Canon 50mm f/1.8 stm lens

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rcalix1

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 7:45 am

Hello,

My kit:

Blackmagic micro cinema camera
Metabones metaboost t adapter

My issue is that i cannot focus this lens. On manual focus,
The ring on the lend does not adjust the focus. I have updated the
Firmware and tried different settings.

Any ideas?

Denny Smith

Re: Canon 50mm f/1.8 stm lens

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 6:56 pm

The T adapter for Ef to MFT is onlymlisted as having focus control with Panasonic Cameras, can you control the iris? The only EF adapter that I know of that works properly with the BM MFT Mount Cameras, For Pocket and Micro csmeras, is the Metabone BMPCC Speed Bososter, which has a firmware update to work with the Micro Cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rcalix1

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi Denny,

Yes, the iris works with the forward and reverse
Buttons on the micro bmmcc . I can see the image getting darker
Or brighter.

I am using an stm lens but with manual focus. The ring does not
Do anything when i try to adjust focus. Manually turning the ring.

I think i have the right metaboost adapter. The name on the
Adapter says: EF - BMPCC T speed booster. Is the T the issue? I saw many
People using this adapter. On the box it says mb_spef_bmpcc_bt1

I am just confused if i have the wrong metabones adapter, or if it does
Not work with the micro, or if there is something defective with the
Hardware, or something else like settings on my camera.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 pm

No, you have the right adapter,Mtls T shows it is a later model. The 50mm STM is not a true manual focus lens, the STM indicates it has a stepping motor to control focus and was designed to work with Canon AF lenses. It’s “manual focus” mode is focus by wire, and you need to set the lens switch to “MF”. That said, not all Canon EF lenses work with BM cameras.

I have no personal expereince with this (STM) series of lenses. If you have access to a Canon EF csmera, try the lens on a Canon camera to see if this feature is actually working, if so, and not on the Micro Camera, then it is not one of the compatible lenses.

There is a list of know working Canon lenses on the Cinematography Forum, at the top. I just checked, and this lens and the other STM lenses are not on the list. The STM lenses may be using a different Canon protocol and may only work with Canon cameras. Welcome to the world of Canon, crippled by design, limited to their applications.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 3:51 am

I have the old plastic Canon 50mm 1.8 and can confirm that focus works with the bmpcc t speedbooster and the micro. I have it on as we speak. Ensure its on manual focus and update your speedbooster and micros firm ware. The speedbooster has a USB under a little plug and the bottom of the micro has a usb.

As the newer 50 is STM that means it has a better focus motor than my old 50 and might be different in that reguard. I hope it works out as I was considering grabbing the STM version as it has a nicer focus ring.

kdemotorsports

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 1:34 pm

I can confirm 100% the lens & speed booster combo does work. So must be a version of the lens or firmware issue. I have the BMPCC T adapter as well from metabones in combination with the Canon 50mm f1.8 STM Lens. Auto focus does not work but focus and f-stops work fine. The buttons on the front of the camera step up and down f-stops and the focus ring adjusts focus as expected. So this combination should work. I was just using it this weekend. I have the one little remote coming soon and I'm hoping that works with all of this too which I'm assuming it will since the camera does in fact make adjustments correctly. Again the only feature that doesn't work on mine is the AF. Do you have the lens set to MF when you're trying the focus ring?

Return to Cinematography