Ursa Mini Pro to create proxies on SD card

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Emilian Dechev

Ursa Mini Pro to create proxies on SD card

PostSat May 26, 2018 10:34 am

We already know, that the UMP cannot record proxies to SD cards simultaneously.

ANd now this idea just hit me... is it technically possible, for the UMP to make a COPY from the CFAST to the SD card after the recording? This process may be used on a shot-by-shot base, or copying the whole card at once.

It seems like a software solution, but may involve some hardware issues, as the CPU needs to convert and write the files.

It surely will take some time, but it may be worth it to make a backup during the brake or between shots.

rick.lang

Re: Ursa Mini Pro to create proxies on SD card

PostSat May 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Emilian, never say never when it comes to firmware features, but I think this question was answered in the Ask the Expert thread. There will be no Copy capability after a recording has been made. And no simultaneous recording on different media as a backup as well. And no transfer to a computer managed by the camera.

The positive takeaway, about having multiple media cards, is that the camera will detect which slots have media mounted and go to the alternate card automatically when the designated card is full.

So the ability to record non-stop is also there to the degree that after a CFast 2 Card is full, the camera will write to the SDXC card giving you time to replace the full CFast 2 Card with another empty card. Of course doing that isn’t a recommended best practice since ideally the camera should be shutdown when removing/mounting a media card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Emilian Dechev

Re: Ursa Mini Pro to create proxies on SD card

PostSat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Ouch, I am sad again. The Video Assist option is kind of alright. Thanks for the info!

Return to Cinematography