Blackmagic Cinema Camera 4K Autofocus and Zoom

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

nbayit

Blackmagic Cinema Camera 4K Autofocus and Zoom

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 am

I am in the process of looking for a new video camera and not sure if this camera is the right fit or not. I have been looking at Camcorders and when I saw this thought it might be a better solution. I do need Autofocus and Zoom. Also to be able to use them simultaneously like on a camcorder. Is this possible with this camera?

Gene Kochanowsky

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera 4K Autofocus and Zoom

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 pm

nbayit wrote:I am in the process of looking for a new video camera and not sure if this camera is the right fit or not. I have been looking at Camcorders and when I saw this thought it might be a better solution. I do need Autofocus and Zoom. Also to be able to use them simultaneously like on a camcorder. Is this possible with this camera?

This camera does not have continuous autofocus. I think it has a focus button, but if it's like any of their other implementations, it will not be fast or reliable. It may support zoom by wire but it's not clear how it would do that since there is no lanc and I do not know if there will be a reliable wireless solution.

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera 4K Autofocus and Zoom

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Specifically, which camera are you referring to? The new Pocket 4K or a Ursa Mini 4K, or the original Cinema Production camera 4K, that looks like the original Cinema Camera? On the later, only the EF version as “push-to-focus” AF.

None of BM’s cameras have continuous auto focus, only a punch to focus that works for pulling a initial focus by pressing the focus button, and holding it down until subject is in focus. In the newer BN cameras, this works better than on the early ones, but not really very fast. Zoom depends on the lens, and many of the still camera zooms are not motorized (zoom Servo) and are usually not parfocal.

If yiu are looking for a tradition camcorder type of zoom lens and continuous auto focus, then yiu need to look elsewhere. The closest camera to a traditional camcorder is the new Ursa Broadcast camera that takes Servo controlled zoom and focus B4 lenses. This is a $3500 Camera and B4 zooms on the recommend list are $3-6K for used lenses.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography