another advantage of RAW - power loss.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

George Leon

another advantage of RAW - power loss.

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Just a quick non-obvious advantage of shooting with a RAW format (if you haven't encountered this before).

BMD RAW video is saved as individual DNG files per frame. In the case of powerloss during shooting, you should have most of your shot intact. When shooting to a single file format like .mov (eg. ProRes), the risk is that the entire file gets corrupted or maybe never written (finalised) at all.

Does this happen in practice with single files? I think so but I can't remember an incident. But I just shot 3:1 RAW with Micro Cines and had 3 power losses in a shoot (battery failure), and worried the shots were lost. Nope, all the DNG files are there (maybe the odd one got lost at right at the end, no biggie).

As a programmer, I wonder how BMD have optimised individual frame file writing without loosing too much write performance (as the file index table has to be updated for every frame, or maybe it's only done every few frames). Pretty cool.
Last edited by George Leon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Leon

Re: another advantage of RAW - power loss.

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 11:01 pm

.. to followup, I've had a few battery failures with Prores lately, and happy to report that even they all survived intact. These cams seem to have a fault-tolerant design which is great. Maybe a bit of charge is stored, enough to flush the cards and file headers in case of power loss? Or maybe the file headers are regularly updated during recording.

Still, there's one more non-obvious advantage of RAW shooting (even though I shoot in both) - if you shot way too much at the start or end of a clip, but want to store the RAW footage efficiently (rather than just transcoding and discard), you can just delete as many individual DNG frame files as you need at each end in the OS. Or in the middle I suppose.

The downside is having to handle indvidual files for each frame, slower to copy/access and just not very clean.

Return to Cinematography