NEW Green Focus Assist

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Chapman

NEW Green Focus Assist

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Hey BMD (and Christine),

Can you or anyone else who knows answer this? As a current 2.5k BMCC owner, I'd like to know if we will be getting the new green focus assist in a software update. It was running on the new cameras at NAB. I actually didn't go to the 2.5k camera to check (I should have).

I hope this is minor enough to answer here.

Also, are we all correct in understanding that in the future, all models will have the same software version (and features)? Eventually, will all have the same...

1. Compressed Raw recording option
2. Menu updates
3. Focus Assist

Thanks!
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

adamroberts

Re: NEW Green Focus Assist

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 4:12 pm

I believe in this interview Grant says the software on all 3 cameras is the same. So all software features should be available on all 3 of the cameras.

Edit - The focus assist on the current BMCC is green(ish). I just check mine to be sure.

Manu Gil

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Someone I can summarize what I said in the video. Because I can hardly hear the language. Thank you very much.

Alguien me puede resumir lo que dicen en el video. Porque me cuesta mucho oir el idioma. Muchas gracias

sean mclennan

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 8:13 pm

creer en esta entrevista Grant dice el software en todas las 3 cámaras es el mismo. Así que todas las funciones de software deben estar disponibles en todos los 3 de las cámaras.

Manu Gil

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi Sean. thanks.

Jake Segraves

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Is there anything special I need to do to get the focus assist working? I keep pressing the Focus button, but I never see any green lines assisting me. I too saw it working at NAB, but it doesn't seem to be working on the BMCC that I just got today. I've tried several lenses without any luck. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: not sure what I did, but it seems to be working now... its not green but at least the assist part of it is working.
Last edited by Jake Segraves on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jake Segraves

PaulDelVecchio

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Jake Segraves wrote:Is there anything special I need to do to get the focus assist working? I keep pressing the Focus button, but I never see any green lines assisting me. I too saw it working at NAB, but it doesn't seem to be working on the BMCC that I just got today. I've tried several lenses without any luck. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

There green peaking is a new feature on the 4K camera (not sure about the Pocket Cam). Your current BMCC won't have it. Hopefully it comes in the future (most likely). For now, it's a lot more subtle with white and sometimes red colors. Aim your camera at something with a lot of detail, make sure it's remotely in focus, and press the Iris button. You should see white and sometimes a little red, depending on how in focus you are.

As it is right now, the peaking works but the green is so much better. I'm sure we'll get it in a future firmware upgrade.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jake Segraves

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks Paul...I think i got it sorted now.
Jake Segraves

Return to Cinematography