Voltage/Power question for BMPC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JeremyEzekiel

Voltage/Power question for BMPC4K

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 4:39 am

Hey guys,

I have a black magic Production Camera 4k and a couple Juicebox V-Mount Batteries. I just received my Tilta Cage. This cage is originally made for the older Black Magic Cinema Camera 2.5k but fits the 4k perfectly well. It includes an IDX battery mount plate and a whole bunch of power outlets and cables that can all go into the power input of the camera:

8V power cable.
12V power cable.
14.8V DTAP to camera power cable.

Now the 8V cable is labeled "for camera", and the others are not labelled anything. But when I look at the power cable that comes with the camera (power outlet in the wall to camera), it says 12V. I wonder if the older BMCC needed 8V input and the BMPC4K needs 12V?

I haven't tried anything yet, I'm too scared of frying my camera haha. Can anybody help me untangle this please?

Denny Smith

Re: Voltage/Power question for BMPC4K

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 pm

They all use 12-16 VDC, 8 VDC is for Small DSLR type Cameras thst have 7.2 VDC battery, like the Pocket/Micro Cameras, if you are using a dummy battery, in place of a real battery, connected to the big IDX battery plate. Use thr 14.8VDC DTap power connection for the Production Camera, this will give the best battery life. The 12VDC can be used for an external monitor, or other 12VDC accessory. The 12VDC connection should also work, but the 14.8VDC connection is best.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JeremyEzekiel

Re: Voltage/Power question for BMPC4K

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Awesome! Thanks a lot Denny.

Return to Cinematography