Basics for Grading/Correcting BMCC Footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Paul Stone

Basics for Grading/Correcting BMCC Footage

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 am

Hi guys,

So we've finally had a chance to go out and shoot some Cinema Camera footage, and now I'm looking for some tips for grading. We're shooting in DNXHD Film Mode.

I've got Resolve installed, but I'm thinking we're better off working directly in After Effects if possible (our jobs tend to be pretty fast-turnaround, so eliminating the extra step would help a lot). Are there any particular techniques or plugins people have found to be useful, besides the typical curves stuff?

Cheers in advance!

Trevor Zuck

Re: Basics for Grading/Correcting BMCC Footage

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 4:04 am

Paul Stone wrote:Hi guys,

So we've finally had a chance to go out and shoot some Cinema Camera footage, and now I'm looking for some tips for grading. We're shooting in DNXHD Film Mode.

I've got Resolve installed, but I'm thinking we're better off working directly in After Effects if possible (our jobs tend to be pretty fast-turnaround, so eliminating the extra step would help a lot). Are there any particular techniques or plugins people have found to be useful, besides the typical curves stuff?

Cheers in advance!

Use Resolve. After Effects is great for a lot, but editing video is not one of them. After Effects should never be the 1st stop for footage, and only needed for VFX, graphics, or other post picture lock extras, but if you absolutely have to, use Finesse.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Paul Stone

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 4:23 am

TZuck wrote:Use Resolve. After Effects is great for a lot, but editing video is not one of them. After Effects should never be the 1st stop for footage, and only needed for VFX, graphics, or other post picture lock extras, but if you absolutely have to, use Finesse.

Cheers for the tips. Can you recommend any tutorial resources for Resolve? I've managed to glean a few basics from just playing around, but it's got a bit of a fighter-jet dashboard thing going on with all the controls and readouts.

Margus Voll

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 5:27 am

With resolve you would like to read the original manual and then take a course maybe like this:

http://www.rippletraining.com/categorie ... lve-9.html
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

adamroberts

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 am

There are loads of videos on YouTube and Vimeo covering Resolve basics.

As a starter these 3 by Den Lennie are good:
http://www.fstopacademy.com/blog/color- ... resolve-9/

Return to Cinematography