Antler FCP X LUT plugin pre-release demo version

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nick Shaw

Antler FCP X LUT plugin pre-release demo version

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Although I had hoped to release my Blackmagic Film plugin, which many of you will have seen Adam Roberts' excellent demonstration video of, in time for NAB, circumstances beyond my control have forced me to delay the release (although not for too long, I hope.) In view of this I have decided to make a watermarked version available to everybody to let people experience it for themselves until I am ready for final release.

Before installing my plugin you need to install the Conduit plugin for FCP X/Motion, which is downloadable for free from http://pixelconduit.com/downloads.html#plugins. For the more technically inclined, I thoroughly recommend you look more deeply at Conduit itself, as it is very powerful and useful. But otherwise once installed it can be ignored, as my plugin uses the Conduit render engine transparently to the user.

The installer for my plugin can be downloaded from here

Please post feedback and questions in this thread.

The plugin should be fairly self explanatory, but for a quick intro watch Adam Roberts' video (http://bit.ly/ZEKBFN) and my demo (http://bit.ly/12tUSs2).
Last edited by Nick Shaw on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Workflow Consultant, London UK
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

Theodore Prentice

Re: Antler FCP X LUT plugin pre-release demo version

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks Nick, looking forward to checking it out.

Sorry to hear about the setbacks. Hopefully it all works out for you soon.

adamroberts

PostMon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 pm

I'll be posting a new demo video soon comparing the in camera Video mode vs Film mode and applying the plugin.

I already have some grey UK footage and next week I'll have some sunny Cape Town footage to add to the demo. This should give you a nice idea of the benefits.

David Chapman

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 am

Watermarked? I think some of us are willing to pay the $50 now, unless you're planning a more expensive plugin.

:-/
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 2:36 am

Hi Nick: I'm curious if you have a sense yet if your plugin software will handle 4K ProRes HQ "Film" footage (such as from the new BMPC-4K camera) about as easily as 1080p footage from the current BMCC camera?

My own limited experience with 4K ProRes HQ footage indicates it's handled easily even using relatively old hardware & software, but perhaps you've found otherwise? Just curious if things look promising or not. Cheers.

Nick Shaw

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 am

davechap wrote:Watermarked? I think some of us are willing to pay the $50 now, unless you're planning a more expensive plugin.

No, I don't anticipate having to raise the price beyond the $49.95 I have already announced.

The reasons I can't release quite yet are too involved to go into in detail here, but I am as keen as anybody to get the plugin released as soon as possible!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Hi Nick: I'm curious if you have a sense yet if your plugin software will handle 4K ProRes HQ "Film" footage (such as from the new BMPC-4K camera) about as easily as 1080p footage from the current BMCC camera?

I have no test footage from the new camera, so can't be certain. However anybody could take some 1080p footage from the current camera and up-scale it to 4k ProRes(HQ) and test it with this demo plugin on their own system. That should give you a pretty good idea of performance.
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

wro

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 pm

i have problem with your plugin Nick. I have instaled first Conduit and than your plugin and i have this - http://zapodaj.net/6cf6a980e88bf.png.html

Where is problem?

Nick Shaw

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

wro wrote:i have problem with your plugin Nick. I have instaled first Conduit and than your plugin and i have this - http://zapodaj.net/6cf6a980e88bf.png.html

Where is problem?

Peculiar. Sorry about that. Can you email me directly with details of what your system and software versions are and I'll try to get to the bottom of it.

Anybody else had problems? Post your experiences here.

Thanks
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

wro

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 9:54 am

i will send you a e-mail :) i will be wainting for more information from you :)

Jason Hinkle

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Awesome! I just took the demo for a spin. I think the plugin has exactly the right amount of controls to do quick adjustments without having to go through DaVinci first. This will be a big time-saver on projects with a fast turn-around.

I have a question if anybody knows, please forgive my ignorance about color spaces and lookup tables... but if I generate proxy media and work on that (which I often do with FCPX) is the proxy media going to have the same color space or whatever as the original? In other words if I'm working with proxy media and the LUT plugin - will I be seeing comparable colors with proxy media as when I switch back to full-res for the final renders?

Thanks for the work on the plugin. Add my name to the list of people who will buy it when it's released. I wish it were available now in fact!

adamroberts

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Attached are two screen shots for Cape Town today. These were shot during some camera prep before tomorrow's shoot.

Click the images to see the full image.

Both were shot in ProRes Film mode with a Carl Zeiss ZF.2 35mm f/2 @ f/5.6.

The first was shot using the Genustech ND Fader Filter only. It was then processed only with the Antler plugin. As you can see there is a fair bit of IR contamination.
Antler-Film-Rec709-No_IR.jpg
No IR Filter
Antler-Film-Rec709-No_IR.jpg (410.64 KiB) Viewed 16936 times

The second was shot using a Hoya UV & IR Cut filter along with the Genustech ND Fader Filter. It was then also processed with the Antler plugin. As you can see the brown colour cast has gone from the sky and the shadows.
Antler-Film-Rec709-HoyaIR.jpg
Hoya IR
Antler-Film-Rec709-HoyaIR.jpg (408.11 KiB) Viewed 16936 times

Note that I was using an early beta version of the Antler plugin as that was the one I had installed on this machine. The colour has been tweaked and improved since this version but the colour cast you see in the first version is due to IR pollution.

Nick Shaw

PostThu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Jason Hinkle wrote:…if I generate proxy media and work on that (which I often do with FCPX) is the proxy media going to have the same color space or whatever as the original? In other words if I'm working with proxy media and the LUT plugin - will I be seeing comparable colors with proxy media as when I switch back to full-res for the final renders.

The idea of proxy media is that it should match the original, so switching between the two should be invisible. It would only be different if you deliberately "baked in" the LUT into proxy media for editorial to lighten the load on your editing system. As far as I know there is no way to do this in FCP X. You could do it with Resolve, but the purpose of my plugin is that you shouldn't need to.
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

wro

PostFri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 pm

I make FCP X update (to v. 10.0.8) and problem is solved :)

Thanks Nick :)

Nick Shaw

PostThu May 02, 2013 12:04 am

Just wondering whether anybody who has downloaded the demo has any feedback for me.

Only the one reported issue so far on this thread, and that turned out to be FCP X version compatibility. I would recommend 10.0.8 in any case to avoid the FCP X flash frame bug.

Thanks in advance.
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

Jason Hinkle

PostThu May 02, 2013 9:33 am

I've played with the plugin a bit. Since it has a watermark I obviously haven't been able to really put it to actual use on a real project. But, playing around with it, it seemed to be simple and effective without any problems. In particular due to the watermark I haven't really tried exporting/rending anything.

I found a very minor glitch where I added the LUT plugin on a clip and disabled it. However when I hovered over a totally different effect the "live preview" showed the LUT watermark - even thought the LUT plugin was disabled. I thought that was weird, but it didn't seem to have a effect on anything and it went away by simply removing the LUT plugin then adding it back.

Aside from that my CPU fan goes nuts when the plugin is added to a clip - but I suppose working with the large files is CPU intensive!

Zack Wilson

PostSat May 04, 2013 12:43 am

Nick Shaw wrote:Just wondering whether anybody who has downloaded the demo has any feedback for me.

Only the one reported issue so far on this thread, and that turned out to be FCP X version compatibility. I would recommend 10.0.8 in any case to avoid the FCP X flash frame bug.

Thanks in advance.

If you're still giving beta tests out - I'd certainly like to try it and can give some feedback.

Nick Shaw

PostMon May 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Jason Hinkle wrote:I found a very minor glitch where I added the LUT plugin on a clip and disabled it. However when I hovered over a totally different effect the "live preview" showed the LUT watermark - even thought the LUT plugin was disabled. I thought that was weird, but it didn't seem to have a effect on anything and it went away by simply removing the LUT plugin then adding it back.

Odd. I can't reproduce that. Perhaps it was a glitch related to FCP X's cacheing. But thanks for flagging it up.

Zack Wilson wrote:If you're still giving beta tests out - I'd certainly like to try it and can give some feedback.

I'm afraid I have sufficient beta testers for the time being.
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

David Chapman

PostSun May 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi Nick, how close are you to releasing your plugin? I've been following along for quite a while, but not sure if you are having issues releasing it due to licensing? You alluded to something in a previous post.

I wish there was something out there for the quick BMCC ProRes log2video for FCPX today. Anyone know if there's some other filter in the works? I'll ping my developer resources and report back.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Jason Hinkle

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 5:28 pm

davechap wrote:I wish there was something out there for the quick BMCC ProRes log2video for FCPX today. Anyone know if there's some other filter in the works? I'll ping my developer resources and report back.

There's a plugin called BMCC deFlat included in the CoreMelt Free package at http://www.coremelt.com/download.html

I find the adjustment settings Nick chose to implement give me a really nice looking result without having to mess about too much. With the deFlat plugin I feel like I have to fiddle with the plugin settings quite a lot at first and then usually add another correction on top of that. Antler has a tint, temperature and pedestal settings which combine to just make a really rich looking neutral grade without tons of messing around. deFlat actually has more settings including Hue (green/pink) but no temperature (blue/yellow) adjustment. I find myself fiddling with the deFlat plugin a lot more and not being able to get the image to a neutral grade very easily. I wind up adding another correction on top of deFlat. But, it is free and available right now.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 5:24 pm

Dear Nick,

since there's a conduit for AE too, will your plug-in work with AE as well?

Regards
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mark Davies

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Really would love to use this in AE!
Mark Davies

Nick Shaw

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 9:36 pm

nomad wrote:since there's a conduit for AE too, will your plug-in work with AE as well?

Not tested, but I'm sure it could be used in AE. However the way rigging in Motion works allows me to present the controls in FCP X in a more elegant way than I think would be possible in AE. Might be possible to do something with AE expressions. I'll test when I get time. But there's no reason you couldn't try yourself either.
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

Nick Shaw

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 pm

OK, my plugin can be used in AE. But giving the sliders defined ranges, and names visible in AE involves a bunch of expression links. Not very elegant. Anybody know if there is a way of building the equivalent of a Nuke gizmo in After Effects?

(right-click and "open image in new window" to see the detail)
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

Nick Shaw

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I have posted an update to the watermarked demo, to bring it in line with the current beta.

You can download it here.

The main differences from the previous demo are:

1. There is now a draft PDF user guide

2. There is an "adjustment layer" version of the plugin included

3. For those who are not happy with the default BMD colour matrix, there is an option to switch that off and use the saturation control instead.
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

Maarten Butter

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Works and looks great! Hope you can release it soon.

Rob Hargreaves

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to purchase the FCP X LUT plugin yet?
http://www.antlerpost.com/Store.html
I only see Blackmagic Film to Video plugin US$30.
Thanks

Nick Shaw

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm

plegilink wrote:Hi,
Is it possible to purchase the FCP X LUT plugin yet?
http://www.antlerpost.com/Store.html
I only see Blackmagic Film to Video plugin US$30.
Thanks

That is the FCP 7 version. I'm afraid the FCP X version is still not available to buy. However I plan shortly to make my beta programme an open public beta, so everybody will be able to use an un-watermarked version.
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

Rob Hargreaves

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Great, looking forward to that.

Denver Riddle

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 4:59 am

3D LUTs in .cube format are now supported in Final Cut Pro X including the Blackmagic Film to Rec709 LUT.

http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility

LUTs can also be exported from DaVinci and loaded into FCP X

Cheers,
Denver Riddle
Denver Riddle
Color Grading Central
http://www.colorgradingcentral.com

Antoine Polin

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Hello, I came across this old topic and download the watermarked demo. I love this plugin : it looks nice and it's FAST. Is there a way to get the non watermarked plugin ?
I tried to email @ antler, but I have no answer...

Please tell me it's possible to buy it...

Thank you !
Mac Pro 2019 16cores/48Go RAM/Radeon Pro Vega 2 32. Resolve 16.2.1 Studio

Return to Cinematography