For wide angle shots...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ugo

For wide angle shots...

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 6:33 am

Tokina 11-16/2.8 or Canon EF14/2.8 L II USM?

DGFilms

Re: For wide angle shots...

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 am

+ The Sigma 17-50mm if you need something with IS

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 am

ugo wrote:Tokina 11-16/2.8 or Canon EF14/2.8 L II USM?

Easy: I guarantee you that the Tokina is noticeably wider than the Canon, and that the Canon is not >3 times sharper than the Tokina (given the >3 times price difference). But you might like the Canon, so whichever you prefer is the right answer for you. Cheers.

Scott Pultz

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 7:24 am

Sigma 8-16 gets you pretty wide

Thomas Schumacher

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 12:03 pm

And with a cheap matte box from owldolly you even can use filters on the sigma's wide end.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

ugo

PostSat Apr 27, 2013 5:34 pm

I appreciate the responses. I'm wondering if there are any videos out there that show a comparison of these lenses on the BMCC.

Thomas Schumacher

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 1:53 am

ugo wrote:I appreciate the responses. I'm wondering if there are any videos out there that show a comparison of these lenses on the BMCC.

I've made a quick, very unscientific and very short comparison (while I'm here on holiday without any tools) between Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 8-16, actually it was a comparison between 7D and BMC using these two lenses, might help anyway:

https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

ugo

PostSun Apr 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks, gmf. I like the image out of the Tokina more in your video.

DGFilms

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:

Easy: I guarantee you that the Tokina is noticeably wider than the Canon, and that the Canon is not >3 times sharper than the Tokina (given the >3 times price difference). But you might like the Canon, so whichever you prefer is the right answer for you. Cheers.

Tokina is sharper by far.. for the cost anyway, but is not weather proof/sealed like the canon, that's what the extra cost covers when you buy L series canon glass, mildew/mold/fungus on the inside of the lens etc...

Tip: cover your cheap lenses and try not to use them in humid damp rainy climates, also going from hot to cold or vice versa, Try and gradually introduce the cheap lens from temperature fluctuation.

or maybe not.. you be the judge
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38195610

Christian Schmeer

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 2:44 pm

I have the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 and I really like it! Although it was made for APS-C size sensors, at 16mm it works great on a 5D Mark III as well - even well enough for 22 Megapixel still images: http://www.christianschmeer.com/Annoush ... llery-2013
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

sean mclennan

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 4:47 pm

DGFilms wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:

Tokina is sharper by far.. for the cost anyway, but is not weather proof/sealed like the canon, that's what the extra cost covers when you buy L series canon glass, mildew/mold/fungus on the inside of the lens etc...

Tip: cover your cheap lenses and try not to use them in humid damp rainy climates, also going from hot to cold or vice versa, Try and gradually introduce the cheap lens from temperature fluctuation.

or maybe not.. you be the judge
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/38195610

That's funny. A bikini shoot on a hot and very humid cruise ship 8 years ago is the whole reason I dumped my Tamron and bought the Canon L equivalent. The front element didn't just fog, but all the internals too. My lens was useless for 2 hours. One of the other shooters had the 24-70L and he was fine after 5 minutes. I don't regret purchasing L glass since then. They are built like tanks and work in ANY environment or conditions.

I would get the 16-35 before the 14mm though. That 2 mm is not that big of a deal and the flexibility of the zoom is nice. Having said that, they are nowhere near as wide as 8 or 11...if you need that wide, there are only a few choices.

rick.lang

PostWed May 01, 2013 4:36 am

sean mclennan wrote:I would get the 16-35 before the 14mm though. That 2 mm is not that big of a deal and the flexibility of the zoom is nice. Having said that, they are nowhere near as wide as 8 or 11...if you need that wide, there are only a few choices.

Sean, do you think you will give the Canon EOS Ciné 14.5-60mm zoom a go?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Shane Collins

PostWed May 01, 2013 1:24 pm

You can also throw the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 into the mix at the same price, longer range on both ends but a smaller aperture. I use it and there's no real noticeable distortion at 10mm on the BMCC

DGFilms

PostSun May 05, 2013 1:34 am

Temperature change has nothing to do with weather sealed, any and all plastics & metals have a tendency to induce moisture, when introduced to extreme temperature changes, get the facts straight, The Cannon L series does not include temperature extremes that can produce moisture from Below zero 0 °C freezing to 100 °C Celsius boiling, This is the reason mold can grow inside a lens, Going from one extreme to the next.

DGFilms

PostSun May 05, 2013 1:36 am

sean mclennan wrote:
DGFilms wrote:
That's funny. A bikini shoot on a hot and very humid cruise ship 8 years ago is the whole reason I dumped my Tamron and bought the Canon L equivalent. The front element didn't just fog, but all the internals too. My lens was useless for 2 hours. One of the other shooters had the 24-70L and he was fine after 5 minutes. I don't regret purchasing L glass since then. They are built like tanks and work in ANY environment or conditions.

I would get the 16-35 before the 14mm though. That 2 mm is not that big of a deal and the flexibility of the zoom is nice. Having said that, they are nowhere near as wide as 8 or 11...if you need that wide, there are only a few choices.

Temperature change has nothing to do with Canon L weather sealing, all glass, plastics & metals have a tendency to introduce moisture when introduced to extreme temperature changes, get the facts straight, The Cannon L series does not include or exclude temperature extremes that can produce moisture from Below zero 0 °C freezing to 100 °C Celsius boiling, actually many L lenses are not weather proof, in fact mold can grow inside any lens, Going from one extreme to the next, The Canon L lenses or more about Rain and water resistants... if that.

If you find yourself in extreme weather conditions it is recommended to slowly introduce your gear/lenses to the weather in a gradual way, I.E. Do not pull your lens from a warm Backpack into freezing conditions instantaneously.

FYI: This works both ways, Visa-Versa from Cold to Hot, Hot to Cold.

sean mclennan

PostMon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm

DGFilms wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:
DGFilms wrote:

Temperature change has nothing to do with Canon L weather sealing, all glass, plastics & metals have a tendency to introduce moisture when introduced to extreme temperature changes, get the facts straight, The Cannon L series does not include or exclude temperature extremes that can produce moisture from Below zero 0 °C freezing to 100 °C Celsius boiling, actually many L lenses are not weather proof, in fact mold can grow inside any lens, Going from one extreme to the next, The Canon L lenses or more about Rain and water resistants... if that.

If you find yourself in extreme weather conditions it is recommended to slowly introduce your gear/lenses to the weather in a gradual way, I.E. Do not pull your lens from a warm Backpack into freezing conditions instantaneously.

FYI: This works both ways, Visa-Versa from Cold to Hot, Hot to Cold.

You can say that all you want, it doesn't change the fact of what happened that day. The Tamron lens was useless for hours, the Canon L was good after 5 minutes. Only the front element had any condensation. None of the internals were affected. This is on the 24-70...which has an extending barrel. Obviously there is much better sealing. That's the whole point. My "facts" are sound. I've shot in -50C, +35C and everything in between. In rain and snow. I know what the weather sealing on the Canon L lenses I own can do and how they behave.

sean mclennan

PostMon May 06, 2013 4:59 pm

rick.lang wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:I would get the 16-35 before the 14mm though. That 2 mm is not that big of a deal and the flexibility of the zoom is nice. Having said that, they are nowhere near as wide as 8 or 11...if you need that wide, there are only a few choices.

Sean, do you think you will give the Canon EOS Ciné 14.5-60mm zoom a go?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Of course...if I could afford it or lived close to a rental house!

Cam Macduff

PostTue May 07, 2013 11:45 am

Not sure I'd agree. Just did a shoot a few weeks ago at night, and the temp was down to about 2 degrees C. My low cost Tokina performed rock solid while my partner with much nicer Canon lens had condensation on his front element for the best part of an hour.
We put it down to the fact my camera was already cold when I started shooting as I'd had it out of its bag well before putting it on my shoulder rig. He had kept his in its bag and in the car.

sean mclennan

PostTue May 07, 2013 3:44 pm

An hour? Condensation on his front element for an hour? Going from a warm car to 2C? That's um, pretty unusually. Never seen a warm lens getting condensation going to a cold exterior.

Listen, I get it. I get the whole fan base for 3rd party lenses. All the performance and less than half the price. I get it. However, you are not simply paying for the name with the L series. The weather sealing is exception in the L glass I have (24-70, 16-35, 70-200 and 200 f2). It's been proven to me by actual use in some pretty extreme environments.

Return to Cinematography