Problem with Camera Update 5.1

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bearallison

Problem with Camera Update 5.1

PostMon May 28, 2018 9:29 am

I have an Ursa Mini Pro and have installed update 5.1. The problem happens when I try to change codec or resolution. The camera freezes/locks up. I have downgraded back to 4.9 and everything is fine.

Mike Potton

Re: Problem with Camera Update 5.1

PostMon May 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Yep same with me, complete lock up.

Alongside the previous firmware that crashed the camera when the stills button was pressed it's now become clear that blackmagic simply isn't testing their updates at all.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 29, 2018 7:17 am

Apologies guys this one slipped through.

This menu freeze only occurs on URSA Mini Pro if you select 3K Anamorphic or 4.6K 2.40:1, or if you select ProRes with Windowed 'On' and then select 4.6K. It does not happen randomly.

We've found the bug and have a fix for it which we will get out ASAP.

Mike Potton

PostTue May 29, 2018 10:33 am

Hi Tim

'Slipped through' makes sense in regards to edge case issues but falls a little flat when something as fundamental as changing formats or pressing a physical button causes complete lock ups.

Well scripted testing, automated or manual would have definitely picked these issues up. A couple days worth of exploratory testing with a small beta group would have also likely picked these up.

This leads to the unfortunate conclusion that no systematic testing is done before GM release, resulting in early adopters becoming guinea pigs followed by a scramble to patch up bugs.

I guess it's frustrating when free, awesome and regular updates which are a feature of BMD cameras that set them apart from the competition turn from such a great asset into a liability.

Nate Porter

PostTue May 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Good thing I was reading the forum while waiting for the camera update to download. Guess I'll wait till 5.2

Denny Smith

PostTue May 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Mike, actually, this is a bit of a stretch, going from 3K Anamorphic or 4.6K 2.40:1, or if you select ProRes with Windowed 'On' and then select 4.6K, is not exactly a common camera change. Yes, it should have been caught, but... :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mike Potton

PostTue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Mike, actually, this is a bit of a stretch

Denny, sorry I don't want to come across heavy handed. The camera OS is brilliant and far more intuitive than anything from the competition.

But some of the bugs coming through these days are a little concerning don't you think? The previous still button crash suggests that BMD never tested the cameras physical buttons before releasing the update.
The previous bluetooth start/stop bug suggests that BMD never tested recording start/stop. Thats a pretty fundamental feature of a camera. Very simple stuff to test one would think.

Another great aspect of being a Blackmagic user is that the company takes onboard feedback. So I think it's worth having a little grumble just to let them know that users expect their cameras to be reliable. :)

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 29, 2018 8:25 pm

We test every build extensively Mike.

Your concerns have been heard.
We have a fix that we will have out ASAP.

Return to Cinematography