What are the benefits of a Baked-in LUT?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

LeeArtPatterson

What are the benefits of a Baked-in LUT?

PostWed May 02, 2018 1:23 pm

This was promoted around the new BMPCC4K. Personally, I wouldn't normally choose to impact the footage in any way, shape or form; well, not before the edit session. However, I might well be missing a trick and would welcome any insights into the pro's of making that choice in the recording process. Thanks in advance

John Brawley

Re: What are the benefits of a Baked-in LUT?

PostWed May 02, 2018 6:25 pm

LeeArtPatterson wrote:This was promoted around the new BMPCC4K. Personally, I wouldn't normally choose to impact the footage in any way, shape or form; well, not before the edit session. However, I might well be missing a trick and would welcome any insights into the pro's of making that choice in the recording process. Thanks in advance

Shooting ProRes for a client that wants to take the footage away and use it immediately as soon as you wrap.

In other words they don't want to grade, they just want to get it out as fast as possible.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

LeeArtPatterson

PostThu May 03, 2018 1:49 pm

thank you John

carlomacchiavello

PostThu May 03, 2018 9:07 pm

I miss it, it’s a great feature for everyone work in an environment where need common video source :-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

LeeArtPatterson

PostFri May 04, 2018 6:58 am

Grazie Carlo

Savannah Miller

PostSun May 06, 2018 1:58 am

You could also create a lut that makes a camera match more like the prinicple camera which would save a small amount of time in post production as well as allow all your cameras to easily match more closely in video village. I am noot sure exactly how well that would work in practice.

I think cameras with a higher dynamic range you would have to worry about clipping something somewhere during the process but with Pocket 4K it might not be too bad.

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun May 06, 2018 8:15 pm

John Brawley wrote:
LeeArtPatterson wrote:This was promoted around the new BMPCC4K. Personally, I wouldn't normally choose to impact the footage in any way, shape or form; well, not before the edit session. However, I might well be missing a trick and would welcome any insights into the pro's of making that choice in the recording process. Thanks in advance

Shooting ProRes for a client that wants to take the footage away and use it immediately as soon as you wrap.

In other words they don't want to grade, they just want to get it out as fast as possible.

JB

Yes, I'm sometimes in that type of situation. I also frequently have gigs for producers who aren't in any rush, but who won't be doing extensive color grading and so they require me to deliver REC709 rather than log files. For those jobs, I choose to run everything I shoot on UMP through Resolve before handing it off because the "video" recording mode in the UMP clips highlights far too harshly relative to the look I'd like to deliver.

Having the ability to bake in a LUT that I've created in Resolve specific to the shoot will be tremendously useful. I hope BMD is will someday add this feature to the Ursa Mini Pro, but I don't know if its hardware has the power to do it. I'm sure BMD has chosen newer hardware for use inside the 4K Pocket and that may be what makes burned in user selected LUTs possible.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Or develop something like old active metadata of cineform where you can add a lut like metadata without rewrite or save a new file.
I hope too that ump hardware is enought strong to support this feature. I develop some custom lut to preview and manage better my shooting, especially for highlight and midtone from log and many times if I can avoid to load in resolve and export new files could be time and space saved.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

LeeArtPatterson

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Thank you all

andyfilmmaker

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 11:41 am

Speed and post workflow. As others have said depends on the client, and how rushed they are. Shooting flat gives you much for to play with in post but using a baked in LUT allows you to have the look of the footage sorted straight away.

Return to Cinematography