imminent BMPC & speedboosters

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dilithium

imminent BMPC & speedboosters

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi people,

Sorry, I did a search for this, but I'm still not much more the wiser. It's all rather new to me and I'm treading carefully. :-)

Having used the behemoth that is the full-size URSA, at work, I've decided to buy the new BMPCC 4K, when it's released in September. I have a good amount of Nikon full-frame lenses (14mm-500mm) and was considering a Speed-booster rather than buying a bunch of MFT lenses. At least, for now.

After reading about the previous cameras, I can't figure out whether I would need a NIKON-F/G > MFT or a NIKON-F/G > BMPCC or a NIKON-F/G > BMCC... or something that hasn't even been released yet by Metabones?

I know the advertising blurb says the new camera has an MFT mount; so, I'm presuming I would simply need a NIKON-G > MFT, but all the various BM Metabones versions has thrown me. I presume it's because the earlier camera sensors were ever-so-slightly smaller than MFT, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the focal distance from the back of the speed-booster to the BM sensors were more/less than standard, too.

Sorry about the long-winded question. I get a bit anxious about all this stuff. :-/

Thanks,

Neil
Ryzen 3900x
128GB RAM
RTX 3090
Decklink 8K Pro
BMPCC4K

Denny Smith

Re: imminent BMPC & speedboosters

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 4:32 pm

The new Pocket 4K should work,with the Metabones Nikon/MFT Ultra or XL, depending on weather yiu want a S35 or something closer to Full Frame Field of View. The BMPCC Ir BMCC SB will only work in a crop HD window mode, as they were designed for significantly smaller sensors (S16 and 1.5-inch respective). The new Pocket 4K has a full size MFT sensor, which is close to Academy 35 (2-perf) in size.

That said, depending on how well the existing two new MFT SB (XL and Ultra MFT) work, Metabones my develop a SB specifically for the Pocket 4K, but that would be in the future, after thr camera’s release.
I have Zeiss ZF lenses, and will probably get the Ultra Model (x0.71), as it works better with the GH5S and Pocket 4Ks larger sensor, also I like the S35 FOV over Fulk Frame. I used the original SB MFT (also a 0.71 correction) on the AF100 which has a similar size sensor to the new Pocket 4K. This mode is the least expensive, as used ones are available. But the new U,Tara has some nice improvements and will work better with Nikon G lenses.

The SB XL was designed for the GH4/5, which has a smaller sensor, so it is really on the edge of vignetting (APC-S lenses will vignette) when used in the GH5S/Pocket 4K’s larger sensor. The Ultra gives a better crop correction for Cine/Video shooting, which is easier to work out, as a 35mm gives the FOV of 50mm on FF, and 35mm is the normal 45-degree AOV for S35. A 25mm gives a a 35mm FOV, etc, easy to work out FOV if you are familiar with full frame 135mm shooting. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dilithium

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks for your lengthy reply Denny. Most appreciated. So, basically, what I took from that was...

The imminent BMPCC has a full-sized MFT sensor and the MB Ultra should take my full-frame lenses without any vignetting?

Thanks again,

Neil
Ryzen 3900x
128GB RAM
RTX 3090
Decklink 8K Pro
BMPCC4K

Denny Smith

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Correct. The new Pocket has the same size sensor as the Panny GH5S, which is larger than the GH4/5.
The Ultra SB has an expansion factor of 0.71, so you should be fine.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

EspenRekdal

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have a super35 lens I would love to use with the Bmpcc4k what speed booster would be the best? I’m using it with the dedicated BmCc speed booster atm- on the original BMCC MFT camera and it’s just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 9:26 pm

I would use the Metabones Ultra (x0.71) to get a similar FOV as you are getting now. However, since the camera is not out yet, Metabones may come out with a SB specifically for this camera, so I would wait and see.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 12:26 am

Got my eye on the viltox em-2, its just so much cheaper an option not to consider even if it requires a small back focus agjustment. Optically and physically looks to be a complete copy. Will wait to see how the first wave of pocket 4k users go before deciding if i actually need it or just want it haha.

Jack Fairley

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 1:05 am

Denny Smith wrote:I would use the Metabones Ultra (x0.71) to get a similar FOV as you are getting now. However, since the ca era is not out yet, Metsbones may come out with a SB specifically for this camera, so I would wait and see.
Cheers

In another thread Brian Caldwell postulated that it might be possible to adapt his 0.5x Q666 design for the Pocket 4K. It would certainly be interesting.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 3:09 am

Jack, that’s what I’m waiting to hear before purchasing a Metabones Speedbooster. That’s one advantage of having the SLR Magic APO primes as their coverages are actually larger than 135 film ‘full frame.’ With the 18.96mm horizontal of the Pocket4K sensor and the 0.5x focal reducer, one will get an impressive angle of view out of the modest mFT camera. And pair that resulting faster aperture with that Dual ISO and you have a very capable camera in situations where the URSA Mini 4.6K might stumble. Of course nailing focus will be a greater challenge. Hope Focus Peaking rides to the rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jack Fairley

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 pm

I hope to liquidate my modest collection in favor of such a setup, once everything is available. A more professional version of my BMPCC + 0.58x EF-MFT + still lens collection :D
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Cinematography