Having an issue with banding in noise with BMCC 2.5k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dominic Koo

Having an issue with banding in noise with BMCC 2.5k

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 2:03 am

Hey all, first time posting here.

Doing some pre-production testing with a BMCC 2.5k for a shoot sometime this month and I'm noticing some ripples? bands? For a better word in the noisy areas of the image.

First time using this specific model (Have used the BMCC4k, BMPC and BMMCC before), it belongs to the director, it looks in good condition, firmware is up to date.

It's also visible on the monitor when shooting.

I've uploaded some footage showing it on youtube but I'm not allowed to post URLs yet so I've attached two images that show it. Both shot raw, just different shutter angles and both with exposure raised in Resolve to better show the banding.

The lines move rapidly bottom to top and occasionally speed up/fluctuate, but remain uniform.

It's still visible in regular footage in darker areas, not as much but still obvious.

I've tried shooting without artificial light and with artificial light and the results are the same. I've either been shooting on internal battery or with an external battery, there was no power adapter so I haven't been able to test shooting while plugged in.

If anyone has any idea what's causing it or how to solve it, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
BMCC Noise 2.jpg
BMCC Noise 2.jpg (804.21 KiB) Viewed 355 times
BMCC Noise 1.jpg
BMCC Noise 1.jpg (831.5 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Return to Cinematography