Best Practice/LUT for B&W Final Output

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ric Murray

Best Practice/LUT for B&W Final Output

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 11:09 am

I am looking at a feature length project that will be finished in Black & White. I will be shooting with the BM Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K and will be monitoring on a FSI AM240 on set via SDI. I am curious if anyone else has worked with this combination and your work flow. I am thinking that ProRes will be adequate rather than the extra data load/processing of RAW.
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

Ric Murray

Re: Best Practice/LUT for B&W Final Output

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am

Nobody has ever done this?
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

Mike Potton

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 am

Care to explain exactly what advise your after? You mention a LUT in the subject, but then don't mention it in your post.

In regards to your post. Yes your camera will work with an external monitor and yes Prores will be fine.

A google search will also yield some results.
https://davidtorcivia.com/articles/beyond-desaturation-converting-color-to-black-and-white

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm

like Mike told you with the link, shooting for black and white is more than a lut.
b/w with a color sensor is difficult to shoot with a single lut. In past with film you can use colored filter to contrast and lighten different color, red, yellow and green filter.
Today with the exception of b/w sensor from Red or Arri (a very limited number of cameras) obviously shoot in color then in post build your black and white movie.
remember that different channel have different noise and different structure, then you can do all in post, but sometimes is good to shoot with a color instead another to have a better grey channel, like in the old era where people have green cream on face to have some shade of grey and also men have lipstick.
the best is to do some shooting test and some grey convertion with a skilled colorist for black and white or you risk to have more noise and less dectails in some part of picture.

Return to Cinematography