User Manuals?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Stewart Fairweather

User Manuals?

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:08 am

Is it just me, or are the user manuals for the cameras almost impossible to find on the main BMD site?

Here I am trying to find out if, and if so, how, Jam Sync works on the BMPC4K,.. and I'll be buggered if the user manual is an easy to find link.

And people wonder why I bought a Cion instead,....

Denny Smith

Re: User Manuals?

PostThu May 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Are you referring to thr new Pocket csmera 4K, or the old Production Camera 4K? The new Pocket camera manual'is not out yet, the Production c are 4K is in the old Cinema Camera Manual. Manuals are on three BM Support site, click Support, then click thrnProCamers icon, and camera manuals will,show up in the center column, newest csmera on top to o,desk manuals, as you scroll down.

As for how Jam Sync works, it is pretty much the same on all cameras that have this feature, you connect an external time code source, like the TC out from another camera, to the TC input on the camera being sync’d to, wait a few minutes for the two to lock, some cameras give you an indication this is happening, once locked, disconnect the TC cable, and the two cameras will keep the same time code reference until one of them starts to drift, but this usually takes more than an hour or more to happen.

BM has responded in a previous discussion of thr new Pocket 4K, how it handles TC sync signals.
Cheers.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri May 04, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

michaeldhead

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

michaeldhead

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Leon Benzakein

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:15 pm

Firstly condolences on your purchase of the CION and for being buggered.

On cameras that do not have a TC input BNC plug and a dedicated track, you will need to sacrifice one of the audio channels to record TC.

This is fairly common with the less expensive cameras.
The idea is to have TC on one channel and scratch audio on the other.

If you use a Tentacle Sync (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... d_set.html) it will do this for you because it has a microphone on the TC generator that you connect to the camera.

Strangely enough I do wonder why you bought a CION,......
Last edited by Leon Benzakein on Fri May 04, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri May 04, 2018 12:02 am

I also wonder why Stewart bought a Cion...

But he does have a point about BM's support page. It is very non-standard. Usually., for a company with the variety of products that BM sells and supports there is a somewhat standard method of selecting a model or entering a serial number which then displays a page of downloads for firmware, software, manuals etc.

I really like the way Dell does it. Doesn't matter what the product is, I enter the service tag and not only does it know about the product but the specific unit as well, along with any service history and with suggested firmware and driver updates. Great if you are buying used equipment and want to know about its history.

rick.lang

PostFri May 04, 2018 3:32 am

Canon is another good example of everything related to your product on one page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Stewart Fairweather

PostSat May 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Denny : Thanks, Production Camera 4K
We had the Tentacle available, but finding a manual labeled clearly "Production Camera 4K" doesn't work,... Had more time to look tonight and found the "Compact Cameras Manual",.. so we'll see if it's in there, rather following industry standards and having clearly labeled manuals for Each device.

We ran a cable from the BMPC4K's SDI output to the Zoom F8, locking the recorder to the camera.
The F8 loops the timecode out, so when I added the Cion to the BMPC4K to get coverage before we lost a child actor for the day, it was just another cable to the Cion.

The Cion also jams instantly, same as ENG cams do.

Michealhead: You still use Google,...? that's nice, hope you like having your browsers turned in to listening devices too.

Gene: yes, that's more like BMD should do - Lenovo is the same, enter the serial number and get a list of downloads, drivers, spare parts, optional extras, etc etc.

Leon & Gene: no buggering, well, beyond Atomos and Convergent Design saying they'd support the Aja Raw out, then quietly dropping it,.... I think they found out how high the Raw bit rate is :D

As for why I bought it, Ergonomics for starters, the dynamic range is more then adequate, as I know how to light :) , and so that my footage doesn't look identical to everyone stuck with their awkward to use Sony's, Reds, and BMDs, and most important to me, No Rolling Shutter!

The Cion outputs the Linear images straight from the sensor, and can even be set to have the raw colour channels with no white balance applied. Shots with the Gamma curves Disabled can be put through Resolves OpenFX Colourspace Transform, and converted in to anything you'd like.

One of the Cion owners in France takes the Linear output, transforms to Arri LogC, and grades from there,... and it looks pretty damn nice.

It's a camera with a learning curve steeper then a Falcon9 Launch, that and the Linear output is probably what led to it getting poor reviews, especially the one at Cinema5D by someone who clearly had no idea how to use the camera to it's best effect.

Given the price it's available for, it's a bargain.
(If you know the right person to ask, it's available at half the US RRP)

Just for a laugh, search which other camera has Linear Raw output, that's the other brand Atomos dropped support for.

Stewart Fairweather

PostSat May 26, 2018 4:09 pm

Oh/And,...

Since Aja actually made the mount interchangeable (commiserations to all the Ursa owners waiting for the Turret,..), and we made our own M4/3rd and E mounts, I can adapt it to any lens I like.

I usually shoot with my Pentax Primes in front of the focal reducer, or PK to E mount, and right now there's a B4 ENG lens on a B4-to-PL adapter in front of it.

Denny Smith

PostSat May 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Stewart, yes the original Cinema and Production cameras are in that manual.
Good ,Ickes.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography