1:1 Raw VS 4:1 Raw - is there an image quality loss?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eugene Afanasiev

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:13 am

Could someone point out about this clearly?
What exact differences are we dealing with?
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

rick.lang

Re: 1:1 Raw VS 4:1 Raw - is there an image quality loss?

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Eugene, raw 3:1 and raw 4:1 are considered to be visually lossless and that means in normal viewing of motion video you are not likely to see a quality difference “clearly.” But raw 4:1 means that there is about one quarter of the information in the file compared to the uncompressed raw option. If you pixel peep an individual complex DNG frame shot in raw and raw 3:1 or 4:1, there is a difference you can feel but it’s primarily related to the degree of detail. The algorithm attempts to ensure there’s no apparent colour loss, but some detail is diminished.

In practical terms, raw 3:1 is likely the most popular choice that still provides the best balance of the trade offs. In other words, in a real video, you may not be aware of any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Eugene Afanasiev

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Thanks! Copy that.
But what is about the situations, where it actually be visible?

Also, would there be a quality drop if I'd transcode DNG to DNxHR 444 12 bit?
__
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Eugene, “the devil is in the details.” Many shots are not overly concerned with reproduction of all details. For example when people are the principal subject, having a little less detail Kay be a good thing. Try a comparison test of raw versus raw 4:1 yourself in the situations you shoot and you may not see anything amiss.

Transcoding to DNxHR 444 is a good option in preserving the quality of whichever raw option you shoot.

Rick Lang

Eugene Afanasiev

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Copy that!
Thanks a lot!
__

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 10:17 pm

10-4.

Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 8:38 pm

It's very difficult to answer to you. It's very image driven. If you shoot low light you can see difference in fpn, i saw that more compressed picture show more fpn than less compressed (i talk about very underexposed pictures), if shoot Common well esposed pictures i not saw directly a very big difference between raw, raw 3:1 raw 4:1, if you need to push a lots you can see difference. But if you ask me i prefer raw 4:1 then prores 444 be cause i have different way to develop in davinci or similar app.
The Best obviously is to shoot 3:1 and raw uncompressed for low light. Anyway i did many lowlight test with 4:1 with eccellente result (i shoot without think.to recover 5 stop but shoot to keep that esposure).
if you can, you can shoot uncompressed. And later compress with slimraw what you need to archive it.

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 2:22 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:But if you ask me i prefer raw 4:1 then prores 444 be cause i have different way to develop in davinci or similar app.

I'm afraid there is no similar app. Only Resolve works with the compressed RAW. That might be a consideration if you need to hand your footage out to somebody else with different systems. You'd need uncompressed or ProRes then.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

JacobSchuhle

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 am

Uli Plank wrote:I'm afraid there is no similar app. Only Resolve works with the compressed RAW. That might be a consideration if you need to hand your footage out to somebody else with different systems. You'd need uncompressed or ProRes then.

There is a program that converts compressed RAW back to raw (unfortunately I can't remember the name as I don't use it in my workflow). I think its about £50 for a license.

Personally I have started shooting everything in 4:1 RAW. I like the flexibility it gives me in post, and the size saving over high quality ProRes. I haven't had any issues so far.

@Rick; 4:1 means its compressed to 1/4 the size of an uncompressed RAW DNG, not that 1/4 of the original information is present.

Daniel Bănică

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 9:56 am

JacobSchuhle wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:I'm afraid there is no similar app. Only Resolve works with the compressed RAW. That might be a consideration if you need to hand your footage out to somebody else with different systems. You'd need uncompressed or ProRes then.

There is a program that converts compressed RAW back to raw (unfortunately I can't remember the name as I don't use it in my workflow). I think its about £50 for a license.

Personally I have started shooting everything in 4:1 RAW. I like the flexibility it gives me in post, and the size saving over high quality ProRes. I haven't had any issues so far.

@Rick; 4:1 means its compressed to 1/4 the size of an uncompressed RAW DNG, not that 1/4 of the original information is present.

The name of the app is slimRAW

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 am

Uli Plank wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:But if you ask me i prefer raw 4:1 then prores 444 be cause i have different way to develop in davinci or similar app.

I'm afraid there is no similar app. Only Resolve works with the compressed RAW. That might be a consideration if you need to hand your footage out to somebody else with different systems. You'd need uncompressed or ProRes then.
If i give to someother my shooting i never give him raw, ever prores/cineform developed, in past years i saw so many terrible developing from raw. Or i shooted for delivery right in prores 422 or hq.
But i bought a Bmd to be able to shoot in raw. Rarely (only when i know very well the colorist) i given raw files.

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography