Feature Request: Viewfinder Zoom Indicator

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Robert Betzner

Feature Request: Viewfinder Zoom Indicator

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi,

I would like to point out that there is absolutely no indicator in the viewfinder that it is zoomed in for focusing purposes. The studio viewfinder adds a rectangle in the top left corner to indicate that the viewfinder is in zoomed in mode. But the regular eye-viewfinder doesn't indicate anything.

It is very dangerous as it is possible to shoot with zoomed in viewfinder. The framing would then be totally off.

So please BMD add an indication to the viewfinder that it is in zoomed in mode for focusing like in the studio viewfinder!

Thanks and Cheers

Robert

Denny Smith

Re: Feature Request: Viewfinder Zoom Indicator

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Which camera are you referring to?
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JacobSchuhle

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Which camera are you referring to?

Ursa Mini I assume.

Adam Silver

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:33 pm

He's talking about the URSA Viewfinder. I shot with it zoomed in by accident, not realizing I didn't zoom back out before shooting.

Adam

Peter Benson

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 3:04 am

WowJustWOW!
Good call, except I've no idea which model Blackmagic Design camera you're requesting this obviously-needed feature refinement for, Robert. Which camera?

Robert Betzner wrote:Hi...there is absolutely no indicator in the viewfinder that it is zoomed in for focusing purposes. The studio viewfinder adds a rectangle in the top left corner to indicate that the viewfinder is in zoomed in mode. But the regular eye-viewfinder doesn't indicate anything.

Resolve Studio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

joelfrances

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 8:44 am

I can't speak for Robert and his gear. But I have the issue with the Ursa Viewfinder on the Ursa Mini. In run & gun scenario's you can forget you're in magnified/zoom mode. A small icon/gentle reminder of some sort would be nice.
Joel

Robert Betzner

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 11:27 am

Hi,

it doesn't depend on the camera. The issue is the same on all cameras you use the viewfinder for. If you use the zoom in feature on the viewfinder there is absolutely no indication that the viewfinder is zoomed in. As Adam and Joel stated there is a good chance that you forget about the zoomed in viewfinder and shoot with odd framing.

There should be an indicator (like the rectangle in the upper left corner of the studio viewfinder), when the regular viewfinder is in zoomed in mode.

We use the viewfinder with the UMP and UB for the record.

Cheers

Robert

JacobSchuhle

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Robert Betzner wrote:Hi,

it doesn't depend on the camera. The issue is the same on all cameras you use the viewfinder for. If you use the zoom in feature on the viewfinder there is absolutely no indication that the viewfinder is zoomed in. As Adam and Joel stated there is a good chance that you forget about the zoomed in viewfinder and shoot with odd framing.

There should be an indicator (like the rectangle in the upper left corner of the studio viewfinder), when the regular viewfinder is in zoomed in mode.

We use the viewfinder with the UMP and UB for the record.

Cheers

Robert

Agreed!

Stephen Press

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 10:35 pm

When I used the camera on my very first shoot I accidentally pushed the zoom mode on the viewfinder as I adjusted it. My first 3 shots were framed totally wrong before I realized what was going on. Of course now I'm aware that if there are no characters in the viewfinder at all, then its in zoom mode, if you like the absence of information is information... but yeah it would be good to have some sort of indicator :)
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 am

I always shoot with thirds turned On. So in the actual view, the thirds looks.as you expect. When you zoom in, the thirds lines don’t shrink so It’s immediately obvious when you are zoomed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

JacobSchuhle

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 am

rick.lang wrote:I always shoot with thirds turned On. So in the actual view, the thirds looks.as you expect. When you zoom in, the thirds lines don’t shrink so It’s immediately obvious when you are zoomed in.

I never shoot with thirds on, and wouldn't always have meters etc. on either. I know about the zoom issue and it still nearly tripped me up on Friday. It would be a great feature to have, even if it was toggle-able.

Robert Betzner

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Rick,

I know that you are a superman but not everyone is so failsave and wise like you. ;)

So for simple and dumb camera guys like me it would be awesome to have an indication that the viewfinder is magnified like on every other viewfinder in the world - even the studio viewfinder of BMD has that.

Cheers

Robert

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Jacob and Robert, I was just letting you know how I try to avoid the problem. In the meantime, but I do fully support any other option developed by BMD to remind the camera person the Viewfinder or Monitor is zoomed in.

Rick Lang

Robert Betzner

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 6:56 am

Hello Rick,

I didn't want to offend you in any way if you interpreted it like this. But for me it is really hard in a run and gun situation to have in mind that no information in the viewfinder at all is the indicator that it is magnified.

If you use the viewfinder in controlled enviroments like feature films that might be an option and you have the time to remember this. But if you use the viewfinder for ENG it is really dangerous because you can't repeat any shot and have other things in mind than this. So it's vital for these users to have a clear indication that the viewfinder is magnified.

Cheers

Robert

Mike Potton

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 am

I have also accidentally recorded with off framing while zoomed in using the viewfinder. A simple request that would save a few headaches for sure.

Tristan Pemberton

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 12:43 pm

It caught me out once too.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

rick.lang

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 6:37 am

Robert, I took your remarks as tongue-in-cheek and not at all offended. Lord knows I make at least one mistake at every shoot, so haven’t reached Superman status... yet!

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography