Polarizer filter for BMD cameras

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi guys,
in the time of shooting polarizer filter choosing is not simple, i read tons of reviews and sometime i see problem of color shifting, lighting reducing and more.
i need to buy a polarizer filter for 77mm, i want to choose a good polarizer filer, anyone can suggest me a good polarizer?
i'm going to see hoya hd gold (but someone worte that change color when you polarize light) and marumy, Gobe seeems like good, I read good about Nisi filter, but ...
some suggest from direct experiences with bmd sensors?

OwenCrowley

Re: Polarizer filter for BMD cameras

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 12:43 am

I think the answer for you depends on which camera and lense you have, and whether you use manual or auto focus.

In my case, I have a Ursa Mini Pro, which already has an infrared filter built in. And I only use manual focus lenses. As a result, I am happy with the Schneider Linear True-Pol polarizing filter. However, if instead I were using auto focus lenses, a linear polarizing filter might interfere with the auto focusing mechanism.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 8:02 am

OwenCrowley wrote:I think the answer for you depends on which camera and lense you have, and whether you use manual or auto focus.

In my case, I have a Ursa Mini Pro, which already has an infrared filter built in. And I only use manual focus lenses. As a result, I am happy with the Schneider Linear True-Pol polarizing filter. However, if instead I were using auto focus lenses, a linear polarizing filter might interfere with the auto focusing mechanism.

Sorry for my mistake, i not thought to write it, Me too i use the UrsaMinipro, i usually go with manual focus. Thanks for your suggest, i just have different 4x4 filter from Schneider and i'm happy with them.

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Carlo, it’s going to be pricey, but did you see the NAB 2018 (review of the) new product announcement from Bright Tangerine that includes a rotating stage for a 138mm polarizing filter? Looks great to me and I use the original Misfit Atom.

The Clash 138:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/09/ ... k-release/

https://www.cinema5d.com/bright-tangeri ... announced/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 2:59 pm

rick.lang wrote:Carlo, it’s going to be pricey, but did you see the NAB 2018 (review of the) new product announcement from Bright Tangerine that includes a rotating stage for a 138mm polarizing filter? Looks great to me and I use the original Misfit Atom.

The Clash 138:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/04/09/ ... k-release/

https://www.cinema5d.com/bright-tangeri ... announced/

Hi Rick,
thanks for a suggest, i will check it, but i just have a croziel mattebox, and i prefer to buy a classic circular filter, to use it also when i'm in a run and gun setup.
About a price, when i can, i prefer to spend more and grab better quality as i can, i'm from genoa, my grandma told me: when you need, grab the best as you can, it keep good along years, it's an investment for the future :-D

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 3:07 pm

I’ve always tried to follow your grandma’s advice.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Me too Carlo, the SLR variable ND can be used as a polarizer filter, with its two rings, one for ND and the other adjusts polarizing effect. Color is very neutral on my Micro Cinema camera. Also I use B&W and Schneider polarizer filters, which are Laos very good ad very little color cast.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Mr too Carlo, the SLR variable ND can be used as a polarizer filter, with its two rings, one for ND and the other adjusts polarizing effect. Color is very neutral on my Micro Cinema camera. Also I use B&W and Schneider polarizer filters, which are Laos very good ad very little color cast.
Cheers

Good to know, I had full eclipse which work quite well like variable ND, I know that is also a polarizer, but not had dual rotation ring. I search it to test and eventually I will sell full eclipse

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography