Hanging & Mounting Quasar Science Lights

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gregg Guzman

Hanging & Mounting Quasar Science Lights

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 pm

I'm thinking about buying 4 4ft daylight balanced Quasar Science tube lights. My question is how you'd recommend I hang and mount the lights. I know you can use gaffer's tape, but I'd prefer something more sturdy.

Looking online it looks like the best way to hang the light is using a c-stand with a Modern Studio Quasar Tube Lamp Holder attached to it. The lights are only $75, and the stands are ~$150 - so my question is... Would you use a c-stands to hang these lights or is a more cost effecient way to hang and mount these lights?

Also, if I buy 4 c-stands what else could I use them for? I'm aware of using them to hang flags for lighting, or potentially using them to hang my camera above subjects for tabletop photography. Any other uses, or places I can learn online about how to use c-stands?

Also, any recommendations on where I could purchase used c-stands? I'd be okay buying used.

michaeldhead

Re: Hanging & Mounting Quasar Science Lights

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 pm

C-stands are amazing, and as long as you get sandbags to weigh them down, they are amazing supports for lights, flags, cameras...a lot of things.

I'm not sure about used c-stands, but you generally get what you pay for. I can't think of a another free-standing system of light support that is as cost-effective while being safe.

Here's a good video on c-stand basics, but you can find a lot more:
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Tristan Pemberton

Re: Hanging & Mounting Quasar Science Lights

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:35 pm

I think C-stands are overkill for a single Quasar.

I'm looking at retro-fitting a chines kino copy with LED strip lights. There's lots of way of mounting, or applying these lights to shooting situations.

You might find this article useful:
https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/05/11/ ... ent-world/

Also, check out what these guys are doing:
https://waveformlighting.com
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Return to Cinematography