BMMCC Composite Video

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

peteski007

BMMCC Composite Video

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 8:05 pm

I cant seam to get a composite video signal. I have tried through 2 different expansion cables. The composite output is set to NTSC. Anyone else with this issue? Im setting it up for video transmission through a TS832 transmitter.

EDIT: My Camera is brand new. Never used. All other cables work fine. except for Composite
Last edited by peteski007 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

Re: BMMCC Composite Video

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 pm

What are you trying to display it on? Have you tried a SD monitor? The composite,output is going to be a SD, not HD signal. Will give mine a try, and see if it works.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

peteski007

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes of course. I have an older Samsung Tv with composite input. Im able to get a signal from my cable box through composite video so I know the tv works with that signal.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Just checked, mine works, sends out a Composite B&W signal (better for pulling focus and checking exposure). Tested it with a BM Smart View Monitor, using an Analog to SDI Converter, which is why I probably got a B&W signal.

You are using the yellow RCA jack and not the BMC connection? Also, make sure your DB15 plug is fully seated, and screwed in with the little knob screws on the connector. Thismpkug is very picky and it needs to be completely plugged in.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

peteski007

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 pm

I have tried 3 different cables (one of which was custom made) and 2 different monitors.
Every other portion of the cables work fine. Im begining to conclude that the Composite Output on the camera is no good. I am knowledgeable in video cables and the formats. This was more asking if anyone else have this issue before and knew some BMMCC trick

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 10:41 pm

OK, was not sure of your experience. I did discover with mine, thr db15 plug could look secure and a little wiggle got it working with my remote control box. Toy can contact your regional BM Support office and see what help they can provide.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 4:46 am

A bit off topic but would the BMMCC composite be good for a budget wireless focus pull in terms of latency and resolution?

Dmytro Shijan

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 6:02 am

Really strange problem. I used Composite output in early days without any problems with SmallHD DP4 and 7" OEM China CCTV monitor as well.
Resolution was very low and status bar text almost impossible to read.

Did you try to switch Monitor and camera output to PAL/NTSC modes?
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

peteski007

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 2:07 pm

I have made every attempt at different settings, different cables, different monitors. Last thing I wanted to do was have my camera serviced or replaced. I haven't even shot more than 5 min of footage with it.
If the internal composite cable connection was installed incorrectly or loose it could cause damage to more than just my camera itself.

peteski007

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Ryan Payne wrote:A bit off topic but would the BMMCC composite be good for a budget wireless focus pull in terms of latency and resolution?

There is no power that passes through the 15 pin. So don't believe you could get anything to work in that way. There are ways to build a focus system. If you have a 4/3 motorized lense then you can assign one of your PWM cables to create wireless focus.

Denny Smith

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Well, actually there is +5VDC Lanc power on pin 14, and if you use the external,power connection, you have 12vdc on that part of the connector. I would have the camera checked.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:21 am

I was more interested in the picture quality through composite and if it's good enough to judge critical focus? I'd use external power to power anything.

Denny Smith

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:46 am

The composite video,out, is a downres SD image, that can be used for framing and setting focus, but not what I would call critical focus.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve Watson

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 am

Hi,

I've used the composite video out via my little box when I had camera on a ronin on a tripod high up, operating the camera with the ronin remote - when we didn't have a long enough HDMI, but had a long BNC. It is possible to use the composite for focus if you have focus peaking on but it's not a great picture.

peteski007

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The composite video,out, is a downres SD image, that can be used for framing and setting focus, but not what I would call critical focus.
Cheers

I agree to this. Composite is fine for framing.

peteski007

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 pm

UPDATE!!!!!

I returned my BMMCC to Amazon and it was replaced within 3 days.
The new camera has arrived and the COMPOSITE OUTPUT WORKS

BUT..........NOW A NEW ISSUE!!! not necessarily related to BMMCC but somewhat related.

I KNOW the composite signal works now and I am using a composite transmitter (ts832) it was cheep and used to use it back in the day with my DJI PHANTOM 1 (I just aged myself). GETTING NO IMAGE

I have heard that some larger composite monitors cant accept this signal. Can that be true?

I am using the GREMSY T3 gimbal for this set up. (great gimbal for the bmmcc btw)

Return to Cinematography