Micro Studio and Studio F stop discrepancies

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jolyonhennings

Micro Studio and Studio F stop discrepancies

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi,
I have just taken delivery of the 4K micro-studio and the 4K studio cameras. Both have a Lumix 7-14 lens fitted.

The Micro Studio is about 2-3 F stops brighter than the Studio. Both are set to 0dB gain.

The Studio shows as f4 on the built-in screen. We can not find this feature on the micro but have opened up the aperture as wide as it will go so assume this is also f4 as it is the native stop on the lens.

What are we missing? Why are the outputs SO different. We can obviously brighten the Studio by adding gain (12dB seems about right) or dim the micro buy adding f-stops but this is not very satisfactory as I was expecting both to have the exact same output.

Thanks in advance.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Micro Studio and Studio F stop discrepancies

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 pm

jolyonhennings wrote:Hi,
I have just taken delivery of the 4K micro-studio and the 4K studio cameras. Both have a Lumix 7-14 lens fitted.

The Micro Studio is about 2-3 F stops brighter than the Studio. Both are set to 0dB gain.

The Studio shows as f4 on the built-in screen. We can not find this feature on the micro but have opened up the aperture as wide as it will go so assume this is also f4 as it is the native stop on the lens.

What are we missing? Why are the outputs SO different. We can obviously brighten the Studio by adding gain (12dB seems about right) or dim the micro buy adding f-stops but this is not very satisfactory as I was expecting both to have the exact same output.

Thanks in advance.

The Micro Studio was updated recently and at 0dB, will be 2 stops brighter than the Studio Camera 4K.

jolyonhennings

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 5:39 am

So this is just a firmware update? or hardware?

The Studio is a Studio 2

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am

It was a software update that is only possible on the Micro Studio camera.

If you want them to match roll back 2 versions of the firmware in the microstudio camera..

You will see that it comes close to the Studio 2 camera.. But is utterly dark and not very useable in not well lit conditions..

I guess this update is not possible to the Studio cameras due too different hardware or sensor specs.. Otherwise we would have seen the same fix by now.. The fix for the Micro studio camera came out nov / dec last year..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Just re-match the gain settings, by setting the Micro at a -6 dB should get them to match, or stop down the Micro camera’s lens to get the two cameras to match.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography