Video Village Setup

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

hemsky8321

Video Village Setup

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 pm

What is an affordable option to setup a monitor with the Black Magic URSA Mini 4.6k? Is there WiFi capabilities in this context?

I like the SDI to HDMI converters, but running a long SDI cable out to a monitor seems to inhibit the cameras handheld moving capabilities and smoothness, since we will be shooting on location.

Thanks for any and all help!

Tristan Pemberton

Video Village Setup

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 pm

If you want to be cable free you'll definitely need a zero latency wireless system. Each system is designed for certain distances - the further the distance rated, the more expensive the unit.

I recently rented a Vaxis Storm 500 RF system. It worked incredibly well, and outperforms the equivalent Teradek Bolt system with a substantial saving. It came bundled with cables to power the transmitter from the camera's d-tap. But decent zero latency video over RF isn't cheap - they start at about US$2000.

For a preview monitor, the BMD SmartView 4K is very decent, especially for the price - US$995. Maybe some others here may offer cheaper alternatives, but this is what I'd be looking at for a basic budget remote monitoring system.

Maybe rent something before committing to a purchase.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Ivon Visalli

Re: Video Village Setup

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 10:59 pm

I've owned a Teradek Bolt 600 for a couple of years now. It's a great piece of gear. I have the SDI/HDMI version which allows for flexibility using monitors.

Return to Cinematography