature standard (no one color or post software support it, Apple itself don't use the advantage of raw in fcpx), please remember that we haven't dnxhd/hr on Ursa and many others features more valuable than proresRaw.
If you want prores you can record all prores from proxy to 444, which is more than most of people need.

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography